Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

How one church is helping Chick-Fil-A fight the gays

Unlike most of my friends, I rarely get a Chick-fil-A craving. And normally when I do get one it happens on a Sunday when I’m walking through a mall food court and I see the darkly lit (closed!) Chick-fil-A booth. The craving passes, which is good because I generally choose a healthier option.

Well, as you probably have heard, the Christian-owned poultry chain known best for its pickle-blessed fried chicken sandwiches and its waffle fries, has been receiving some high-profile grief in the media this past week…

Why? Well according to this Yahoo! news article…

…the chicken sandwich giant Chick-fil-A has come under fire over the past week for sponsoring anti-gay marriage seminars. The New York Times reports a local restaurant in Pennsylvania donated some lunch baskets to a program called “The Art of Marriage” in Harrisburg, Pa. The seminar is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Family Institute, a conservative Christian group which sponsors programs and promotes policies regarding Christian values such as right to life and anti-gay marriage.

I don’t know all of the details, but I must say that this particular complaint seems a bit extreme to me. I mean, we’re talking about one Chick-fil-A store in Pennsylvania donating some boxed lunches to one church’s Art of Marriage event (that church is one of hundreds promoting and hosting the satellite event). To me, this complaint seems petty… I mean, It’s not like it’s a full-on sponsorship, you know? It’s not like it’s: CHICK-FIL-A presents ‘The Act of Marriage and We Hate the Gays’ extravaganza. Now, truth be told, the folks at FamilyLife (the folks putting on the marriage event nationwide) don’t have greatest track record at loving their gay neighbors. Still, we’re talking about some boxed lunches from one store in PA supporting one location of a nationwide event…

I’d think that GLBT activists would have bigger breasts to broil (so to speak…).

BUT according to the activists and bloggers who believe that Chick-fil-A is anti-gay, they suggest that this incident in Pennsylvania is just the tip of the iceberg! And maybe it is–again, I don’t know. They say that C.F.A. has committed a lengthy list of discriminatory against GLBT Americans.  And perhaps they believe enough is enough…

BUT…

THAT’S NOT WHY I’M POSTING ABOUT CHICK-FIL-A….

This afternoon I received an email-forward. The email was sent out by a Baptist church in Arkansas (I won’t name names). It appears that one member of the church (a man named Lawrence) alerted the church staff that Chick-fil-A was getting deep fried by gay and lesbian groups. When the church received this urgent news, I’m assuming they simply copied and pasted the message into an email and sent it out to all of the church’s members and friends (and no, they didn’t “blind copy” them… )

Here is Lawrence’s and Unnamed Baptist Church’s email in its entirety.

Subject: Chick-fil-a under fire

From Lawrence
Please send word to Second Baptist Church that Chik-fil-a has come under fire for giving finanical support to a group that opposes gay marriage and gay rights….We must stand by them with our support as they refuse to fold under pressure from these homos and such…..Chik-fil-a is not open on Sunday and the owner supports Christian values…..The company helps young people with a scholarship program aimed toward college completion for all their employees……Shame on America……Are we going to let this kind of stuff bring down Right and Wrong?????    Please support Chik-fil-a with purchase and with your voice…….let your voice be heard…….

The email is then signed….

Serving HIM Together,

Unnamed Baptist Church

(Address, phone, website)

So there you have it folks: That’s how you can help God help this church help Chick-fil-A fight the “homos”…

Seriously… who needs enemies of God with followers like Lawrence?

Superstarseven

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm

“Homos”? I’d be surprised to find that the man who wrote that is over 15.

Blake J.

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Was it in Jonesboro?

Ginny

posted February 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

If it was, I wanna know where. That’s where I live.

I wanna make sure I NEVER go to that church.

Holly

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Well, I guess I won’t be eating at Chik Fila anymore. I do my best to not give my support (aka my money) to bigots or those that support bigotry.

Superstarseven

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

So you didn’t read anything. That’s good to know.

