J Walking

J Walking

Walking with Jesus, Waiting for “60 Minutes”

posted by J-Walking

Jesus and I just took a walk through Central Park. It was a great relief from the small tempest blowing around a book I have written that will be out tomorrow and on “60 Minutes” tonight. Almost no one has seen the book yet – it doesn’t go on sale until tomorrow – save for a guy on MSNBC who somehow got a copy and spent several nights telling his audience what my book was about. Others in the media picked up on it and, since they didn’t have copies, simply repeated his lines. Tonight is the first time I get to tell a bit of my own story. Then a bunch more tomorrow and the days that follow.

In the book, I lay myself bare in describing my own journey with Jesus through politics. It is, fundamentally, a spiritual book. But it has – against my own wishes – been released in a highly charged political environment where what everyone wants is simply more ammunition with which to beat up the other guy…

I will be writing here a lot in the days that come. The writing will be raw and it will be incomplete and it will be honest and that, I think, is exactly what Jesus wants me to be.

Ann J

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:22 am

David, Will be praying for you as you enter this time… Thanks for the message that Jesus is not a “precinct captain” he is the son of God with a message of peace and love not politics.

betty doughty neth

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:23 am

you are disgusting. do you really believe that your “cause” is more important than the 911 attacks, the big ceo scandals, katrina hurricane or any other horrific diaster that president bush was forced to deal with after he became president. where were all your “followers” whem democrates, liberals & aclu were destroying our right to our religion, holidays and the other celebrations we grew up to believe. i did not see you or any of your “followers” trying to protect us….where were you???/besides, you are very rich and how much help are you giing the poor people. get a real job. quit lying about other people when you can’t gewt the truth right

Dale Thomas

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:24 am

David, I noticed the piece on 60 minutes that you were diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. I was also diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in March 2006 (Anaplastic Astrocytoma Grade 3). I have started a campaign to obtain a Virginia Specialty License plate for Brain Tumor Awareness. I could really use your help in promoting it. You can check out more information at http://www.braintumorawarenessplate.com. Hope you are doing well with your diagnosis.

Gail Reams

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:27 am

David— Just watched your segment tonight on 60 Minutes—given with great passion and sincerity. If you can e-mail me, I would like to discuss something important. Gail

Texas Lady

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:28 am

Just saw 60 minutes. Good for you, David, for speaking the truth. Remember the “Best reason for doing the right thing today … is tomorrow.” I hope many will read your book and awaken to the power you have found. You went to DC to serve in good faith. Remember the disillusionment is not a result of your naivete; it is pure deception. The motivation of George Bush was to get elected, and re-elected, not to serve the poor. He played the game well, and deceived many who want a closer walk with Jesus. You were simply a pawn to him. I like your idea of Christians taking a break from politics. Try as they might, it’s the Conservative-right wing politicans that won’t let them.God is not a Republican … nor a Democrat. All of us have family values, moral values, and spiritual values. Thank you for your courage in writing this book. Texas Lady

Richard Brooks

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:32 am

David, I just finished watching the 60 minutes segment containing your interview. It’s clear that you are a true believer in the real message and mission of Jesus. Unfortunately, as you point out, Republican politicians have hijacked both the message and the faith for their political power grab.You are a courageous man; a virtual “voice in the desert” that is desperately needed today. I hope the Christian community hears your words and acts appropriately, in spite of whatever their “leaders” may instruct.

stan reed

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:32 am

Dear David, There is a voice that is rising to tell the truth. I applaud your bravery. There are many of us out there that know that God does not look or sound like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson or James Dobson. Be strong and courageous. You speak for many. Thank you, Stan Reed

Dee

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:33 am

Watched your interview on 60 minutes. Can’t wait to read the book. We admire your courage. Our 35 yr old daughter was diagnosed with a Cat II/III Astrocytoma last year. Is having a rough time with the treatments. Appreciate your prayers and we will certainly remember you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

David

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:37 am

David, Thank you for your courage. I can’t imagine how tough it was for you to go on 60 minutes and write this book. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your faithfulness in reminding all people, Christain and non-Christian alike, that the message of Jesus Christ, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, is to love and serve the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul and to love your neighbor as you love yourself. The Peace of Christ be with you! Kurt

J.R.

