J Walking

J Walking

Heresy?

posted by J-Walking

Wow, am I tired. I’ve been doing press interviews all day and I feel battered. It’s awfully hard to convey a whole book in a few minutes–let alone when the book is about your whole life and not just a few paragraphs that have become the center of a political debate happily engaged by both sides.

The strongest conservative attack against me is that I am doing this to hurt Republicans. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not only didn’t I have a say in when the book was published, I didn’t really want it published now. That said, maybe this is the best time, because people are forced to deal with a central question–is politics so hurting the name of Jesus that it is counterproductive for Christians? That question is clearly touching a nerve–lots of people are discussing it even if they are just seeking to trash me.

Does that hurt? Sure. Is it surprising? No. Do I still believe what I said about the need to take a step back from politics? Absolutely. Definitely. Totally. The experiences of these past few days, including reading some of the responses to my blog posts, only convinces me further. It is a hard debate, but it is worthwhile.

This is serious business. The fact is that Christianity in America has been harmed by its association with a particular brand of politics. That to me is far more important than any of the calculations about how a particular congressional district or senate race might go.

To criticize the White House or even the president is to criticize, not to commit heresy. The issue people should be considering is whether idolizing politics is heresy.

David S. Martin

posted October 18, 2006 at 4:06 am

This is study guide that I used in a bible study that I led on August 16, 2006. I have the following posted for my October 15 web log publication. This question that you ask; That being said, maybe this is the best time because people are forced to deal with a central question – is politics so hurting the name of Jesus that it is counterproductive for Christians? has been the culmination of my walk with Christ. You should pick-up the book Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World, by Lee Camp. A very good friend who has opened my heart to my mission, which involves serving only one master, referenced this book and he is not in a political party. You should check out his web log as well. http://geotheology.blogspot.com/. Anyway, the following is my work as relating to Faith & Politics.http://theologyofnuance.blogspot.com/2006/10/when-faith-politics-meet-meaning-of.html The bottom line of my blog post, is that Jesus gave us one single mission in His Great Commission. That mission must be first above any and all other allegiances, whether to the USA, Israel, Democrat, Republican, etc. When we get sidetracked for Republican politics we have given our allegiance to more than one master. DSM

Kieran Conroy

posted October 18, 2006 at 4:41 am

I just wanted to thank you for speaking up about this most vital issue… as a Christian I have been long appalled by things which are being done politically in the name of my faith, and as a student of social work had already been doing research which echoes much of your “insiders” experience of the faith based initiative. Taking a stand for something true, and something right is never easy… I want to let you know you are being prayed for in the midst of all the firestorms you’re dealing with. May the God of peace and truth be the Eye in your storm, and enable you to continue speaking truth, to the credit of our great tradition and all people who believe that faith is precious. In Jesus’ Name, Amen

Nancy Irving

posted October 18, 2006 at 4:53 am

Yes, what some politicized conservative Christians have done in His name over the past few decades has injured Jesus’ reputation. You did the right thing in writing this book. Hang in there.

Robert Farnsworth

posted October 18, 2006 at 5:17 am

Thanks. You have a very important message. You are in some sense a prophet. The devil is, Jesus said, the author of all deception, manipulation, and lies; and to use evil’s methods even in the “cause of God” (or so we want to believe) is to really serve the devil. God is truth and expects His people to live the truth. To do otherwise is to turn bread into stones, the temtation to make the ends justify the means. Religious history is filled with the wreckage of those who thought they were serving God but really crucifying Jesus by doing things their way, rather than His way.

S. Starr

posted October 18, 2006 at 5:27 am

Brother, the truth can only remain subverted for so long before it overpowers falsehood. You have done the right thing. I consider myself as conservative as they come- just not co-opted to any wordly political system. You have spoken out of a pure heart and conviction of conscience. I am so thankful that you have been in the posotion to experience what you have and do what you have done. You hang in there- there’s a lot of people that appreciate you and that are praying for you and the truth you have unleashed. Check out the url’s below. the first one is a dedication to you on my own blog. The second is a post that addresses the kind of thing that your book reveals further. – again than you. http://geotheology.blogspot.com/2006/10/call-walls-came-down.html http://geotheology.blogspot.com/2006/10/you-gotta-keep-em-separated-repost.html

Danny

posted October 18, 2006 at 5:35 am

Thirty pieces of silver, eh? I hope your fifteen minutes on 60 minutes was worth it. Like my godly mother used to say, “God gets blamed for alot of things He has nothing to do with.”