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:10 am

As I’ve linked below, Chik Fil A’s charity organization donates a ton of money to anti-GLBTQ causes.

rev.spike

posted February 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Good, b/c homosexuality is an abomination. You just don’t have to be jerky about it.

Juliane Kirk Turner

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Wow, I suddenly, for some strange reason, have a bad craving for a CFA sandwich, waffle fries and a large sweet tea. Gee, I guess you could say that all of us that are going to work tomorrow are “anti-unemployment” and if I drive my car, then I’m “anti-amish” For shizzle, people get a grip here. It’s just a few happy meals.

Tivo

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

This made my night!

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:26 am

Logic fail.

You aren’t actively giving money to groups that discriminate against the Amish when you drive your car. If you give money to Chick-Fil-A, then (assuming the report above is true) you are actively participating in the repression of gay people.

When are Christians going to wake up and realize that the biggest threat to Christian marriage is Christian divorce???

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Not only is the above statement true but Chik Fil A has given a LOT of money to anti-LGBTQ causes. http://news.change.org/stories/yes-chick-fil-a-says-we-explicitly-do-not-like-same-sex-couples
      We heard the president of the company speak at a business//leadership event at a local church. Somehow he slid anti-gay marriage crap into his speech. He said something about marriage being between one man and one woman, getting applause from at least half the audience.

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

Ah, man! I’m gonna miss that chickeny deliciousness!!! Boo!

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

I know, they also have the cleanest playplace and friendliest employees. Plus the new spicy chicken sandwich is TEH AWESOME.

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

Girl! Don’t tempt me!

;)

Tivo

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Wow. And we wonder why non Christians are running to the church to get help.

“Seriously… who needs enemies of God with followers like Lawrence?” My thoughts exactly!

M.White

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm

well, what can be said that Lawrence didn’t already put into such fine, eloquent words… first, I agree – the entire thing seems a bit ridiculous. second, those “homos and such”

Marcia

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Interesting, our chick-fil-a has a pretty obviously gay employee. Maybe California didn’t get the anti-gay memo from Atlanta. ;)

sbuxjosh

posted February 1, 2011 at 12:12 am

California failed to get a lot of memos.

Michelle K.

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I 100% agree with Juliane and would also like to say that my choice to eat at Chick-Fil-A has to do with how I feel about chicken and not how I feel about gays. People seriously get way bent out of shape about everything these days.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:28 am

Yes, gay people are sooooo hysterical over having their private lives screwed with by Christians. Such hysteria!

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

I find it really strange when I hear these things from Christians. I grew up in a fundamentalist pentacostal church and there was a new boycott every week! Boycott KMart because they own Waldenbooks and Waldenbooks sells Playboys. My current fave, boycott Home Depot because they let their team members march in the pride parade and offer benefits to same-sex couples.

I’m not huge with the boycotting but when the offense is this grievous, I don’t want my money paying for it.

Matthew Lyon

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:12 am

i hear you calling a boycott, which is to say, you sound like a good (albeit unorthodox) fundamentalist.

fundamentalist have certain “fundamental virtues” that when offended, strike them as a deep moral grievance.

thus, i feel fundamentalism is hard to not be, though the fundamentals may shift.

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

I can’t speak for Ms. Vegas, but I’m not calling for a boycott. I *personally* just don’t want to spend *my* money at a place that would use my money to support something I find morally reprehensible.

I don’t go see Mel Gibson movies for the same reason.

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yes, this. I haven’t actually talked about this anywhere else just yet. I would certainly let people know about the “offense” and I might let them know that I am choosing not to patronize the business but that’s a personal decision. Case in point, my husband will continue eating at CFA, it’s his favorite food in the world (no really).
          Aside from that, I think you missed the point that I was making. Christians are the first to organize boycotts and have, IME, been the first to dismiss those boycotts they don’t agree with as being silly and pointless.

