J Walking

J Walking

Standing

posted by J-Walking

Morning again, by God’s mercy, but a hard one. Probably just tired, but also discouraged.

I kept wondering why Fox News pulled the two stories they had scheduled, and then last night I figured it out. During my illness, there has been a close group of friends praying for me and for my family. Sunday night, I had emailed them a short list of the media I would be doing. At least one of them forwarded it to the White House. That is the only way they knew to call and pressure some media outlets to put on their “rebuttal,” and obviously how they killed the not-very-objective Fox News segment.

The hardest thing to come of this has been the White House lies and the absolute willingness of conservative Christian activists to lap it up. This notion that the faith-based initiative wasn’t ever political is less true than me saying I am Michael Jordan. It was all political. But I suppose we all hear what we want to hear.

Thank you for your comments–especially the encouraging ones! But even to those who object somewhat strenuously, I say thank you for reading and considering.

I appreciate prayers today. I am not sure right now how I am going to get through it. The answer, simplistically, is that I will try to walk with Jesus…though I really need him to do all the walking and to carry me (no small task since I’m not a diminuitive guy), but I am struggling to know how that actually works. Any ideas?

Annie Brackens

posted October 18, 2006 at 2:59 pm

David You Can get through anything if you just continue to keep your focus on Jeseus Christ our Lord and Saviour. He knows your heart, regardless of what others might think. Just continue to rely on him for your strenght.

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 3:01 pm

David, to accuse Fox News of being controlled by the White House is — I think — a fairly serious accusation. You seem to be making a habit of such accusations: first, that those who disagree with you are being “put up” to it by the White House; then, that those who posted their disagreements here are guilty of idolizing the White House (writing that criticizing Bush isn’t heresy, as if we didn’t already know that). Now, the White House is telling Fox News what stories to run. Serious accusations, all of them. Making those accusations without evidence (and not naming precisely who is the White House is putting up to attack you) is HARDLY THE MARK OF CHRISTIAN CHARITY. To think that the administration is arraying masses of forces against you is also perhaps the mark of egomania, as you and your book are probably not as important on the national scene as you think, but I digress. Assuming the worst about your political opponents and engaging in juvenile conspiracy theories is hardly the mark of intellectual or spiritual maturity.

Richard

posted October 18, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Well we all know Fox loves the Republicans and the White House C’mon. David, I’m praying for you

Tom Tomberg

posted October 18, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Fox News is Pravda for the administration. That’s not a revelation. journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2003/10/30/fox_thememo.html That said, David, I’d recommend telling the truth, keeping your conscience clean, and avoiding bitterness. Your target audience on these matters sees what is done in secret, and is not dependent on Fox News for his info. It doesn’t matter that your motives and character are being impugned by men. Your message will not reach everyone– no message does– but it will reach plenty who care to use their ears to hear. Disclaimer: IANAC.

Annette Packard

posted October 18, 2006 at 3:46 pm

David, Thank you so much for coming forward. Please don’t let the tremendous backlash that is sure to come get to you. Keep your focus on God, who loves you, and it is He who you need to be true, and to also show the truth of who Jesus is to the world – which, quite honestly, His name has been very badly misrepresented. The way this administration has been, and the “evangelicals” who “represent” Christians has been horrible and damaging. Christianity’s image to the world, thus the image of Jesus to the world has resulted in many people being completely turned off to, and wanting no part of Christianity – including me, a Christian! Stay strong and I will pray for you. Thank you again for speaking up. We need more Christians like you, Jim Wallis, and Tony Campolo. In Christ’s Love, Annette Packard

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 3:54 pm

Richard, I’m not disputing that Fox News leans right, but David’s accusation was much more than that — his accusation is that the network is being told what to do by the Bush Administration. (While I have a moment, I’d like to inform Tom Tomberg that the link he pointed to appears to be broken, and to ask Tom, when did the left suddenly decide that it was an insult to be compared with Pravad?) David’s accusation is far more serious; barring evidence, such an accusation is probably not in the spirit of Christian charity.

