J Walking

J Walking

Christians beware – Understand your political worth

posted by J-Walking

Few things were as telling about the White House and how they view evangelical voters (and leaders) than this paragraph from the AP story of Ted Haggard, “White House spokesman Tony Fratto said Haggard was on the weekly calls between Bush aides and evangelical leaders only ‘a couple’ of times. The minister has visited the White House, but ‘there’ve been a lot of people who’ve come to the White House,’ Fratto said. He expressed confidence that evangelical voters can distinguish between an individual’s problems and the GOP’s agenda.”

A White House that has relied on Pastor Haggard’s support for the past six years has effectively kicked him to the curb. He is no longer of any use – faith or no faith and the White House’s true compassion is revealed: a passion for evangelical votes on Tuesday.

There isn’t any compassion for a pastor’s fall or a man’s disgrace or anything else, just a passion that the White House’s god – politics – be saved. Christians should pay as much attention to that as to anything else because here is the other truth – if the news had come out the other way and the story was purely made up? The White House would have been on the offensive attacking those who attacked the president’s “friend” Ted Haggard. This is all pretty disgusting.

HASH(0x93ee84c)

posted November 4, 2006 at 2:43 am

Crystal Methodists…

Zero-Equals-Infinity

posted November 4, 2006 at 3:40 am

The current administration is bankrupting America, both morally and financially. I hope Bush is impeached. Without question this is the most despotic, usurious, regressive, repressive and myopic administration in at least the last 100 years.

Sandra

posted November 4, 2006 at 4:12 am

I am glad you finally have come around to realize that the Bush administration has used the religious community for political purposes. I do not believe you will have any effect on most christians who voted for Bush because they have accepted him as their savior. They worship him. I will not vote in this election. I have not voted since the 2000 election and never thought of ever voting for Bush.

Gigi Harrison

posted November 4, 2006 at 4:30 am

David, you are my hero. I have been praying regularly for the Lord to raise up someone who would speak the truth to the so-called neo-conservatives and tell them that they have been seduced by the “dark side”. I’ve known from day 1 that Christians were being used and manipulated by the Emperor. I couldn’t understand how people could be so desperate for power that they couldn’t see what’s happening. As each year past, I kept thinking and praying, Lord surely you are going to reveal yourself to your people and let them know that you’re not a democrat or a republican and that you could care less about man-made organizations. I’ve been so grieved, so pained, then you come along. I don’t agree with everything you say you believe in, but I hope and pray that you will continue to show courage and speak up.

Kevin Young

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:06 am

Thank you for your kind words Sandra. And regarding the way that “state” has treated it’s whore “church” in this recent case, let us meditate on the divine wisdom and prophecy in the phrase: “A house divided against itself cannot stand”

Kevin Young

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:07 am

By the way, Gigi, and anyone interested you might be edified in exploring this blog: http://www.isbushantichrist.blogspot.com

john

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:15 am

Isn’t psychology wonderful? It predicts that when someone “protests too much”, when they attempt to control other’s behavior, they are overcompensating for their own fears. Thus, they are drawn down by that which they fear: their overactive subconscious eats them up. Repression is unhealthy. Ted is now learning this lesson. If he’d only heard Jesus’ message “Perfect Love casts out all fear.”

HASH(0x93f44ec)

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:22 am

Without question this is the most despotic, usurious, regressive, repressive and myopic administration in at least the last 100 years. Zero-Equals-Infinity Word!

Kevin

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:25 am

What’s that you say? Christians are hypocrites? When did this happen?!!!

HASH(0x93f5b08)

posted November 4, 2006 at 6:19 am

Christians are hypocrites? Why, who ever heard of such a thing?