Tiffany

posted February 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

So, do you research everywhere you spend money to make sure that it isn’t supporting something you don’t approve of? I’m pretty sure that would leave you with very few places to spend any money…

posted February 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Actually, I do think carefully about where I spend my money. I prefer to shop at local places, eat at local restaurants, and support local charities (unless I carefully evaluate larger charities).

Yes, I occasionally shop from or eat at chains, but if I hear that these places are supporting or committing morally reprehensible practices, I don’t shop there anymore. Likewise, I don’t support actors/ musicians/ entertainers that do morally reprehensible things.

The one thing I can’t control is gasoline. I have to have it for my car, and I’m plenty aware of the fact that it funds terrorism, but there is nothing I can do about it.

In any case, there are plenty of small, family owned, local businesses where I live, and I actually have come to know some of the owners personally. I’m loyal to their businesses because I’m a little old fashioned like that.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I wanna be like you when I grow up! I buy free range eggs but haven’t made the transition from grocery store meat to local grass-fed farms.
          I buy what I can from companies I like (Paul Newman’s or Seventh Generation and only fair-trade coffee) but I’m no where near where I’d like to be.
          The only other store I currently don’t shop at is WalMart, I quit them three years ago for several reasons.
          Anyway, @Tiffany, your reasoning would also work with “I can’t help all poor people so I just won’t help any”. I don’t avoid every company, just the ones I find particularly grievous. And what I find particularly grievous will be different from what the next person finds grievous. We all have specific things we are passionate/convicted about.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm

LOL! Thank you for your very kind words. I appreciate it.

Well, I’ve always lived in larger cities (1 million plus) and so it makes it easier to have variety in shopping.

People often think of Texas as an *ss-backward, redneck place, but Whole Foods Market was founded here. HEB/Central Market is also a Texas business, as it Tom Thumb/Randall’s (all Texas grocery stores). There is a Farmer’s market down the street from me and another one about 2 miles up the road.

My favorite restaurants include Mi Cocina (which started out with one restaurant in Dallas and now has several in Dallas and Houston), Patrizios (there are only two in Dallas), and Freebirds (where I ate after I graduated from college at Texas A&M– there was only one at the time and when it expanded to Dallas, Houston, and Austin- I was ecstatic!) I eat BBQ at only one place– Kelly’s Eastside, where I know the owner, his wife, and his son. I get pizza from Urban Crust or Fireside Pies (which only exist in Dallas). My favorite sushi place is Teppo and it’s sister Tei Tei (which are owned by a Japanese man and have the best sushi/ yakitori I’ve ever had in my life… Nobu can’t even compare!)

I can’t even begin to list all the boutique clothing and shoe shops here, but I do look at clothing labels to see where they are made. I try as best I can to buy clothes made in the USA, but there is a loophole even there because USA territories are still the USA and their minimum wage is not subject to Federal protections, so there are sweat shops in the USA, sadly!

Anyway– there are loads of places to shop and eat guilt free here. I like it! :D

Of course, I can’t control every thing. I do try to be mindful, when possible.

Dianna

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I miss Free Bird’s. Sigh.

Ryan Perdue

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Wow, great to see such a great guy in the know send that email, that would make the lgb comunity really want the God that we have. I really appreciate the stuff that is written here because it’s time to take the blinders off and admit, we all have issues we can work on.

Joe Crenshaw

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Again, Lawrence was probably busy helping Dr. Nefarious set traps for Ratchet as he works to free Clank.

The reality is this message could have been from some teenage prankster or the like.

Even the most prejudice southerners who are against the GLBT or BLT W/NO MAYO agendas don’t use the term “homos.”

Again, I see both sides. Those who support gay rights and those of us who believe it is a sin and will lead to damnation without true repentance.

A very complex issue and one the church must handle better than it has in the past and than it is currently.

Silica

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

I don’t know that I agree with you (surprise! :)) about the use of the word “homo.”