Rocklin

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:17 am

Keep up the energy to respond to your interviewers. Many will give you time to further their own cause. Relax, and just do your part, stick to your message, and God will do the rest. Thank you!

Whitehorse

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:34 am

What do you say to those who are using your book as a hammer to bludgeon all republicans & the entire Bush Administration as evil hypocrites, & attempting to use this as a wedge to keep persons of faith who normally vote for conservative faith & family values?

Seven Star Hand (LW Page)

posted October 18, 2006 at 6:59 am

Hello David, Thanks for what you are doing and when you are doing it. The next stage will be even harder as Christians come to understand the full extent of the deception imposed upon them and the rest of the world. More stunning proof that Christians are easily duped into supporting blatant evil The latest book of stunning revelations titled “Tempting Faith” by former Bush Administration insider David Kuo presents compelling first-hand evidence that the Christian Right was purposely duped into providing pivotal political support and cover for a host of crimes and excesses by Republican leaders and the Whitehouse. This book and the Foley fiasco are serving to awaken Christians to the undeniable fact that they have been deceived into abetting the evil deeds of duplicitous scoundrels, once again. The events of recent years and the several millennia before them have provided us with comprehensive proof that religion is the chosen and purposeful tool of great deceivers. Whether we view the actions of the Temple priesthood of ancient Israel that conspired with Greco-Roman invaders, the sad and sordid history of the Vatican and Papacy, Christian crusaders and colonizers, injustices by leaders and followers of Islam, the oppression of Palestinians by the State of Israel, or the more recent activities of the so-called Christian Right and Republican Party, religious followers are regularly and easily misled into supporting obvious evil. In recent years, I have produced stunning and comprehensive proof of purposeful deception in the canons of all three Faiths of Abraham and struggled to alert people to this and to related upcoming events and situations. Due to “poisoning of the waters” by deluded religious leaders and followers over the centuries, most have greeted my efforts with derision or indifference, thereby failing to pay attention long enough to discern the accuracy of my research and assertions. Starting with the perfectly timed Atlantic hurricanes of 2004 and 2005, a small number of people, some of them in government leadership positions, began to recognize the truth of my conclusions and assertions. The events of the last year-plus, starting with the ramifications from hurricanes Katrina and Rita, have helped to sweep away many of the facades erected by the Bush-Cheney crew and cohorts. Many of their deceptions have been exposed, their greed and arrogance proven, the myth of their competence destroyed, and most recently the depths of their duplicity and hypocrisy have been illuminated by a series of stunning revelations.Read More… Here is Wisdom !! Peace…

Zero-Equals-Infinity

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:10 am

I remember being taken to a particular evangelical church about 10 years ago by a friend and being absolutely shocked when the guest speaker spoke on why good Christians should be politically supporting issues a), b), and c). I felt insulted and disgusted. Needless to say that was not a church I returned to. Politics should not be preached from the pulpit. It degrades and caricatures the faith. Using the church for political ends is a most fowl business. As for hurting Republicans, they don’t need any help in that department. They are doing a damn fine job of hurting themselves.

Joe Carson, P.E.

posted October 18, 2006 at 8:01 am

Hi David, I’m a Christian who is, by vocation, a licensed professional engineeer (P.E.), employed by US Department of Energy as a nuclear safety engineer. I did my positive legal and professional duty by “blowing whistles,” when necessary to protect public health and safety and I suffered the consequences, as somewhat detailed at website carsonversusdoe.com. I suggest we chat when you have a chance, I have experienced plenty of ad hominem because the agency could not contest my technical issues, so it tried to throw mud to discredit me – the tactics are not very novel in these situations, are they? Bottom line, if there was a collective and intentional Christian influence in my profession of engineering, I do not think my whistleblowing would have been required, nor the resulting retribution permitted. I co-founded the Affiliation of Christian Engineers to be an organizational vehicle to equip and encourage Christian engineers to intentionally and collectively influence their profession to uplift it and its service to humanity and the created order, to advance God’s will in and through the engineering profession. But for a Christian engineer to openly say “Christian engineers should, to some degree, collectively and intentionally influence their profession” is professionally risky. So it does not happen, instead Christian engineers, instead of influencing their profession, because it involves a degree of professional risk, shun doing so in comparison to the professionally risk-free exercise of staking out some political position or another in the privacy of their home, church, or blogosphere. You are taking professionally risky actions, in the name of faith. That puts you in a small category of Christians these days. There is no professional risk in using vacation time to go on a short-term missions trip, being vocally for or against some political position or another outside of work, or contributing money to a candidate or cause. But criticize institutional wrongdoing related to your vocation as an outworking of one’s Christian faith – then you are truly seeking opportunties to “pick up your cross, daily,” and “suffering for righteousness’ sake.”Joe Carson, P.E. Knoxville, TN

