Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

A Letter To My Daughter…

This post is from My Daddy Blog.

Dear Adelyne,

Your momma and I saw you this morning. We saw you once before, but you were moody and not being cooperative for the camera (which is something you’ll have to get over fast… your mother scrapbooks)…

But today we saw you. And you are beautiful. Perfect even.

We haven’t figured out a middle name for you yet. But we think it’s a toss up between Adelyne Elise or Adelyne Joy and we considered Adelyne Olivia (But there are sooooo many kids named “Olivia” right now…). Hopefully, we’ll make a decision before you arrive.

I’m writing today to tell you how lucky/blessed you are. You don’t know this yet, but you’re very lucky/blessed. Not because I’m your Daddy–though I am pretty darn awesome at times–but you’re truly luck/blessed because of your Mommy. Seriously, you have the IDEAL Mommy.

And guess what?! Your Mommy has been thinking about you since she was a little girl. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s true. Since the day I met her, your Mommy’s face shines just thinking about having a little baby girl. Whenever she daydreamed about being a mother, in her dreams she always pictured a little girl–I believe she pictured you. You see, it almost seems as though your momma was hand carved by God to raise a little girl. She loves all of the things that boys/men hate and girls love (most of them anyway)–ruffles (unless they’re Ruffles potato chips), frilly dresses, the color pink and saturated purple, cards and colored paper, expensive soaps that smell like fruit smoothies, and chick flicks starring Ashton Kutcher or Matthew McConaughey. So you have it made when it comes to scoring a great Momma, sweet Adelyne. She’s amazing! And you are going to love her so much. You might have a few moments when her attention to detail drives you insane, but eventually (perhaps with some prayer) you will learn to appreciate the heart and passion behind your Momma’s unnecessary organization.

Because your Momma has the most beautiful heart and the most passionate soul–you’d be lucky/blessed/smart to take after her in that department.

And Adelyne, she’s just so excited.

I wish you could have seen her face when she heard the technician say that you were indeed a girl. She smiled big and then immediately started crying. Of course, she did the same thing when we learned that Elias, your brother–he’s AWESOME, too–was going to be a boy (but for completely different reasons!)….

Your momma and I can’t wait to meet you. Hold you. Hug you. Kiss you. Your brother acts excited, too. That might change in the beginning. But he’ll warm up to you.

So take care of yourself. Don’t make your Momma throw up anymore! But eat and grow and know that we’re on the other side of the birth canal waiting for you.

We love you sweet baby girl.

Love, Daddy (and Mommy and Elias)

Emily

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Awwww, I am stuck between tears and laughter! So happy for you. I had a daughter a year ago and there’s nothing like it!!!

Noelle

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm

You’re making me all teary-eyed. I’m so happy for you. Little girls are wonderful. I definitely have a different relationship with my daughter than with my son, and I am not a girly girl (neither is my tomboy princess). Get ready for a pink explosion. :)

Lis

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:11 pm

HILARIOUS! And so sweet!

I am in love with your DAUGHTER’S name. What a daddy’s girl she will be! Congrats!

April L.

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’m currently pregnant with what will hopefully be our first (we’ve had a couple of losses), and this definitely tugged at my hormonal little heartstrings! What a lucky little girl!

Pingback: Tweets that mention A Letter To My Daughter… | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

Carole Turner

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Why you got to make me laugh and cry all in one post?

So good.

diane1230

posted February 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Oh, Matthew, this is SO precious! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Julie Barber

posted February 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Matthew, what a sweet letter! I love her name and I can’t wait to meet her either! Love you all!

Louise

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Ok, you’re officially killing me.. :)
I love the imagery and depth in your writing and you’re also so sweet saving such beautiful words to give your kids wings as they grow..
I have 4 biological children, 3 boys, 1 girl. I love them all dearly. My little girl is now 26 and I can still relate to feeling just like you and your wife right now.
Enjoy the blessing of your beautiful children

Mariah

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That was beeeautiful. Congrats to you and Jessica! So very happy for you. You’re a great daddy MPT. And, yes, you made me cry…thank you very much. =]

gymmie

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

What a lovely letter <3

LRA

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’m so happy for you! La vida dolce! :D

Benjer McVeigh

posted February 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm

So cool…keep those letters coming, and save them. This year, I began the practice of writing a letter to each of my girls on their birthday (they are 1 and 3), and I pray they will find them valuable many years from now. Congratulations!

Steph

posted February 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

What a gift these words are to your daughter and wife!

Rosie

posted February 4, 2011 at 10:30 am

Beautiful letter, Matthew. Love the name and I can’t wait for you guys to hold Adelyne in your hands.

Jason

posted February 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Very touching.

misty

posted February 10, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m totally digging the letter, but I gotta ask, what if Adelyne doesn’t like frilly dresses and pink? What if she wants Tonka trucks and mud holes instead? What if she’s not “girly” at all?

catherinew32@gmail.com

posted November 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Thank you for sharing this sweet letter, and the video of your baby daughter brought tears to my eyes, because I had the same experience when i found out I was going to have a daughter… and i was excited for my husband to experience everything you did/are… and we were waiting just like you… but at 40 weeks, the day before her scheduled c-section we went in for my pre-surgical exam and there was no heartbeat. So that evening she was born still and silent. But she was beautiful too, just like your daughter. You can check out my blog for her: delightofmylife.wordpress.com