Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Christian Facebook status of the day!

I also found this supporting the whole “11th” theory…

The only problem is this: I’m pretty sure the Haiti earthquake happened on the 12th of January, not the 11th.

Jody

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

Since when did overzealous Christians allow little things like facts (like dates) to get in the way of their misuse of scripture? You might as well ask them to consider genre and original intent…

Gabe Smith

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

I don’t think the date of the Haiti quake is the ONLY problem with stuff like this.

John

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

Maybe it was still the 11th in…Hawaii. Or something.

James Williams

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

Not only that, the Sri Lanka Tsunami a few years ago was Aug 29th. And of course, there’s that little matter of the bible writers having a different calendar, and even other nations having a different calendar than the US uses today.

By the way, I’m in the minority here in believing we could be in the last days/end times, whatever you want to call it. But this 11th business is ridiculous.

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

I seriously cannot understand how people can be that utterly stupid. Seriously. If the guy has a computer (as evidenced by the fact that he is posting of facebook), then how is it that he fails to do even a cursory, 2-mintute google search on the history of natural disasters?

The mind boggles.

Kelly

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I keep seeing your comments on this blog and i feel saddened every time . I feel as though you are very hateful and angry towards so many things and people. So sorry for whatever or whoever made you this way.

Dianna

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

You clearly haven’t seen very many of LRA’s comments if that’s your impression.

LRA, I <3 you. You are an important part of this blog's "regular commenters" group. Every time something about science is posted, I wonder "Hm, what's LRA going to say to this?" (and I wonder that in a good way).

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thanks!
        :D

Noelle

posted March 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Wait, there’s a science post?

Kirk to the Cameron! That does sound like fun.

Told the hubby I’d hang with him and not my phone though, so maybe tomorrow…

Oh Kelly, there are many bitter atheists and argumentive theists here. Why single out LRA? I’ll warn you, dismissing the others is gonna cause some sibling rivalry :)

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Kelly– please consider that this kind of “apology” is no apology but rather is passive aggressive b*tchiness. No, you are not sad, you simply don’t like what I have to say.

Which is fine. If you don’t like what I have to say then challenge me. Provide some facts at the very least, but to throw your support in with a person who thinks that three natural disasters = end of the world and get mad because I find that kind of confirmation bias to be utterly stupid is just plain silly. C’mon.

Cam

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

Hilarious. My cousin actually posted this exact status and I was the jerk that corrected him on the Haiti date. It was the 12th.

Daun

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Ha…thank you, thank you, thank you! As I myself am currently coming to terms with my fundamentalist background, the 11 post (offered by several friends on FB)ticked me off for the pure fear based crap it contained. I just cursed the monitor, shook my head, and shed a tear. That you pointed out the quake was on the 12th?…Redemption, Baby.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted March 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

The air is good and clean on the outside of the wall isn’t?

Too bad there isn’t a rescue team to get more out.

Noelle

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:20 am

I like how everything can be sealed with a BOOM!

FB is quicker than a Google search, if you want to avoid ads and pesky reading, and you have enough smarty-pants friends

Josephine Holmes

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oh man…I am from Christchurch, and I feel ripped off that my home town getting destroyed is not part of Jesus’ return plan!

Dianna

posted March 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Ah, but it did happen on the 22nd, which, when divided by the month number (2), it comes to 11! :O
    ;)

Confirmation bias, for the win!

Cheryl

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

My husband, who is a history teacher and expert on U.S. military history, would like to point out that he has three 11′s to disprove that:

November 11 at 11am, 1918, Armistice Day. The day the shooting stopped for World War I.

Kevin

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, this post is bogus. However, if you add 9/11/01 and 3/11/11 you get: 12/22/2012… now that’s weird.

Noelle

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm

What is it about prime numbers that fascinates people? I’ll admit, I like them too, and I don’t know why. Not a crazy stuff happens with 3, 7, 11, 13, etc. They just feel solid. Indivisible.

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I like 17. Oh, and there’s 51, too. Love me some 51.
    :D

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Oh wait! 3 * 17 = 51. So I guess 51 is not prime. But that sure explains why I like it. It’s 15, like three times! LOL!

LRA

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

D’oh! 17 not 15. This is turning into a math-mare.

Noelle

posted March 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

I remember in 2nd grade feeling disappointed when the answer was 6. No deep religious reason. 6 just seemed like a sad number. Nobody counts by 6. There’s no lucky 6. No 6 dollar bill. No right of passage marked by turning 6. And it’s so easily broken down by lesser 2′s and 3′s.

Kellar

posted March 18, 2011 at 12:57 am

Several of my Facebook friends posted this status. Almost as bad as the status itself was the number of people who had “liked” it.

amy courts

posted March 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

details, shmetails…

Phil (NZ)

posted March 19, 2011 at 2:13 am

And he forgot to include New Zealand, 22nd of Feburary…

Brandon

posted March 19, 2011 at 5:59 am

So… how is ridiculous theology “so very republican”? Oh, because everyone that uses religion negatively is a republican, I forgot.

Not.