Certainly, most adults would not use it in everyday “mixed” conversation. But if you were just with people who you thought agreed with you…

BMH

posted January 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm

But both sides have it so wrong, as colonel sanders found out:

Pingback: Tweets that mention How one church is helping Chick-Fil-A fight the gays | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

Pingback: Even the Right Can Get It Wrong… « Ramblings of a Normal Guy

Green Eggs and Ham

posted January 31, 2011 at 11:28 pm

We do not have these things in Canada. CFA, I mean, not homophobes. Should I come to the USA I will not eat their food for my health’s sake and for gay people’s sake. I don’t support intolerance even in small doses.

Here is my take on the gay marriage issue.

No one will be able to marry their dog, if gay marriage is allowed. Dogs can’t consent to marriage. We have had gay marriage here in Canada for several years now. Society has not collapsed here. But hey, we are godless socialists here, so how would I know?

There is a huge difference between civil and religious marriage.

Religious institutions have had there own standards of whom they will and won’t marry. For example, the RCC won’t marry you if you are divorced or if you are not Catholic. I think that’s short-sighted, but to each his own. I know it’s that whole marriage is a sacrament thing.

Civil marriage is in no way sacramental, sacred or religious. It is the civil authorities’ recognition of a civil marriage.

I absolutely demand a fire wall between the two types of marriage.

The right to choose who to marry is part of the freedom of religion. This does include the right of a church to marry gays if they wish. I would also zealously defend that right to choose who to marry, even though I think that refusing to do so is bigoted.

Equally, the recognition of gay marriages by the civic authorities is most certainly an extension of civil rights for all.

As an aside, the civic authorities do not recognize all religious marriages. Wives no. 2 through 32 that are married to a fundamentalist Mormon are not recognized by the state.

sbuxjosh

posted February 1, 2011 at 12:14 am

Win.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:31 am

Well said!

Silica

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

“The RCC won’t marry you if you are divorced or if you are not Catholic.”

Not entirely true, but you’re right that we are picky. :) You have to have your marriage declared annulled by the Church to be married again in the Church (legally isn’t enough). And the Church will marry Catholics and Christians from other denominations. But there is a lot of pre-marriage prep that you have to do to be married in the RCC – which makes sense, because they want to actively make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.

But other than that….yeah, I totally agree with you and your comment is full of win. :)

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the correction.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Thank you very much for the correction and the compliment.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

^^^
    What he said.

Meagan

posted January 31, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I suppose anything that lessens my CFA intake is a good thing, but I JUST moved to Boise which JUST got its first CFA after living 700+ miles from one for six years. Bad timing for the bigotry!

Dan M

posted February 1, 2011 at 1:47 am

No C.F.A’s in the Pacific Northwest anyway so I could care less. Calling an entire chain of restaurants anti-gay because one in PA gave some sandwiches to a church is stupid. Boycotting them because of it is also stupid, mainly because, as most Christians can tell you from experience, boycotting rarely works.

Dan M

posted February 1, 2011 at 1:57 am

Also, calling this the tip of the iceberg is using the same bad logic as those who say if we allow gay marriage then whats next, people marrying their dog? Or worse, people marrying their dog and having Chick-Fil-A cater the reception?! Madness!!!

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Except in this case it IS the tip of the iceberg. Take a look at the article I linked above, CFA gives quite a bit of money to anti-GLBTQ causes.

Daniel

posted February 1, 2011 at 2:35 am

All messing around aside, I live a short 5 minutes from the CFA owner guy’s compound, if you all want, I could run over there and do something…

Dianna

posted February 1, 2011 at 3:16 am

Do we even know that the sandwiches at the thing in PA were pro bono sorts of things, or were they catered (ie, the church ordered them and paid for them)? Seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to get all riled up about.

