Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

I confess… I prejudged this man

I’m not sure how Jay Caruso found my blog. But he did. And at some point he began to engage, which means he started leaving comments.

Now, I don’t know if this is exactly true, but from my perspective, every comment that Jay ever left was one that embraced the near opposite point of view of the one I was presenting. Which is fine. At least, it’s fine in THEORY. (But in reality it sucks.)

But then, based only on the comments he left on this blog, I began assuming a lot of things about Jay. I assumed I knew that the contents of Jay’s bookshelf probably included a host of Ann Coulter books. I assumed that he probably had dead animals decorating the walls of his house.

And I must confess that I assumed he was a jerk.

Why? Because he disagreed with me. Adamantly. And consistently.

Though I BELIEVED it was possible for two people to disagree on issues of theology, society, and politics AND STILL get along, one of the “footnotes” of that belief was Jay. Because he and I just seemed to always butt heads, I assumed he didn’t like me (and read my blog just to piss me off), and I assumed that I didn’t like him…

But I was wrong… well, I don’t know: he MIGHT have Ann Coulter books on his shelf. But I was wrong about the other stuff.

As we’ve gotten to know each other (through numerous disagreements regarding Obama and The Bachelor and Mark Driscoll), Jay and I have somehow learned how to disagree without defining the other person based solely on the things we disagree about.

Jay and I somehow got to a place where we started to like each other. Oh, we still disagree A LOT. But we get along. We’re not best friends. But that’s only because we’ve never actually met in person. But we’re community.

(Cue the strings…)

Once you get to know Jay’s heart, you begin to understand his passion. Like me, he’s opinionated and can often be blunt. But behind those opinionated blunt comments is a man who loves his family, loves his job, and loves his God. (Oh… and he’s a darn good photographer, too!)

And though I disagree with him a lot. I also sort of like him. And I refuse to let those disagreements get in the way of us being “community”…  :)

… Yesterday I learned that Jay and his son are raising funds to take a mission trip to Africa. You can read about that trip here….

And I’m hoping that some of us here–as a part of Jay’s online community (whether we agree with him all the time or now)–might be willing to help him out. If that’s you… click here.

I was wrong to prejudge Jay. Oh, I still disagree with him–a lot.

But I refuse to let those disagreements define our ability to get along. People can agree to disagree and still be friends.

So please, if you can, help Jay out!

To follow Jay on Twitter, click here.

NOTE: I have no idea whether or not Jay likes Ann Coulter. :)

Amy

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

Nice post. Let’s all just hope that for Jay’s sake that he doesn’t like Ann Coulter. She’s scary.

Jay

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:20 am

Wow. I asked for a tweet. Never thought I would get a post. Thanks Matthew. This really means a lot to me. I’m sorry I missed you when I was in Nashville in January. I am hoping to be up there again at some point.

But….you only SORT OF like me? What’s up with that? I love you bro! (I can Jesus juke at times. Haha).

For the record, I have never owned nor have I ever read a book by Ann Coulter.

Wes

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

Driscoll thinks all of this bro-loving is totally gay.

Kidding! Good luck on your trip!

ChadJ

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:21 am

Well said, Matthew. I fully contend the same, namely that mature believers can disagree maturely. Kinda blogged on it last week here:

James Williams

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

Excellent! I love when people who disagree can see the good in one another.

perze

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

Well, let’s fuel those flames. I noticed that both of you use the same wordpress theme there should be another whole layer of judgement right there. Kidding aside, yay for mistakes and helping out your neighbors.

tom

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

A Prayer From Jesus

Jesus I brought this prayer to your people and they rejected it. So I added a comment on the importance of this prayer and your plan of Salvation, again no responses. Finally with fire and brimstone, mentioned their destination, it was as if they could not even hear.

Jesus am I to be a profit as unto Jeremiah or like unto Jonah. I fell like Jonah, no matter what I want to do, You all ways command me to do this small task, deliver Your prayer. Except the results are as unto Jermiah. When not one obeyed when You said, they will find safety out of the city.

Jesus, you created me as neither but one of power, in Jesus NAME. Devil in the NAME of JESUS I bind you in Jesus name. Release your hold on those who will be called, son’s of Jesus. I command you in JESUS NAME to be gone from all who read this post, in Jesus Name. For the glory is yours alone Jesus. I lift your Name up in Praise now, Lord Jesus. Open my eyes in Jesus Name and let me receive from You, this very hour in JESUS NAME.
– A PRAYER FROM JESUS –

This prayer is from Jesus that we may hear from Him, that He may speak to our hearts. It only consist of three simple steps.

1, We need to read one scripture. This will focus us in the word that brings everlasting life.

2, Since this prayer is from Jesus we need to direct our prayer to Him personally. Too often Christian focuses they’re prayer’s to G_D or Father. Scripture proclaims, that Jesus should be the focus of our prayer.

3, The simplest part of this Prayer is to ask Jesus one question. Please, all that is required for this question is that it should be simple. Let Jesus Himself finish the question when He gives you that understanding through this prayer.

