Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Pastor reveals 'spiritual signifigance' of the 'Japanese earthquake'

That’s the pastor’s title… not mine. I realize that an earthquake can’t actually be Japanese…

Found at Joe. My. God.

For the 16-minute version of this sermon (which offers a bit of context), click here.

Esther

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Ugh. I could not even get past the first sentence without rolling my eyes.

In my area there is a pastor telling his congregation to call local Christian businesses and proclaim that “God bless the earthquake for killing the Japanese”…seriously. I don’t know the reason (like none of them are survivors of the Holocaust which *could* be understood) so…yes…people are dumb…especially in times like these.

yshekster

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

So what is his point really? What has other countries done to America that it hasn’t already done to itself? Stop the blame game. Take ownership for our own actions (like debt). Stop blaming the devil. The way we’re going, we wont need the devil to ‘undo us’. We are very much capable of that all by ourselves. Also, why dont preachers say things like this when it happens in our own backyards? Katrina? BP Oil spill? Three-Mile Island? Dead Anchovies? Hmmmm?

Will Adair

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

If you listened to guys like him who are what theologians call 3rd wave Pentecostals then you would hear that it is all God’s judgment as well.

Dianna

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I love that when Haiti gets hit by an earthquake, it’s immediately deserving of our pity. No one accused the residents of the city of Christchurch of doing something terrible to “deserve” what happened there. No one (that I can remember) commented that the Indian Ocean Tsunami in 2005 was somehow a portion of a larger plan or would bring America down.

But somehow, Japan is different.

I’ve mentioned this before, but having *just* returned from Japan and learning to readjust to life in America, I find the response of the church here particularly disheartening. Somehow, because they are a “developed” nation with their already well established cultures and religions – a culture which does not, by the way, exclude the practice of Christianity in any way, shape or form – they are somehow a much more palatable sermon illustration and it’s somehow “okay” to use them as an example for how America will be destroyed. And that bothers the hell out of me for a number of reasons. And frankly, I’m too upset about it to articulate them well enough here.

Will Adair

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Google Joyner and that movement and you will see a lot of “prophets” who say every disaster is God’s judgment.

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m so sorry, Dianna! My thoughts are with you! My cousin and his daughter live in Japan– they are ok. It’s been a really, really sad week!

日本が大好きです!(日本語を勉強します。ちょっと、話します。)

Dianna

posted March 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

Ahahaha, aw, you know more Japanese than I do! Being an English teacher, I was discouraged from using it in classes.

LRA

posted March 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Aw! JET teacher?

Will Adair

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm

My mother told me as a child that I should only say kind things about people, if I could say nothing nice I shouldn’t speak. For once I’m mostly taking that advice. Except for the following.

That person no more speaks for the Church that Jesus founded, the biblical Jesus, or the God of the Bible then he does for Darth Vader.

Rose

posted March 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Oh, I love that last sentence and it is so true!

Z

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Sounds like a Glenn Beck transcript LOL!

James Williams

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Joyner and Jones are part of a group of “prophets” known as the Kansas City Prophets, and to learn more about them, simply google “Latter Rain”. I am confident I speak for the overwhelming majority of evangelicals that the KC prophets and Latter Rain are not taken any more seriously by us than they are by the commenters on this blog. They are a fringe element, and very few consider them to be prophets.

If you have ever heard of Mike Bickle, he used to be one of them, then renounced any association with them.

Darcy

posted March 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Google “new apostolic reformation” and you’ll find enough material for this blog for a year.

Greg Allen

posted March 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

ugh.

macphoenix

posted March 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

Everyone has crazy conspiracy theories, not just Christians. The difference is Pastors have pulpits to preach from and a willing audience. Other people with conspiracies just post it on the net, or write a book. It’s kind of an abuse of a pastors position to spout conspiracy from a pulpit.

To prove my point, I just now I typed HAARP and japan into google. And bingo, conspiracies linking the American HAARP program to causing the Japanese disaster. I’m sure there are a lot more out there too.

Mark

posted March 18, 2011 at 8:20 am

This man condemns Hitler but praises Bob Jones? Bob Jones was Hitler Lite. Both were opposed to interracial mixing, both wanted to live in a homogeneous societies, both demonized minorities and both created a cult of personality around themselves. I am sure Bob Jones secretly admired Hitler because Hitler was going to save the Christian world from the godless communists.
I grew up with many BJU grads who would quote “Dr Bob” more than they would quote the Bible.
If these people are going to save America, I am glad I have a passport.

Sean R Reid

posted March 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

I’m just trying to figure out when Japan got all of our bonds. Last time I checked wasn’t China the biggest holder of that debt? He not only fails at prophecy but apparently world affairs and economics as well.

Khaliah

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’ve had an overwhelming sensation of gloom because of what’s going on in Japan. Not just because 10,000+ people are dead, bodies are washing onto the shores, people are getting radiation sickness, people are looking tirelessly for their families…

I’m most unnerved by the sheer callousness of these types of pastors/speakers.

They ignore the fact that countless people are suffering, and use it as an opportunity to click their tongues and point a finger, saying “Well if you were Christian this wouldn’t have happened.”

I’m tired of this religious smugness, this holier-than-thou attitude that some American Christians have but refuse to admit. Glenn Beck’s comment on this was the last damn straw for me.

Our abilities to look down our noses on non-Christians seems to exceed our abilities to reach out to those in need. Why? It’s easier to say the guy on the outside of our spiritual country club deserves what he got, or had it coming, or deserves something bad down the road because he’s not like us.

And it makes me freaking SICK.

Bene D

posted March 19, 2011 at 4:07 am

Mark:

The Bob Jones who Joyner praises is NAR – New Apostolic Reformation.
Real whackadoodle, part of the Kansas City neo-pentecostal, Latter Rain crowd. Self-appointed apostle. In 1991 he was removed from Vineyard minstry for ordering women to strip in his office so he could administer prophetic ministry. (he fondled them)
So he went out on his own, joined up with Peter Wagner to be an ‘apostle’ and spews some of the most bizarre occult garbage the neo-charismatics have to offer.