I love Chick Fil A. When I lived in TX, the special treat that my roommate and I would get on days we were feeling particularly happy was always a CFA milkshake. We had a CFA on the Baylor campus, even, and that was deadly for me as a grad student (my first semester, CFA was what I ate almost every day I was on campus). :| I love them far too much to say no.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:38 am

At the very least, the coverage puts pressure on the store in Pennsylvania not to do that again– and gives people who are supporters of the ending of gay repression a reason to watch what CFA does in the future. I personally don’t want to give money to a bigoted organization… and as much as I love me some Chick-Fil-A, I’d give it up if that turned out to be the case.

ew

posted February 1, 2011 at 6:00 am

I fail to see how donating sandwiches or money to a marriage seminar is anti gay. The point of the seminar is how to improve your Christian marriage. Surely even gays would have to concede that heterosexuals should work to improve their marriages and that that would probably be a different seminar than how to improve your gay marriage. Am I anti knitting if I go to a Crochet class? But seriously, CFA is just trying to get some samples in front of their core demographic – that being likely moms who will meet the play group for lunch at their playground instead of mcd’s.

Eddie

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:55 am

Could it be…and this may be far-fetched…but that there’s a church group that is opposed to gay marriage and recognizes homosexuality as a sin (among other marriage related topics such as poor financial stewardship, lust, and divorce) and is promoting biblical marriage from a biblical view and Chick-fil-a is donating food for the event because a) they’re a Christian business, unapologetically, and have the right to, and b) it’s smart business for a Christian business to cater to Christians?

Are people really going to boycott them? From a different end of teh spectrum, didn’t the SBC try that against Disney in the 90’s? Epic fail from both ends.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

If I want a Christian marriage, can I marry 500 people and have 300 concubines???

Or should my brother-in-law be expected to marry me if my spouse dies?

Which Christian marriage are you referring to?

April L.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:22 am

THIS.

Ella

posted February 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

You’re obviously referring to the Old Testament view of marriage, which was not Biblical.

posted February 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Lolwhut? The Old Testament is not Biblical? That’s news to me!

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I’m just guessing here, but did you mean to say “not Christian”? Because it’s obviously Biblical and was, at one point, sanctioned by God.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Also, Didn’t Jesus say, “I have not come to abolish the Laws and the Prophets, but to fulfill them”?

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Pardonez-moi?

Erin

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

Each CFA restaurant is locally owned and operated. They’re franchises, and the local owner is the one who chooses which charities, etc., they wish to support. Chick-fil-A corporate HQ primarily does all of its charitable work through their own non-profit branch, the WinShape Foundation.

David in Houston

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm

“Chick-fil-A corporate HQ primarily does all of its charitable work through their own non-profit branch, the WinShape Foundation.”

…which has ties to anti-gay “family values” organizations.

Brian

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

MPT – Just so you know, Chicfila is actually one of the more healthier choices in the mall. I don’t think they have a meal that is over 500 calories (not counting soft drink). But, that’s just a side note.

As far as boycotts go, I think they are ridiculous. I remember in the 90s when Disney had their “gay day” the Baptists found out about it and went haywire. And as far as I know, the boycott never officially ended for the Baptists going to Disney World. But, here’s my point…nothing happened. Just like nothing will happen if gay people stop eating at chicfila. These types of “massive” boycotts never seem to work.

Chicfila is getting plenty of free advertising thanks to this controversy and that coupled with a great chicken sandwich will sustain them through this. Just like Disney World. Disney is too magical for people to boycott. In the end it boils down to this: A lot of Baptist children missed out on Disney world and a lot of gay people will be missing out on chicken sandwiches. Tis a horrible thing on both sides.

Andy

posted February 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

Aren’t Christians such loving people?

Justin

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

I think a bigger issue would be if CFA refused to cater a gay event because they were against it. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would do that.

FYI, CFA has just as much of a right to support whatever they want as any of you do to boycott them.