posted October 16, 2006 at 2:55 am

I dont know what your motives are ?? Maybe you want to sell books? maybe your sick and need the money? May be your mad at Bush. I dont know, I’m not going to judge. I dont know who was rolling their eyes or passing judgement on others, but hear-say wont pass in a court of law. I’ve seen Bush in church, with his head bowed. I dont think it right for you to judge him. But its funny how books like yours and others come out right before an election. Like in 2000 and 2004. If you are mad at Bush, revenge is never the answer. Maybe he couldn’t do all you thought he could, he needs a majority, not just he right wing. Myself, having friends in both parties and church goers and non belivers. The left and the non belivers were happy to have you on tonight. If the left gets a majority in this country GOD will be out of almost everyday life. You need to see the big picture. No pledge, no money no blessings, no boy scouts. GOD will be out. The ACLU is a talking head for the Democrats and you gave them alot. Good luck with your book and in life, if your sick, I pray for you. Maybe you will be remembered for your book, maybe not. But God will remember. Bless you. JR

art

posted October 16, 2006 at 3:16 am

David, You were great. Thanks for speaking out and showing politicians for what they are…takers from the workers of America. They (either party) could care less about the working man. It is all about being reelected!!! Just look at Ney, Cunningham, Jefferson, etc. All crooks at our expense. Noticed where J.R took potshots at you noting “I’ve seen Bush in church, with his head bowed. I dont (Sic) think it right for you to judge him”. Why cannot we judge him. I saw Clinton “in church with head bowed” and obviously that meant NOTHING. Art

MrEMan

posted October 16, 2006 at 4:39 am

David, I have seen you on both 60 minutes and Keith Olberman’s show and I must say I marveled at your courageous attempt to tell the truth to the people of America. Please don’t listen to false Christians who try to put you down. Anyone who would attack you puts their political party well ahead of their God or their country. I believe that’s what you’re trying to expose, isn’t it? You will be in my thoughts as you face this difficult time in your life. Best of luck to you and your family.

Peter

posted October 16, 2006 at 4:41 am

God Bless you, David. What passes for fundamentalist Christianity in the USA today makes a mockery of it. If Jesus showed up, the Fundies would run him out of town for being a hippie.

JoeTx

posted October 16, 2006 at 5:04 am

you are disgusting

I cannot understand the hatred of so many so called christians. Anytime someone is critical of Bush, their fangs come out and all reason is pushed aside.

So, you feel your judgement is better by watching somebody on TV, than somebody that has actually worked with him? Bush is being judged by his works and deeds. They speak volumes compared to his empty words.

Mike

posted October 16, 2006 at 5:39 am

Thank you for your courage, David. It takes a big set of cojones to stand up to this administration and that’s exactly what you’ve done with your book and 60 Minutes interview. I’m sure you’ll start being attacked from every angle and to those people, I would refer them to this quote from tonight’s broadcast: “I have this burden on my heart that the name of God is just being destroyed in the name of politics…I felt like I had to write this.”It’s people like you that give good-hearted and clear-thinking Christians a good name and it’s people like Falwell/Dobson/Robertson/Bush that tarnish it. Again, thank you for the courage of your convictions. Stay well and I hope your medical condition is getting better. God Bless.

phleabo

posted October 16, 2006 at 5:39 am

David, I read the transcript of your 60 Minutes interview, and I found a link to your blog somewhere. I’m quite liberal, and I’m sure we don’t see eye to eye on many social issues; and I get some enjoyment from finding verification for what I’ve long suspected – that Evangelical Christians are to a great degree being played by the poweful people in the GOP. However, what prompted me to write here was to 1) wish you well in your recovery from your tumor, and 2) thank you heartily for remembering that Jesus’ ministry and message was largely about helping the poor. It’s always stuck me as odd that of all the issues which have resonated strongly and vocally with the “religious right,” the issues Jesus was most obviously and indisputably concerned with – poverty and social justice – are the ones that receive the shortest shrift from the visible leaders of the Evangelical movement in America. Thank you for restoring my faith in the existence of Christians who remember what Christ really cared about most.

Texan Democrat

posted October 16, 2006 at 7:05 am

Hi David, It took alot of guts to do what you did on 60 Minutes. You and I both knows what happens next so my prayers are with you during the swift boating. The interesting thing is that you are doing the very Christians who will attack you a favor by opening their eyes. Nobody likes to think they were duped or taken advantage of so don’t expect to be greeted with open arms immediately. In the long run, I think your stand will be appreciated and respected by many. God Speed.

r nato

posted October 16, 2006 at 7:26 am

David doesn’t have to judge Bush… that’s been done already. Matthew 6:5-6 “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men….when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret….”

HASH(0x90e8ef0)

posted October 16, 2006 at 8:03 pm

and you gave them alot. Good luck with your book and in life, if your sick, I pray for you. Maybe you will be remembered for your book, maybe not. But God will remember. Bless you. JR J.R. | 10.15.06 – 9:00 pm | #J.R. Just because a Bush bows his head in church, that doesn’t mean that he is a good person. His body language, his smirk, his behavior, his demeanor, his swagger…everything on him denotes everything, but bein a good human being. His speeches don’t come from his heart. Whatever he has said in the last 6 years and sounded good, it’s because he rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed until he finally got it. When spontaneous situations come about, that is when you notice that he doesn’t have it, and never had. He is what he is because of them. David just came out to expose this man for what he is.