Robin Sheffield

posted October 18, 2006 at 4:42 pm

I saw the brief segment on “60 Minutes” and was, initially, cynical. “60 Minutes” has done several very anti-evangelical segments over the years. And here they were, interviewing you and looking properly “disturbed” to find out that the White House and/or the GOP is “using” evangelicals, and then calling us “nuts” behind their backs. Some of those named in the piece–Robertson, for example–deserve the criticism. And then, there you were on “Hardball” last night. I listened a little more. I do agree, in general, that Bush is a politician and a man of faith–in which order, I cannot tell. Much of what you say about the GOP or the Bush White House can be said, and has been observed to be true, of most evangelical Christian organizations–including many with great reputations. I wish you well, but I think you sound, to me, a bit like the hurt and idealistic and naive person I once was…….Christians can be “no different” than non-Christians. A hard truth–and a sad one. I no longer work with Christian organizations, and keep my distance from most church things.

Joseph Humsey

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:00 pm

May the Peace of Christ be with you, David.

Tenoch

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:04 pm

Bubba, David Kuo’s blog commentary shouldn’t shock you–he’s part of the “Axis of Evil” according to the self-annointed Religious Elite! Now *that’s* what I call “THE MARK OF CHRISTIAN CHARITY,” Bubba.

Pedro

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:06 pm

I don’t think it is fair to characterize Mr. Kuo’s post as suggesting that the White House controls Fox News. Rather, what Mr. Kuo is suggesting is that the Bush White House engaged in the very common p.r. practice of trying to head off negative stories by putting pressure on the news outlet — whether print or televisual — not to run the story through alleging that the story is (pick one) inaccurate, unsupported, libelous, etc. or demanding the opportunity for a rebuttal representative. Frankly, I’d be surprised if the WH weren’t engaging in such tactics! This is hardly the same thing as “being controlled by the White House.” The kind of tactics Mr. Kuo is supposing that the White House press people engaged in are fairly standard for the P.R. world. In any event, I read the post as expressing disappointment at the apparent betrayal by a close friend. God bless,

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:12 pm

The man who wrote that ought to be criticized, which is why I have no problem with David’s being critical of the obscenely over-the-top “axis of evil” comment. What I object to is the paranoid accusations that are backed by not even a shadow of a hint of a shred of evidence.

valgal

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:15 pm

David, Thank you for stepping forward and may you find strength in your faith as well as those around you. Years ago I watched a speech of GWB and it was laced with all the cultural and spiritual phrases that would speak to the heart of an evangelical. At that moment I knew he was manipulating good people to achieve his means. Coming from this spiritual and cultural background but walking away from it, it was easy for me to see just what he was doing. Thank you for coming forward. Being a whistle blower is a very painful and difficult journey. May your bravery be rewarded here and in the after life.

Paul

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:16 pm

David, I listened to you this morning on On Point and you sounded like both a reasonable person and a well-meaning person. You kept emphasizing compassion along with faith, but for the life of me, I fail to see the connection. Just because Jesus preached compassion, he did not have a monopoly on the idea and many people who practise compassion in their lives are not people of faith. This is an issue which never seems to be addressed yet I feel that it might be the crux of which is dividing America so sharply. If we were to form a political coalition based on compassion would there be any room for non-Christians or for people of no faith? Paul

Amy

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:20 pm

This is where I go when I need to be carried:”For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.” Romans 8:24-27 Hang in there…

Susan

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:21 pm

David, my prayers are with you. Stay strong in Christ.

Rachel Nguyen

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:21 pm

It seems to me that it might be helpful for you to turn off the phone, step away from the computer and take a God break in the middle of what I imagine is an insanely busy schedule. The leaves are turning. It is beautiful outside. Take a bible and a coffee (if you are so inclined) and go find a park bench to sit on for a half hour. When I am feeling persecuted from all quarters, it is lots of fun to read the psalms, LOL.

Tenoch

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:23 pm

“The man who wrote that ought to be criticized”Bubba, While only “one man” forwarded the actual quote, this is merely one voice of the larger religious/political fundamentalist smear campaign against David Kuo. Their partisan, mean-spirited personal attacks only bolster Kuo’s claims of religious corruption. The wild conspiracy theories you are trying to read into Kuo’s commentary simply don’t hold.Of course if you have evidence of that Fox and the White House are behaving fairly in this specific situation, by all means share your concrete evidence with us here and now.

