J Walking

J Walking

Leaning

posted by J-Walking

It is always so much easier to talk about walking with Jesus than it is to actually lean on Jesus. At least that has been my experience. Jesus is easier to love when I don’t need him so much because that way I get to keep him at a sort of arm’s length – near enough to enjoy but not near enough to be transformed. This is one of those times when I am so tired that I just need him so badly.

The attacks – not surprising but still trying – come now from every angle and they get more personal with every media appearance. There are, however, the bright spots. E.J. Dionne in today’s Washington Post is one of them. But why is it that the impression that those kind words leave is not nearly as deep as the impression that the bad ones (“Kuo is a member of Axis of Evil”) leave?

It comes, I think, from what Jesus talked about in John 10:10 – that the thief comes to steal and kill and destroy, but He comes to give life and life abundantly.

So I choose life.

Bob Meagher

posted October 17, 2006 at 4:23 pm

So there you are! Sounds like you’ve been busy. Call/e-mail anytime. Go Jumbos. Bass fishing???

K. Edward Copeland

posted October 17, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Thank you for telling the truth and for choosing loyalty to the Kingdom over loyalty to a political ideology.

Joseph Humsey

posted October 17, 2006 at 4:56 pm

David, I bought your book yesterday and have begun reading it. After watching your “60 Minutes” appearance, I am convinced you are very sincere. I have felt all along that good, decent people were being exploited by the Bush Administration, and I thank you for having the courage to speak out. I am not alone in this sentiment–and you are not alone. God Bless You. JH

Andrew Sippel

posted October 17, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Mr. Kuo, I am not an active member of either political party. In fact, when asked, I proudly state that I am ‘Liberal’. If anyone is going to try to label me, they’re gonna have to get to know me first. Either that, or take my thinly vieled self-imposed label as fact, and return to their blissfully ignorant seclusion. Having said that, I am also deeply spiritual. Which is something I do not amplify. My faith is mine, and I don’t care if anyone agrees with me. I was raised Catholic, and consider myself Christian. The statements you have made regarding your walk with Jesus were particularly meaningful to me. I am bouyed by the knowledge your faith has brought you to the surface in an otherwise foul political atmosphere. Thank you for your courage. Thanks you for being willing to engage in painful self-assessments. But most of all, THANK YOU for being willing to share what you have learned from your experiences. May GOD bless you, and all your endeours. Drew

JK

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:06 pm

I think that David has been the victim of an idealistic philosophy which says that if something is not perfect it is bad. Certainly the definition of sin is to miss the mark. The question is, “Is it better to tear down that which is not perfect, or work quietly to try to make it better.” In I Corinthians 7, Paul talks about marriage,and the fact that you always need to be trying to make that which exists better, but realizing that there are some things that simply cannot be fixed. So the question for David is did he work to make the Faith element of the Republican party stronger, or did he become a tool for the Left to heap criticism and indignation on the Religious Right? I think that he unwittingly became a tool for the Left. George Bush has done nothing to deserve this sort of criticism. Are there always those on the fringes who might not fully support Bush’s programs? Certainly, but that does not mean that nothing of substance is taking place, and that damaging attacks will produce better results.

JC

posted October 17, 2006 at 5:55 pm

i dislike our administration this time through as much as the next guy. in fact ive been saying that for a while but you want to know how to get them to stop making fun of your religion and religious leaders? easy solution: do what the country was set up and KEEP POLITICS AND RELIGION SEPERATE!!! John Adams, 2nd US President: “The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion.” Thomas Jefferson: “I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.”

cadejo4

posted October 17, 2006 at 6:03 pm

David, I can fully understand your desire to ignore these attacks, but I think your readers should understand that they’re coming from some of the slimiest Republican operatives in Washington. If any of your readers are interested in learning more about Rob Jennings, the Republican fundraiser who attacked you this morning in the Washington Post, they could consult this link: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Celebrations_for_Children_Inc. They’ll learn all about Tom DeLay’s fake “Celebrations for Children” charity and Mr. Jennings’ role in obtaining tax-free donations for Republicans by channeling them through a “charity” that did nothing for children, but did arrange late-night parties for delegates to the 2004 New York convention.

John Manard

posted October 17, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Mr. Kuo, i dont stand where you stand. I am a liberal. I am by no means a Christian. What I am I do not know, my journey is not complete, but any attacks you are getting for speaking from the heart are unfounded from any side.I have talked in depth with a friend of mine. A christian about how distorted things seem to be. I recently finished John Danforths book and look forward to reading yours. While we may disagree on many things, comments like “Axis of Evil” are sad. We live in a country now that has been cultivated on fear and hatred. And good well meaning men will be hurt. Stay stron, as my Christian friend says stay true to your faith and you will survive.

Frank

posted October 17, 2006 at 7:52 pm

I haven’t read the comments above yet, but I just wanted to express my gratitude for David. You’re finally free! Much love and respect to you and yours, David. We’re out here for you. I’d be interested to know more about what your idea of “fasting” from politics entails. You ve got a lot of people praying for you. You ll be fine.

John S

posted October 17, 2006 at 8:33 pm

You did a fantastic job on 60 minutes. Your point of view reminded me of the Christianity of my youth. We focused our energy on helping the poor and needy. It’s high time that humilty trump righteousness. Keep up the good work.

Alicia

posted October 17, 2006 at 8:38 pm

Thank you, Mr. Kuo. Your blog entries reminded me of Stephen L. Carter’s book, “The Culture of Disbelief.” Carter, a believing Christian, criticizes that disbelieving culture, but also seeks to remind the reader that ‘Separation of Church and State’ exists as much to protect the Church (and faiths of all kinds) from co-option or even corruption by the State. As far as the predictable partisan attacks on your book are concerned, I am deeply tired of the triumphalism of both the Right and the Left.There is something so deeply unserious about both that triumphalism and the ugly partisanship of both sides, and as a moderate who was raised by liberal parents, I believe that the stakes in our society have become way too high for the adults such as yourself to allow it to continue. I hope you will give your critics all the consideration they are due (in other words, none).

Frank

posted October 17, 2006 at 9:05 pm

David,I just read E.J.’s article that you mention on this blog entry. I’d be interested to know how E.J. thinks “get-out-the-vote guy” will be taken serious when P.Diddy Combs was that guy in ’04. It was a “duddy” instead of a “diddy.” That’s why I’m interested to know what your “fast” idea is all about. As you know, politics is most always not a good-natured game to play. It s really all that politics can do to engage the local PTA members in a community, let alone an army of freedom-fighting patriots. People have more than a lukewarm disdain for politics. Again, that’s why I’m interested to know what this new landscape you’ve envisioned would entail. If you ve not already written or addressed this, when will you? Thanks, Frank p.s. and thanks for your effort in creating this blog. You certainly deserve to go on hiatus for awhile. Just remember that being tired is a permanent state. Proud you’re carrying on with such bravery and resolution.

Frank

posted October 17, 2006 at 9:22 pm

I’m reading the above right now…

JT

posted October 17, 2006 at 9:30 pm

David – Congratulations on your book. And thank you for your willingness to speak the truth in the face of personal attacks by those seemingly more committed to Caesar than Christ. If you have a few minutes sometime, I’d be interested in your reaction to a piece I wrote this summer. It’s called “The Sandy Foundation of the White House”: http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58645&mode=threaded