I’m not going to claim that I am any sort of authority on homosexuality. I have a handful of friends that are gay, but I also think that any Christian who claims the Bible is their authority and doesn’t adhere to what they believe or interpret it to say is hypocritical. I don’t hate gays and I’m honestly not even opposed to civil unions as I also believe those are different from church-sanctioned marriages, but to me the Bible says homosexuality is a sin and I believe that. Doesn’t mean I love my gay friends any less or treat them any differently than I would anyone else. To me, homosexuality is virtually irrelevant in a discussion of sin because we’ve all committed other sins and it doesn’t matter which ones when it comes to our relationship with Christ. Gays haven’t committed any worse of a crime than any pastor up on the pulpit.

David Wilson

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Agreeing with Justin 100% – signed, the pastor up on the pulpit

Kyle S.

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

The “homosexuality is just another sin” line is a repulsive statement to make. I give people who say it the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are trying to be compassionate, loving, and humble, but that statement (like “welcoming but not affirming”) is anything but.

What you’re telling me if I’m a person in a gay relationship is that what my partner and I share is on the same level as murder and theft. It sounds nicer than “Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve” but it’s no less hurtful.

Justin

posted February 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm

On the flip side of that, I’m also saying that me telling a “white lie” is as bad as murder.

Like I said, I will not even come close to explaining homosexuality as I personally don’t believe it’s near as simple as “it’s a choice” or “someone is just born that way”. All I’m saying is that if, as a Christian, I claim to live my life by the Bible and I’m reading the Bible to say that homosexuality is a sin then I’m hypocritical to not believe that or follow that.

Whether or not you agree with that view is a completely different argument.

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Ya know… now that I think about it, I think the whole term “Christian marriage” is an oxymoron.

Didn’t Jesus call Peter to leave behind his wife and kids so he could make him a “fisher of men” (and at a time when women had few, if any rights to care of themselves independently of their fathers or husbands)?

Didn’t Jesus say that unless a man hates his family, he can’t follow him?

Didn’t Jesus eschew marriage himself?

I’m not sure Jesus cared for the whole marriage thing. And since his followers thought he was coming back in their *lifetimes*, they also talked out against marriage… as Paul said, “It is better to marry than to burn” because he was expecting the immanent return of Jesus.

Right?

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:26 am

And no I don’t think the water/wine thing at Cana counts. Those were Jewish people, after all.

Noelle

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

We don’t have this Chick-fil-a you speak of in Michigan. Are we missing anything? We do like to eat and drink every day of the week, so if’n it’s closed on Sundays we’ll stick with KFC. (Our Sunday a.m. alcohol selling ban just ended this month)

Kerry-Anne

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

I was following this story on Twitter when it first came out. I didn’t delve too deeply in it, but the way I saw it was that the ‘seminar’ people kindly put the CFA logo onto their marketing material making it look like they (CFA) were the main sponsor of the whole event (well, that’s how I saw it).

The CFA logo was then removed, but the sketch drawing of the heart on the poster/ad looked suspiciously like a chicken… (classic!)

So I guess it’s all up for interpretation really. What they intentions are, only the selective few will know.

CFA had some great tweets at the time – like a little child in a LOT of trouble.

It just started getting a bit boring watching them try divert the issue.

But, at the end of the day, it’s a fact that Jesus loves gays. He does. Really.

Luke Liddell

posted February 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m from Arkansas and my church supports Chick-fil-a, but that letter is ridiculous. Clearly Lawrence has never heard love your neighbor before.

posted February 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

What does that mean, that your church supports Chik Fil A?

Charlie's Church of Christ

posted February 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm

oh geez. I think if we just let the situation be most people would conclude what MPT concluded – that it was one lone restaurant donating sandwiches. But now because Christians will start fighting back it’ll turn into some big monster…

posted February 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

But it’s not one lone restaurant. The company supports many anti-LGBTQ causes.