GL

posted October 18, 2006 at 8:06 am

Danny, I don’t know David Kuo yet, but I hope to meet him soon. David and I have a least one good friend in common who tells me about his faith, his character, and that picture is one of a redeemed sinner who is seeking to follow Jesus. So when I read your jab about the thirty pieces of silver, you make me curious.For me this sort of issue comes down to Truth. Is David Kuo telling the Truth in the scenes he depicts in the White House.If David is not telling the Truth, then I think your allusion to Judas is apt.But if David is telling the Truth, how could Truth-telling be akin to Judas’ betrayal for a Christian?If David’s depictions of the Administration are accurate, then he is enacting accountability. How could Christians– who follow One who is the Way, the Truth and the Life– be doing something improper by holding people accountable? Again, this comes back to the issue of Truth and I don’t know if David’s stories are true. Thus, I must reserve judgment for now.But as a matter of principle I have to ask: If David has told the truth then how could Truth-telling be inappropriate for a Christ-follower?

Lance White

posted October 18, 2006 at 8:37 am

I write from Australia, where we don’t have this polarised conservative/liberal – right/left divide. Both our major political parties, our Republican and Democrat equivalents are more centrist, and our churches have resisted getting too involved in the politics of the day. It’s great. It means churchgoers can do church, and politicians can do politics. A de-politicised church, with its focus on faith in Christ’s atoning blood sacrifice at Calvary, is worth fighting for. Unfortunately in the US, it would appear your church is a scrambled egg, and I think it will take generations to unscramble it.

Deke

posted October 18, 2006 at 1:24 pm

Thank you for your work. I hope that people will finally wake up from the political sleepwalk they have been in for far too long.

Bubba

posted October 18, 2006 at 2:52 pm

So, to question the efficacy of David’s ideas and to express a surely understandable skepticism of his motives is to reveal that a person idolizes the White House? So David Kuo’s going to smear every person who disagrees with him, accusing them of either being shills for the White House or idolators of the White House. How charitable. How very Christian of him.

Joseph Humsey

posted October 18, 2006 at 5:49 pm

David, I am amazed at some of the hateful things that have been printed about you in the past few days. I honestly cannot fathom how these people can call themselves Christians. And the way they demonize the Democratic Party is a perfect illustration of how their thinking has been corrupted by the Republican machine. I have always had the highest degree of respect for people who act out their Christian beliefs. Hate is definitely not among them.

Equal Opportunity Cynic

posted October 18, 2006 at 7:40 pm

David,I admire your courage in speaking out now — particularly after I read part of your story on Andrew Sullivan’s blog. I certainly don’t have the first-hand experience of the Religious Right that you have; actually I’ve considered myself Libertarian for most of my adult life. But I do share your concern that the desire for power has risen to the level of idolatry for many Christian leaders, and has blinded them to the cynicism with which the game is played. We know how the Administration reacts to all criticism, and we know that you will come under vicious personal attack. Short of a supernatural working of the Holy Spirit in many hearts, nothing could be more certain. Your courage in speaking out regardless should be a source of inspiration to the whole Christian community as it seeks to recover its purpose from this creeping idolatry.

dovid

posted October 19, 2006 at 7:35 pm

“How very Christian of him.” David seems to me to very much exemplify Christian values, as I understand them. Much more so than those who attack him, or those who call in death threats to people who oppose Christian prayer at school functions, for instance. Or one who, on Medved’s blog, essentially said, “Jesus didn’t care about poor people. Why should I?” I’m one of those people who think that many Republicans worship Bush. The funny thing is, when I say that, NO-ONE ever says it’s not true.

Frank

posted October 19, 2006 at 9:24 pm

I’d like to add a little more to that dovid. These folks, and many others who might not worship Bush but are certainly dependent on him, are so duped that they won’t realize it until history reveals it to them in front of their faces. And this will happen very soon, as it already is in many circles.

cfc

posted October 20, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I Want My Christianity back the state and this administration have stolen it and it is hardly recognizable…