Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Here's the ad that has Catholics crying blasphemy (PG13)

Read the story here.
Thoughts?

Brandon G. Smith

posted April 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

The stupidity of the ad in general is blasphemy enough for me.

Christian M.

posted April 19, 2011 at 10:19 am

God: Now with Bluetooth

James Williams

posted April 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

I don’t even understand what it’s advertising. Or what the point is.

Sean R Reid

posted April 19, 2011 at 10:20 am

It’s mostly just stupid. I’m not even sure it can be offensive or blasphemous. To do either of those would require some thought. Based on what we see here, I doubt there was much of that put into shooting this.

Arguably, it’s getting WAY more attention than it deserves because of the Catholics making a big deal about it.

Ignore it and it will go away.

Sara

posted April 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

I agree. Too stupid to care.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted April 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

Good thing they can’t burn someone at the stake over this.

LRA

posted April 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

(1) Blasphemy is a sin only Christians can commit. Portraying Jesus in an unflattering light (especially is the person doing the portraying is not a Christian) is *not* blasphemy.

(2) How is this any different than an unflattering portrait of Mohammad?

(3) Some people need to realize that not everybody thinks like they do and that not everybody cares about being sensitive to someone’s myths. That’s life. Get over it.

It’s official… the outcry is stupid.

Brian

posted April 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm

First thought: no one knows what Jesus looked like, so all I see is a dude tied to a bed. Second, that guy is ripped.

Dave

posted April 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

The company got all of the attention it wanted, and more.

Thing is, Christians (in general) are the easiest to get ruffled up and reactionary, so they didn;t even try very hard. But, success is success.

Somebody in the marketing department is getting all of the grappa and spaghetti bolognese they want this week.

PROTIP: Hire this firm if you are looking to increase brand buzz and youtube hits.

Noelle

posted April 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Yes, the people who make and eat chocolate Jesuses undergoing horrible torture execution are the easiest to offend people on Earth.

Adam

posted April 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I think the best thing Christians who are offended at this could do to get back at this company is just ignore the ad. Of course, that’s not what they’re going to do.

Iain

posted April 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm

It’s a shame to hear that this is causing a stir. It’s very short and not even very funny. As James says, what is the point?

Usually when I hear that the Catholics are annoyed at something I expect to get a big laugh out of it. Not this time.

Derrick

posted April 19, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Perhaps that’s what the Iphone sign meant a while back. LOL

Richard G Evans

posted April 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm

As a Catholic Christian I am actually pretty offended. I think it is equally wrong to burn Qurans or make anti-Semitic jokes. No one’s relgion or personal beliefs should be mocked. As novel as it may be, respecting one another is far more important to me than making money. Obviously this company did not think so.

Pingback: Here’s the ad that has Catholics crying blasphemy (PG13) | churchministrynews.com

Noel

posted April 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Someone owes me those 10 seconds of my life back. Plus the 10 I just spent replying to this. Plus the… oh never mind. What was this all about again?