Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

BIG NEWS: Download the audio book #Churched for FREE! (spread the word!)

Doing this audio book was a dream come true. Seriously. I’ll tell you about that later. But it was a really amazing experience…

For now… please download the audio book of Churched FOR FREE!

Share it with your friends!

Tweet about it!

Send it to people you love!

Send it to people you sometimes don’t love!

Give it away!

Talk about it on Facebook!

Burn it onto CDs for friends…

Embed the above widget onto your blog!

But… most of all… I hope you enjoy it…

And yes, right now it’s FREE!

So please, help me spread the word!

And I’m excited about this (which is why I’m using !!!!), so be prepared to get sick of me talking about it…

Also… I must say special thanks to Todd Farrell for studio/editing work! And also his patience with me when I messed up… over and over and over again… :) And also… to Jeffrey East who graciously gave of his time and talent (he’s the piano player!) to make this project even more unique and special!

So… download, listen, share, and then let me know what you think…

Manda

posted February 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm

This book has been on my wish list for a while. Downloading it now and can’t wait to listen! :)

Alise

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thanks so much! I loved the snippet that you gave us as a teaser a while ago and I can’t wait to listen to the whole thing. Squee!

Gwen "Gigi" Norris

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I listened to the sample chapter, and I know I’m gonna love this book – will definitely be “spreading” the word! Loved the part about turning 12 (hilarious!), my mom used to say the same speech when we turned 12, “Now you’re responsible for your own sins.” Love You.

A

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm

It’s not free if it requires any personal information. You and all on the internet really need to stop making this pitch falsely using the word “free.”

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Seriously?
    You should just move past that…

A

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

It sends a download link to an email address…I can’t move past it.

Oh, wait…you were going for “sarcastic.” Sorry…I missed that because I live in the world where words have to mean what they really mean. Laws and all that stuff, you know.

Try advertising “free” in the real world and then first demand personal information when people show up….someone with “law” or “legal” in his or her title will be by before you close up shop for the day….and might actually *help* you close up shop for the day.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Then don’t download it, A. (Literal enough?)

You seem a bit serious and probably wouldn’t to enjoy it…

However, you’re not going to steal my excitement. Have a nice day!

ed cyzewski

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

A,
        Is your name “A” as in “Type A”?

I don’t know if you’ve ever written a book, but let me tell you based on personal experience and conversations with other authors, it is a TON of work. It’s taxing emotionally and physically all in the name of creating an enjoyable experience for readers. A good book requires hours of work and sacrifice from a team of editors and designers. To go through all of that and then make zero profit by giving it away as a download is an incredible service to me, you, and many others.

Is it no longer free if I need to enter my e-mail address in order to make the download work? Who cares???

This is an amazing and generous offer. What is Matthew going to do with your e-mail address from the book download? What has he gained toward his bottom line? Can he report it for his income tax? You can play human law dictionary all day long, but sharing your e-mail address just to make a download work is the same as driving in your car to pick up a free book at the store.

I’m going to guess you left your e-mail address in order to leave a “free” comment too…

A

posted February 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m actually quite “laid back.” And I *know* that writing a book (and voicing an audio version is a TON of taxing work. It isn’t about that.

Here’s the promotional message sent:

JesusNeedsNewPR FINALLY!!!! Download the audio book #Churched for FREE! http://tiny.cc/uyhq6 Please spread the word! :)

Now, *that* was the offer. Upon following that link and coming to this page, does one find that to be true? Does one find that offer to actually exist? Nope. Furthermore, creation of a dummy email address by the person accepting the offer doesn’t solve the problem of the offer made in the promotional message being nonexistent/false.

It’s too late for the promotional message to be taken back and the offer that was made to be pulled; therefore, the situation must be remedied by the removal of the requirement that something of value (personal information) be surrendered before receiving what was offered “free.”

I’m not trying to ruin anybody’s excitement, be unappreciative, or look a gift horse in the mouth. I love Matthew, his attitude, his heart, and what he has to say…we think much alike, and I’m a consumer of his stuff! The problem is that the offer made could not be found once the action to accept it had been taken.

P13RCE

posted February 18, 2011 at 12:22 am

If you’re genuinely concerned about losing your privacy because of entering your email on NoiseTrade, then try Guerilla Mail (http://www.guerrillamail.com/). It gives you a temporary, throwaway email. Problem solved.

But for most of us, giving over an email address to download something IS free. I paid nothing and no transaction took place. If you don’t like the occasional newsletters, unsubscribe.

And Matthew, thanks for the download. I already have your book, but hearing you read it makes it even better.

Dana

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

If you’re concerned about the privacy of your main email address, get a “free” email address just for special offers.

Getting something for no money is close enough for free for me.

Melissa

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I’m new & confused. Where do I go to download it? I don’t see a link.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Dana

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

After supplying your email address, the link to download is emailed to you. Click on the link that arrives in your email and you’ll be taken to the download page, download, unzip, and you’ll be all set to listen to the MP3.

ed cyzewski

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

You mean I don’t need to enter my bank account info too??? ;)

Dana

posted February 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Wow! Thanks so much! I’ve downloaded it, unzipped it, and ready to put it on my Kindle to listen to… :)

(Have also shared with friends on Twitter and Facebook….)

chris

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

downloaded it, but can’t get it to work.
anyone else having trouble?

chris

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

if anyone else is having my problem,

i downloaded, unzipped, but couldn’t import into iTunes. so Matthew suggested i change the file type from mp3 to m4a, and it successfully opened in itunes.