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Tenoch, the burden of proof is not on me to demonstrate that the White House does not control Fox News: it is on David to prove that it does. And when David insinuates that those who merely disagree with him are literal idolators of politics, he is hardly in a position to whine about being smeared.

RossCannon

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:18 pm

hi David, you have plenty on your plate right now. I agree with Rachel, you need to find some time for yourself and/or your family. is your wife or a neighbor into Yoga or go to a class with a good teacher. with practice working yoga hasanas will help you get centered and back in balance. from that powerful place your immune system can work best for you. i am praying for you and your family. RossCannon

dovid

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Stay strong, David. Unfortunately, the politics of personal destruction will now be turned toward you, but with a change in government coming, I’m sure you will persevere.

Tenoch

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:45 pm

“David insinuates that those who merely disagree with him are literal idolators of politics” Bubba, C’mon now. You’ve got a pretty outrageous accusation there. Honestly, we’re not interested in pursuing such an Inquisition against David Kuo.There are plenty of other blogs for this steady stream of condenmation, and thus there’s no reason to attempt to derail dialogue here with such baseless right-flaming. Check out the “Straw Man fallacy” on Google.

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:48 pm

Tenoch, why did David write this… To criticize the White House or even the president is to criticize, not to commit heresy. The issue people should be considering is whether idolizing politics is heresy. …unless he thought people actually were treating dissent as heretical and were idolizing politics?

Frank

posted October 18, 2006 at 8:08 pm

David, I won’t snitch and betray your conviction and faith like that person of your close circle may have done. This is my opinion: As I said on your post from yesterday, I think you should stay the course, ironically enough. You already know what you want to do. What’s important is surrounding yourself with strong sources and other like-minded people who can give you the time to move and think. In your case, you need to get the ball rolling, for real, and try to avoid the mishaps you ran into from this past Sunday night with your “friend” who seemingly sold you out. It s sink or swim. When I say you already know what you want to do, I mean you know your solace, David. As I said yesterday, you’re finally “free.” The question is, in my opinion, what to do with this freedom. The world is your oyster, but you need to think like a general now. You must follow your dream as you ve followed your heart. There are more intelligent people out here than you may realize. This just has to be “tapped” into a bit. Hope you’re doing well. frank

Hugh Mann

posted October 18, 2006 at 10:36 pm

“It’s more humane to cure your enemies than to kill them.” This quote is an excerpt from my website, organicMD.org, which is dedicated to promoting world peace by improving world health. Please visit my page called Land of Milk and Honey. It offers unique, practical suggestions for the chronic conflict in the Middle East. I look forward to your comments. Thank you. Hugh Mann, The Patient Doctor hughmann@organicMD.org http://organicMD.org ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Review of Land of Milk and Honey by Dr. Seth Ward, Director, Institute for Islamic-Judaic Studies at the University of Denver: “I find your association of milk and honey with love and hate to be fascinating. As far as the Middle East, I don’t think anyone has considered diet as a way to solve the problem. Politicians think that looking at political goods is the way to go: security, lands, human and political rights, and so forth. Looking at things like health and cultural considerations is off the scope for politicians and that is absolutely wrong. I don’t think the goals of the Roadmap or any other plan can be achieved without attention to the kinds of issues you have indicated.” Review of organicMD.org by Paul Farmer, MD, PhD Professor of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School: “Your website is interesting and informative, along with being well-designed and easy to navigate. I think your over-all message is an important one for people to learn: that while pharmaceuticals have a significant role in healthcare, they are not the whole solution. Clean air, pure water, organic food, and the avoidance of toxins and addictions, as you explain, are key to good health. You list many practical, how-to solutions for people; I was particularly impressed by the depth of research that clearly informed your LOVE diet. This site will certainly prove useful to many people seeking to improve their lives and their health, especially patients suffering from chronic conditions that traditional medicine has not effectively addressed.”