The PRAYER

A) The scripture that is the focus of this prayer is “ACTS 2:38″. It’s not necessary to do any study into this scripture. Jesus will give you the understanding that will resonate in your heart. Just read Acts 2:38, keep it in your heart and take this one scripture to prayer

B) The most important part of this prayer is that we need to direct our prayer directly to Jesus. If you normally would say Father in your prayer, change your focus from the Father to Jesus, by lifting Jesus name up every time you would normally use Father in your prayer.

C) Maybe the hardest part of this prayer is the question that we need to ask Jesus. For man is always trying to understand the question, instead of listening to the answer. The simplest question is all that is required.
Simply ask Jesus, ‘WHY’?

For those who are obedient
Tsquare777(at)gmail.com

April L.

posted March 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Huh? Way to stay on topic there, Champ.

Carrie

posted March 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm

This person gets around the blogosphere—he/she posted the same thing on my blog last week.

Teresa Taylor

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

This is why I love you Matthew! Keep keeping it real – Humility breaks down walls:)

Jason Huffman

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thank you for confessing your pre-judging. I do not have Ann Coulter books but I do have animals on my wall. Politically I am pretty conservative but I believe the gospel is about love, not politics. But when you began to describe the stereotype you believed him to be it resonated with me. I don’t understand why so many people feel that if I didnt vote for Obama that Im some sort of heartless hate monger. I live in the country and life is just different out here. Thank you foryour honest confession. I have to remind myself daily that good people align both political parties. I hope you will continue to judge people on the content of their character, not on their taxidermy. Thanks for being honest.

Sarah Mae

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

Love.

John

posted March 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

1How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down upon the beard,
on the beard of Aaron,
running down over the collar of his robes.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion.
For there the Lord ordained his blessing,
life for evermore.

Lorelei

posted March 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love this post! I’m often guilty of making the same kinds of assumptions. Thanks for your honesty, and for the reminder.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted March 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

this is cool. Both of you guys are great people

Adam Shields

posted March 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I disagree with Jay a lot too (primarily in politics). But I still like him :)

Sylvia Caruso

posted March 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

“Like me, he’s opinionated and can often be blunt. ” I live with the man. No one knows that better than I do. ;) But that’s one of the things I admire and love about him. Thanks for this post. It means a lot to both of us.

KayC

posted March 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I just have to cheer this post and share a little to show just how possible it is to have vastly different views and still get along. More than a year ago, I met a man who intrigued me. If I had read his bio on paper, I would have ran the other way as he was an evangelical, young-earth creationist, conservative Christian. But he was also the most open, kind-hearted, thoughtful, loving man I ever met. And in three months, he’s going to marry this progressive, evolutionist deist. We respect each other’s beliefs and have found that acceptance and love can absolutely conquer all.

Noelle

posted March 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Does this mean you’ve pre-judged all of us?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted March 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Noelle

posted March 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

That’s good.

Justin

posted March 9, 2011 at 7:21 am

As long as he pre-judges that we’re awesome, I’m good.

Steve Thrush

posted March 8, 2011 at 7:11 pm

friggen’ awesome story. thanks! i wish boatload of people that don’t follow Jesus could read this. guess i’d better get to work ;-) ~steveT

Tony Alicea

posted March 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

Best post of yours I’ve ever read. I disagree with you a lot which is why I usually stay away from your blog. This post just convicted me. I want to love you and have you love me too!

Seriously though, Jay is solid and I’m glad to see you support him.

Tamara Out Loud

posted March 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Well clearly you both find my Twitter ramblings endearing. I have to think that’s common ground enough to be friends. ;)

ed cyzewski

posted March 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Great post. Thanks for sharing so openly. I double-dare Jay to post a comment disagreeing with it though… ;)

When I catch myself thinking, “Oh, you’re THAT kind of person…” I can be pretty sure that judgment is in progress. I know I hate it when someone reads my comments that are critical of something like the evangelical connection to the Republican party, and I’m instantly painted as one of THOSE liberals–whatever that means. I hope I don’t do it to others.

Jason

posted March 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Jay is a really solid dude. I was blessed to be able to share a table with him during Dream Year and the way he shared his heart with all of us made a big impression on me. I guess I should tell him that sometime. :)

Great post, Matt. I love when you let us behind the curtain. :)

Paula

posted March 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I wish there was a like button. Especially for the last line of your comment :)

Nathan

posted March 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Dang, this is like the only post of yours I’VE agreed with. ;) I love Jay and his honesty and agree with him a lot actually… except for his TV viewing preferences and the Yankees. Super talented guy with a huge heart, awesome what you’re doing to help him here.

And I sort of like you and your honesty too, community is cool, especially when there’s a few wild cards in the bunch.

Gerard Wilkening

posted April 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Just wondering, in advance of I consider subscribing… is that this an actual, individually composed letter to each individual subscriber, or does every writer compose an individual letter each week and send identical composition to all of the subscribers they’re assigned to put in writing to?