JenDOC

posted February 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

A dear friend of mine committed suicide because she was transgendered. Guess what? I don’t take any anti-LGBT statements lightly. People are dying over this.
CFA – you get zero money from me. I couldn’t do it in good conscience knowing how many have been bullied, murdered or committed suicide over this.
And because I’m one of millions stuck in the house during this snowstorm and really cranky, I am going to be brutally blunt here. (Caps intended) STOP PREACHING FROM BEHIND YOUR PULPITS, USING THE AUTHORITY OF CHRIST, IF YOU CANNOT BE 100% EQUALLY SUPPORTIVE OF LGBT SISTERS AND BROTHERS. You do faaaar more damage to God’s creation than good.

posted February 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your friend.

JenDOC

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thanks. It still hurts even after 7 months. But she was one of many who suffered at words of “christians”. When ministers (seminarian here) say such things as tying LGBT to sin, I just want to cry, scream, shout, wring the necks of people, then gently remind them of my friend and the countless others who suffer(ed). How dare they say that who they are is equal to being a murderer. How dare anyone try to make God’s creation feel less than that.

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Powerful words. People should never have to feel bad about who they are just for being different. I’m sorry your friend suffered so terribly because people were incapable of rising above their petty prejudices.

Joel

posted February 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

For all of you commenting “We don’t have CFA where I’m from…”, I would check the website if I were you. You might be surprised!

noelle

posted February 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Just checked. None. Closest is Indiana, and I’m not driving all the way to Indiana for s sandwich

Ella

posted February 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh for Pete’s sake it’s their money. Let them donate to whomever they wish.

posted February 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

So if they donate to the KKK, you’re cool with that?

Yeah, they can donate to whomever they wish. I’m just not going to eat there if they do.

posted February 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm

And I’m not saying what you should do or where you should shop… it’s your life and you have the freedom to live by the dictates of your conscience as I have the freedom live by the dictates of mine (obviously). That’s all I’m saying.

Erin

posted February 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Many of my family and friends are employed by CFA, so I’m probably biased in this discussion. Regardless, I choose to support CFA practically to the exclusion of all other fast food chains because I have witnessed firsthand the quality of their company. Unlike the majority of American businesses, they genuinely care about their customers and their employees, to an extent I have never seen elsewhere. I do not agree with all of Mr. Cathy’s personal beliefs, but I do respect him and what he and his family are trying to create. They do not discriminate in their business – CFA is an equal opportunity employer and serves everyone.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

“they genuinely care about their customers and their employees”
    Unless they’re gay. Then they can forget about partner benefits and be “happy” to work for such a great company that is actively working to deny their civil rights.
    CFA is an awesome company in every way except this but it’s a big “this”.

Dean Atkinson

posted February 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Well, I myself do not agree with gay marriage and I do believe homosexuality is a sin. I have several gay friend who know my stance on this, but also know that I don’t think it is any greater of a sin than anything I struggle with to this day, and they know that I don’t judge or condemn them as people. I think there is a balance. To be cruel and condeming like many, “Christians” are is ridiculous and ignorant. But, to blatantly say that it is ok and not a sin and use the name of Christ with that is absolutely a disgrace and goes against the Word of God, in my opinion. There has to be a balance I believe, there are many people who have been set free from homosexuality, but that came from the unconditional love of Christ and others who loved the person in spite of sin, just like me when I was an addict, and alcoholic. The same love and forgiveness I need with sins that I struggle wirh on a daily basis. I’m sure that what I am saying isn’t going to be very popular here considering this page is catered to those with liberal political views. Let me just say this, If Chik Fil A updates you by this and you don’t want to eat there, then at least don’t give your money to anyone who will give it to Planned Parenthood, but I guess that’s a whole other topic.

JenDOC

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I vehemently disagree. And politics, “liberal political views”, has nothing to do with how we view and love our LGBT sisters and brothers.
    And I’m amazed at how you also brought in the abortion debate.
    I have little respect for your response.

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Wow. Dean, how is it any of your business what I do with my body?