Equal Opportunity Cynic

posted October 18, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Tom Tomberg,

That’s a great point that we all would do well to remember. I often fall into the trap of idolizing political change as much as I criticize the Religious Right for doing. It’s certainly just to be involved to work for righteousness, but you’re absolutely correct that such earthly work needs to be centered in a theocentric worldview. Assuming that the last word of “IANAC” stands is Christian, your post is one more example of the common grace and wisdom that I believe God gives to unbelievers. Just out of curiosity, are you a theist?

HASH(0x9115308)

posted October 19, 2006 at 1:31 am

Hello David, I listened with interest today, your interview on NPR and agree with much of what you said. However, I do have one bone to pick; the ‘Christian right’ seems to have hi-jacked Christianity. There are many Christians who are democrats for the reason this is the party that is closest to the social justice issues found in Scripture. There is absolutely no way to reconcile a position on pro-life, death penalty and an unjust war. We knew you(conservative Christian right) were duped in 2000, but found it unbelievable that you were duped again in 2004.You are one in a growing number to recognize the truth. Good Luck

Alison

posted October 19, 2006 at 2:08 am

David, consider yourself officially swiftboated.

windbender

posted October 19, 2006 at 2:20 am

Dear Mr. Kuo, You are the kind of person who gives Christians a good name. Your interview with Terri Grosse made this quite clear.

Susan

posted October 19, 2006 at 2:36 am

David…I caught you on Tucker today. I was with you all the way until you lauded Senators Santorum and Brownback. I have been a believer for twenty-two years. I don’t feel any of the grace of the Lord that I cherish coming from either of those men. I try not to judge the validity of others’ relationship with the Lord. But when they are so closed off, so adamant, so angry that they can’t hear believers who disagree with them, I will question their Christian maturity. You have taken a courageous stand and I admire you for it. Why are you holding up haters as your ideal of Christians in public life?

Kathleen

posted October 19, 2006 at 3:16 am

I just heard you (David Kuo) on On Point. Thank you. Thank you for speaking with thought and concern. Thank you for speaking with care to say what you mean. Thank you for not being wishy washy also. I could hear the sadness in your voice about the hatred from some Christian Right. I am glad you are sad about that. I am too. I intend to read your book. I am a sometimes reader of Sojourners. I have this yearning for Christians to not let their political views divide them in other areas. I am intrigued by your idea of a “fast” from politics. Again…and to all who read here…let us continue in careful, honest speech, and in respect where respect is due, but also in blatantly speaking truth. Thank you.

John Freund

posted October 19, 2006 at 3:22 am

I just heard you on “On Point”, and I am happy to hear Christian voices like you and James K. Smith. I am not Christian (by the standard Christian definition, anyway) but I am VERY into dialogue between peoples of differing faiths without proselytizing – searching for true understanding and common ground. To use once again the cliche in a very sincere way, “some of my best friends are Christians.” :) You have an apparent recognition that asking questions and exploring doubts does not weaken one’s faith but strengthens it, and questioning leadership is not only necessary but an obligation of the faithful in ANY cause religious or otherwise. I think if we (Americans, people in general, pick your group) are to accomplish anything we need to work together even if we don’t agree on everything. I don’t know how far our agreements would go but, hey, what a great start.

Rachel Nguyen

posted October 19, 2006 at 3:24 am

I came across this while reading “The Imitation of Christ” by Thomas a Kempis. I thought it might be helpful. Trust in God against slander

Jenny

posted October 19, 2006 at 4:10 am

I heard you on NPR today and appreciate what you are doing. I am 24 and just finished up my 4-year degree at Southern Oregon University. It has been hard being a Christian going to a liberal college. I never completely agreed with my classmates, but then my sociology background had me disagreeing with a lot of Christian conservatives. I admire your courage in speaking out. Christians need to discuss with eachother about what is going on in this nation and the world. It seems that much of the responsibility for thought is placed on pastors or other “spiritual leaders”. I will pray that God will use you and that you will rely on God. As long as that is your priority and your reliance, then God will see you through all of this. God bless!

