Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Some inspiration for the Christian single lady

Whether you agree with every one of her words or not, you gotta admit she’s a clever and creative communicator. And she brings a passion to a stage that is only rarely seen inside church buildings.

Because of her passion, I’ll ignore the fact that her name is “Janette…ikz.” Get it? Genetics?

When done well, I really enjoy spoken word. Find her on Facebook here.

Esther

posted April 4, 2011 at 8:56 am

I saw this a few weeks ago and I have watched it almost every day since then. I absolutely love the imagery and poetry because it gives me encouragement. Simply Awesome.

Jenn

posted April 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

I often feel like spoken word poets are completely full of themselves. There’s always a hint of obnoxious cockiness.

IKissedDatingHello

posted April 4, 2011 at 9:01 am

hah :) we featured this on our site too. It’s a magical combination of reprimand and you-go-girl fist bump. That said, it is fairly thought provoking. For those who’re single, it takes a certain amount of trust and willpower not to make problematic concessions when loneliness kicks in.

Thanks for sharing.

Frances

posted April 4, 2011 at 9:06 am

Wow, I hope that “the one” for her can live up to her expectations!
“Gain energy simply by the light you shine on me”??? “I’ll need you in order to complete my photosynthesis”??? Eek…..I know it’s poetry and all but good grief! LOL

Iain

posted April 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

I really like this poem. It is well written and well performed. But… (and there’s the “but”) do you think she might be putting too many expectations on men?

She doesn’t only appear to be waiting for “the one” but she sounds like she almost expects him to be perfect. Nobody is perfect. If you wait for somebody perfect you either wait forever OR end up grieving later when you find out that the person you found isn’t perfect after all.

Noelle

posted April 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yes. She does have some unrealistic ideas about men there. It is just poetry, So we can allow some poetic license, but perfect humans are nearly impossible to find. It’s good to have some standards. No stealing, hitting, berating, etc are good places to start. Human beings, even the good ones, can be general pains in the ass. It takes luck and work to find one you can have a real relationship with.

Little girls are given unrealistic notions of men from the beginning. My husband and 4 year old daughter were watching a Disney movie the other day (it doesn’t matter which. They’re all the same) My daughter got all excited when the princess kisses her man and everything goes happily ever after. I heard my husband say something to the effect that it doesn’t work that way in real life. But she wasn’t listening. She sees first kiss=first love=perfect guy who will be there forever and everything will be happy. It takes real world practice, failures, and tears to learn otherwise. If a girl is lucky, she’ll learn men are only human, and maybe she’ll find a nice one with a similar life outlook who treats her as an equal

How do boys acquire their perceptions of women, love, and relationships?

Justin

posted April 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Actually, if you notice, she set high expectations for herself as well .. “drenched in Proverbs 31″

Wonderful performance!

Ric Booth

posted April 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

snap-snap. love her passion, her delivery, and much of her poem.

Crystal

posted April 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

I thought it was well-written, well-performed and well-founded. I understand what you’re saying about the problem of having high expectations, but I think it’s fair to say she’s looking for someone who is perfect for her (not perfect in general).
I definitely think Christan women feel a lot of pressure to be a relationship and if you can get to that place and feel that pressure, I think you would appreciate this poem more. It speaks to those women.

tim

posted April 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

Very cool – thanks for sharing.

Sarah

posted April 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I thought this was amazing! I don’t believe that she has unrealistic expectations but I believe she is saying that she believes that God has a specific person for her, that will push her more toward Christ. This was awesome!

Anne

posted April 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm

To all of those who think she has to many expectations.
We should have the highest of high expectations and you should not settle for less. As women in this corrupt world we have settled for less and even given up being pursued and become the pursuer. That is NOT what God intended. Look in the Bible! God is the pursuer of our hearts and the lover of our souls, and obviously we will not find a god on earth but we should be looking for those same traits of God in a man!
Do NOT lower your expectations! God has the PERFECT man out there for you, He is just readying both of your hearts!

Charlie's Church of Christ

posted April 8, 2011 at 1:58 am

didn’t understand half of what was she was trying to say. still was pretty cool.