And just so you know, PP gives low cost gynecological care to any woman who walks through the door… meaning low cost well-woman exams. I went to PP in college because my campus didn’t offer good gynecological care for its students and I couldn’t afford supplementary health care at the time because I was putting myself through college. PP helped me maintain good health, so I’m thankful to them for that. What has the Religious Right done for my health care??? Big fat zilch. Nada. Goose egg.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I also went to PP for gyno visits during college. And I was in a conservative Bible College! There are very few options for low income women so it’s even more awesome that they are so caring and supportive at PP.

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

What does this have to do with Planned Parenthood? Do they have a secret anti-GLBTQ campaign I haven’t heard about? Are you uncomfortable with this topic and trying to derail the thread or what?

David in Houston

posted February 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

“There has to be a balance I believe, there are many people who have been set free from homosexuality, but that came from the unconditional love of Christ and others who loved the person in spite of sin, just like me when I was an addict, and alcoholic.”

Flat-out wrong. You cannot pray-the-gay-away. No one can change their sexual orientation. The only thing so-called ex-gay people do is to not act out on their innate sexuality. Pretending to be straight (living the “straight lifestyle”) does not mean your sexual orientation has changed. — You are also comparing behavior (alcoholism) to sexual orientation. They are not the same thing. One is a choice, the other is not.

Erin

posted February 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

In case anyone’s interested to see Dan Cathy’s response to the issue: http://vimeo.com/18680127

Drew Murray

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Since you added your opinion about the story, let me fill you in on what the hoopla is actually about. It’s not about chicken fingers being donated to a gay-bashing conference. Obviously donating to hateful organizations isn’t bad to you, which is fine to have your own opinion, but the issue with chickfila is that this incident just brings light to their larger agenda. Chickfila funnels millions of dollars to it’s own WinShape Foundation which partners with the National Organization for Marriage to take away equal rights from people in California, Maine, Iowa, DC, New Hamphire and the list goes on. Discrimination and hate isn’t cool to me, so since im gay and i pay taxes and obey the law, Its kinda a big deal to me.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Drew,
    I’m not sure if your comment is directed at me (the blogger) or not. But I’m very sorry that my post offended you. I hate discrimination of any kind. And I’ve written about those opinions here on many occasions. I admitted to being uninformed about CFA and my opinion was based on the one incident in PA. I was just making the point that there seems to be bigger “battles” of anti-gay acts to fight than this one. I wasn’t trying to imply that it was meaningless because it’s not.

Again, I am very sorry that it came across as if I don’t care. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My best,
    Matthew

Ginny

posted February 3, 2011 at 11:03 am

I live in Arkansas, and that e-mail seriously bothers me. I would like to know (privately if at all possible) where this church is so I can avoid it at all costs.

rev.spike

posted February 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm

So, when do we begin to boycott eateries b/c they are not green enough, healthy enough, are opwn on Sat/Sun (depending on our congregations worship day), or are rabidly materialistic?

Ill quit going to CFA when they start giving out wrappers w/ quotes from Fred Phelps. Until then, yummo. I bet tehy have waffle fries in Heaven.

Rick Garner

posted February 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Exactly, it’s not that simple. Too often we try to make issues simple. And too often we try to complicate that which is simple.

On the boycotting issue, I have little patience with boycotts of businesses that go beyond their product. It’s your money and your choice where to spend it. (Actually, it’s God’s money since He gave you the talents to make that money that hopefully you’re tithing at least 10% to your church) However, if you’re going to boycott a business, do it because they’re knowingly selling bad chicken. Do it because they’re product is harmful. Not because they choose to support this or that.

That goes for AFA’s boycott of Home Depot as well.

Boycotts also do nothing for opening discussions. They become like little child-games. “My money is my money even after I spend it…so you’re not going to get it because you’ve got cooties!”

For more on this debate, check out my post: http://www.richardtgarner.com/2011/02/your-favorite-chicken-is-not-anti-gay.html