Garcia

posted October 16, 2006 at 8:26 pm

David. I thank you for what you just did. In my life, I met many people like the man you used to work for. “Born again people” become very fanatic about religion, by the simple reason of what they use be. Then eventually regress again to precisely the very reason they “were born again” They become very dangerous, then suddenly they throw everything away. We democrats knew from the very begining that this group of people have been playing the Christians like a gameboy. They were too blind to see. Maybe now they wake up.To be a good Christian has nothing to do with attending Megachurches, reading or walking around with the Bible under your arm, or display it on top your desk for everyone to see it. Jesus did not mean that.All the good things we enjoy today, were given to us by Jesus. But we are too stupid to understand this concept. We had to go wars, come out with revolutions, write historic documents, and go thru a myriad political games to obtained what Jesus gave us from the very begining; Redemption from evil, inmorality etc, etc,We just don’t ge it. But then again money came into play, and that is where we lose it. I hope your book wake up all these naive people who with their actions, have hurt America so much.

dear Joe tex

posted October 16, 2006 at 10:39 pm

So Bush and his empty words?? Is that a judgement? What empty words? You and David don’t really know whats in a mans heart. Only God does. You and others should try and look up Bush’s record on giving to the poor. His admin. has given more then any president. Check out the Heritage Foundation. They have it posted. Government handouts are never enough to some people. I dont know where in the Bible is says the government has to give to the poor. God leaves that up to his followers and the church. Its too bad some people are playing politics when it comes to giving.

jr

posted October 16, 2006 at 10:54 pm

dear Anonymous, or is it r*nato. Thanks for quoting the Bible then rambling on and judging Bush. Judge not, lest ye be judged. I’ve seen your homepage. Nice, thats what I was trying to warn David and others about is left wing people like you. You are the wolf in sheeps clothing. You are the ones that hate God and want God out of everyday life. I pray no one will fall for your rantings. Then I’ll pray for your soul. David look at “anonymous” web page. Is that what you want leading our country?? I rest my case. JR

Charles

posted October 17, 2006 at 3:01 am

The GOP/Rove Slimemachine fires up for a full on attack on David Kuo for daring to speak the truth.

Charles

posted October 17, 2006 at 3:51 am

organshoes

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:09 am

I think your honesty extends to, oh, the end of your own nose. 60 Minutes, huh? Yeah. That’s where Christians go to plead their cause. Or to sell their books and soothe their consciences. Do you realize with whom you are now in league? Shame on you.

r nato

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:14 am

the hateful comments posted at this blog are quite telling. Where are your loyalties, those of you who are angry with David Kuo? Do you put Jesus first? Or do you put the GOP first? Or is it George W. Bush? I would suggest it is one of the last two, and that you worship a false idol.

The Lord's Servant

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:15 am

The Lord Bless David Kuo for daring to speak the truth about the devils, warmongers, and pedophiles corrupting our Whitehouse. “If the blind guide the blind, both will fall into a pit.” (Matthew 15:14)

The Lord's Servant

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:18 am

The Republicans knew about the pedophiles in their party for 5 years but chose to remain silent for the sake of politics. They put a seat in congress over the welfare of a misguided young boy. “You shall not commit fornication; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not be a corrupter of youth” (Letter of Barnabas 10 [A.D. 74]).

The Lord's Servant

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:44 am

Andrew Sippel

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:34 pm

It is somewhat disappointing to see how a personal quest for truth has become a political lightning rod. I am far less concerned by the timing of this book than I am with the un-christian like responses I have read here. To me the point of walking with Jesus is to learn both the Truth, and the importance of seeking it. Do I dare… …let the one who is without sin be the first… So many stones in the air, and so many sins to atone for.

JC

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:52 pm

man i dislike our administration this time through as much as the next guy. in fact ive been saying that for a while but you want to know how to get them to stop making fun of your religion and religious leaders? easy solution: do what the country was set up and KEEP POLITICS AND RELIGION SEPERATE!!! John Adams, 2nd US President: “The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion.” Thomas Jefferson: “I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.”

not your usual suspect

posted October 17, 2006 at 6:47 pm

betty doughty neff, “do you really believe that your “cause” is more important than the 911 attacks, the big ceo scandals, katrina hurricane or any other horrific diaster that president bush was forced to deal with after he became president.” Trouble is, yer “president” DIDN’T “deal with them”; he largely ignored them or buried them. “whem [sic] democrates, [sic] liberals & aclu were destroying our right to our religion, holidays and the other celebrations we grew up to believe.” Last time I heard, yuo still have freedom of religion in America (all except gay people of faith, of course), you still have Christmas and Easter and Good Friday, etc. No one took them away, nor did they try to. “i did not see you or any of your “followers” trying to protect us” That’s ‘cuz you weren’t (and still AREN’T) under attack so there’s nothing to “protect” you from.