RadioJB

posted February 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Wait. Confused. How do you change the file type?? You unzip it, then change it? Are you PC or Mac?

James Williams

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I am downloading but it’s real slow. And because I’m an IT/Web guy, I know it’s because you put that tweet out, and several people are trying to download at the same time. So that’s a good problem.

Also, A is out of line. I never like to give out info, but NoiseTrade has never given me problems by misusing or sharing my email address.

T-Bone

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Downloaded fine, but I can’t get it to work in iTunes on my Mac. The files play fine in the preview mode, however. Any ideas?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Yes. Change “mp3″ to “m4a” and it should open in iTunes fine…

sorry for the confusion…

Stephanie

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Matthew,

Thanks so much for doing this!! I just downloaded it and am way excited to listen to it. A question though…my computer arranged the chapters in alphabetical order (which I suspect is not how they are actually supposed to be ordered) and I was wondering if we (I) could get a correct order so I can listen in order. Because I like order.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Sorry about that Stephanie! I did put them in order. :) Here’s the correct order…

Prelude

Again, sorry about that…

T-Bone

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

What about Satan Rules?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Sorry about that. “Satan Rules!” comes “Fertile Soil”!

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm

AFTER… lol

chris

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm

i had to reorganize mine as well. where does ‘satan rules’ go?
      (that sounds weird)

chris

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm

i asked this before i refreshed…sry.

Stephanie

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm

thank you thank you!

connie

posted February 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thank you! Loved listening- very good book!

T-Bone

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Ha-ha! That was at least partially helpful. Is that before or after Fertile Soil? Thanks for your patience. Looking forward to listening – just want to do it in order!

James Williams

posted February 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

If you want to burn them in order to CD, some software will let you do so in the order you choose, but some will not. Here’s a tip. Use the order that MPT placed them in above this comment, and rename each file on your PC before burning them. (Right-click, then select “rename”)

Example:
prelude.mp3 gets renamed to 01_prelude.mp3
gods_new_digs.mp3 gets renamed to 02_gods_new_digs.mp3

and so on.
Make sure you put that 0 in there for the first 9 tracks. Otherwise, it will give you 1, then 10, then 11, 12, etc.

Kylie

posted February 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for letting us download this for free. I have a question already, though? Did your sister go to Creation. Is that the festival you’re referring to where your sister “inhaled” Jesus?

That Theology Student

posted February 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Matthew, this is so happy making. I shall listen to this as I go to sleep. Your dulcet tones will help me drift off.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thank you again for your hard work, your blog, and your willingness to share it with us all, all for (definitely!) free. God bless.

Jemma

posted February 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

Oh man, i should have looked up the chapters before. Listening to your life out of order is strange!

Philana

posted February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

I used a little program called JoinTogether which allowed me to make it into one audiobook file and then have it show up in my audiobooks and transfer to my iPad. There I can listen and read the book (on the Kindle app). It is really helpful to have it in one file!

Joe Crenshaw

posted February 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

My download went smooth but man it isn’t playing on any of my players so far.

Operator error .

gymmie

posted February 19, 2011 at 1:51 am

OK I’m dumb, how do I get it to iTunes :(. I’ve clicked on everything under iTunes and nothing will copy it over :(

jess

posted February 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

THANK YOU! What an awesome gift, thanks! :)

Derrick

posted February 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

So excited about this! Are there plans for a Hear No Evil recording as well?

Ben

posted February 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thanks MPT! Nice to download for free! As in, “didn’t have to exchange currency for it”. Noisetrade is a great place – good to see an audio book on there now too.

TimD

posted February 21, 2011 at 10:55 am

Sorry to be a hassle. I’ve downloaded the files, but Windows Media Player won’t play them and ITunes won’t even show the files (so I could convert them). Any ideas?

Andrew

posted February 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m having the same problem gymmie and TimD are: I can’t get iTunes to acknowledge the files to save my life. Bummed.

Andrew

posted February 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I’m having the same problem gymmie and TimD are: I can’t get iTunes to recognize the files.

Dennis

posted February 21, 2011 at 11:47 pm

PC users… I just stumbled across this freeware called Chapter and Verse that converts mp3 and m4a to audio book format (m4b).

RadioJB

posted February 22, 2011 at 7:09 am

Hey Dennis, it worked! Right on!

RadioJB

posted February 22, 2011 at 7:15 am

Finally got it to my iTunes… and then to my iPhone. Now MPT can speak ever so softly into my ears as I fade deeper into my Ambien induced slumber. THANKS MPT!

Paul Merrill

posted February 22, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Very enjoyable, so far, Matthew. Thanks!

Terry Lange

posted February 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for providing this. I listened to the whole thing over two days. Many of the accounts were very similar to things I had experienced. I am still a fundamentalist, just not of the wacky variety. What became of your parents? Is the church that you attended still in existence? Why did you change some names in the book? Just curious. Thank you for sharing your story, I think that it will help others who have experienced similar situations at the hands of fundamentalists.