Carl

posted October 19, 2006 at 5:25 am

I used to think Jesus was a “Republican”…..really. I hurt some relationships that way. Christ has deepened my faith in that he is the Christ and that my politics are no longer the banner I hold up but rather His truth and testament. Hard to put in little words, but there it is. – Go catch some bass when you can. Peace.

r nato

posted October 19, 2006 at 5:55 am

hey David Just watched your interview on Stephen Colbert – great job! Doing Colbert’s show can be difficult for some guests because they don’t know how to play along with Colbert’s faux conservative persona. Heard you on Fresh Air today too. Another great interview. You are very articulate and come across as very genuine.

Jesus Loves Muslims

posted October 19, 2006 at 6:25 am

“There are many Christians who are democrats for the reason this is the party that is closest to the social justice issues found in Scripture. There is absolutely no way to reconcile a position on pro-life, death penalty and an unjust war. We knew you(conservative Christian right) were duped in 2000, but found it unbelievable that you were duped again in 2004.You are one in a growing number to recognize the truth.” Thought it deserved a second look.

Keith

posted October 19, 2006 at 6:38 am

David, I saw you on 60 Minutes the other night and heard you again on “On Point” this evening. I was very much impressed with your sincerity, humility, and courage. The message you have been delivering recently is an old message and is one with which you are familiar, I’m sure.”Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s”. Jesus is drawing a clear line between the political and the spiritual. God needs us as much as we need him. We should be reflecting on what it is that we truly have, what this thing is, that is God’s, and give this thing to Him. Just maybe we’ll find that once we have accomplished this, once we have given God what is God’s, there will be no question of how to walk with Jesus.

Mike

posted October 21, 2006 at 6:13 am

David, Like others, I have heard you speak on the radio. Like many, I found you to be reasonable and level headed. I am a Christian, a man of strong faith. I believe that Christians in politics have lost credibility and lost influence in the larger society by hitching their wagon to the Republican Party. Christian leaders need to stand up for key principles, not for one political party or the other. I am saddened to see many people accept all things Republican simply because of their perception that Republicans share their belief in the “pro life” side of the abortion debate. For me, I’d like to see Christians work together in areas where they have common ground, and agree to disagree and pray about that disagreement on those issues where we do not agree. I am drawn to Jesus and the simplicity of Christianity, and I am pushed away by the notion that there are a million rules or a million beliefs that either you share with Christian fundamentalists or you “must not be a Christian.” You have opened the door to the notion that Christians can agree on many things and work together to reach out to non Christians, to spread the Gospel of love and forgiveness, and work together in the name of Jesus to improve the lives of people all around us. I’d like to have an opportunity to work with other Christians, Republicans and Democrats and Independents, on common issues. I hope you understand that there are many of us out here – people of faith who believe in Christian values – and we want to support leaders including political figures who will help make lives of ordinary people better. People who care about others and want to spread His love and use their talents from Jesus. God bless you. Don’t lose faith, and don’t let criticism get you down. For every one of those critics, there are 100 of us like you out here.

Blake Johnson

posted October 21, 2006 at 8:40 am

David, for many your book has lifted a veil from this Administration and shed light on what was their means to an end. They aggresively courted the evangelicals, both in 2000, and in 2004. The topics dujour were issues that Rove and Card knew would get Christians out to the polls to vote. Compassionate Conservatism was their means, power was their end. Power to reshape this nation in their reflection to accomplish their agenda, and with the word agenda, I’m not referring to abortion and same sex marriage. I disagree with many of my christian friends on abortion and Gay Rights issues because I am convicted by my free will that others, including those I disagree with, have the right to chose their own salvation. It is, by the way, a gift. This government has restricted many as the Patriot Act was penned prior to 9/11 (before the word terrorist became part of the national lexicon) but unfortunately it has enhanced few. We have an unprecedented number of poor juxtaposed against one of the most affluent societies in recent history. Compassionate Conservativism has severely weakened the fabric of our society and has rendered what had been a pothole into a chasm of devisiveness.My hope is that Christianity in America evolves soon and comes to terms with the fact that God commands much more of us as reflections of his love than participation in a national debate which focuses soley on the sexual proclivities of others.