Eddie

posted November 4, 2006 at 8:41 am

A True Christian’s faith is in God and Jesus and not in any preacher anyway. Unless they are so weak as to have to be told how to vote by holier than thou David Kuo, who is obviously a perfect, Bush-hating (democrat), it will have no affect-keep wishing David. Bush is not running on Tuesday. Wah, wah, wah.

charlene latimi

posted November 4, 2006 at 12:50 pm

I attend a large church also where the pastor have an unlisted number and he have a body guard to bring him in and ou of the sanctuary as if thinks his member will jump out from the corners and attack him Once he picked up garbage off the floor and asked me to put it in the garbage for him. I was reaching for his hand to shake it and instead of returning the greeting , that is what he did. I was deeply insulted and but not have surprised. I have seen him act one way in the pulpit and another way when he’ out of the focus. I have this small voice inside of me questioning his sincereity. He makes sure he sounds a trupet about anything that he does for the community or for anything ever Sunday just before offering, when Jesus said do your alms in secret and the Lord who sees in seret will reward us openly. This new exposure have helped me a lot to mske some worship changing.

Rick Shanley

posted November 4, 2006 at 1:19 pm

There is a side to this story that nobody really seems to talk about — the impact this has on the family structure. So many Christians spend their time bashing gays and opposing gay marriage for the sake of “preserving the family structure.” Yet, think of how the “family structure” would be saved if gays were treated with fairness and given the respect and rights they deserve: Ted Haggard likely would’ve never gotten married and, as a result, his wife and kids wouldn’t feel like crawling into a hole today.

Slash

posted November 4, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along. It’s the same regurgitated discussion that comes along about Christians and politics every time this happens. Christians are not the whore, btw. The whore are the politicians, and Christians are discovering that when you woo a whore and try to get into bed with her, if something happens she will run off. Ted just discovered how much you can trust a whore, and Evangelicals are too.

SkipChurch

posted November 4, 2006 at 2:36 pm

Charlene, you reach out to shake your pastor’s hand and instead he gives you some garbage. I’d be insulted too! When I was a teen the Episcopalian pastor in our town was a very aristocratic and conservative gentleman named Coatsworth Pinckney Lewis, descended from several of the Founding Fathers and a Virginia gentleman of the highest order. It so happened that President Johnson came to the parish one Sunday, and Rev. Lewis preached a sermon against the war in Viet Nam. The town was in an uproar! It was on the front page of the New York Times!It was the most astonishing, most courageous thing. My dad said, “LBJ is finished. When ministers of the caliber of Rev. Lewis have to lecture you from the pulpit on Christian values, you’ve well and truly lost your way.” I think very many Americans, Christians and non-Christians alike, would appreciate Christian leaders standing up for the values of Jesus of Nazareth, and showing a little courage and independence.The poor, the weak, the oppressed, and the down-trodden are still out there. Religious faith is strong in America, but I think the leadership has been seduced by the lures of political power. It need not be this way.

Kevin Young

posted November 4, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Slash, love your dismissive attitude. Just so you know; the church is the whore…the whore of Babylon as fortold in Revelation 17, “with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication”. She is drunk with the wine that is the blood of true saints, and the martyrs of Jesus Christ The beast she rides upon is the political system of today, the antichrist worldly kingdom. And they “shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them”.

Quackers

posted November 6, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Let me be up front with the statement that I’m not a religious person. That said, I DO care very much about my fellow Americans whatever their religious persuasion may be. It has been apparent to me for a long time that the GOP made the dicision very callously to invite Christians into the party for one reason only: their votes. Period.It is disgusting to watch good people being fleeced in this manner every election cycle and knowing that they are viewed as gullible fools who will be eternally satisfied with being thrown just enough crumbs between cycles to keep them as a dependable voting bloc. YUKK!!!!!! This is truly unconscionable and very un-Christian in my book. Nothing would please me more than to see an awakening by Christians and have them tell the parasitical GOP to go find another group of suckers.Another point to consider is the complicity of the leaders of the Evangelical faith who are complicit in this unhealthy relationship. If anyone thinks that James Dobson etc. isn’t aware of being used in such a despicable manner….well, what can I say? Good luck Christains, you are in for a bumpy ride.

curiouser and curiouser...

posted November 6, 2006 at 6:37 pm

Eddie, To paraphrase your ‘compassionate’ “Unless they are so weak as to have to be told how to vote by holier than thou” , um James Dobson? Jerry Falwell? Pat Robertson? Tony Perkins? Etc.