Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Okay, so by now you’ve probably heard the news: A lot of Christians are intellectually challenged when it comes to matters of faith.

Well, duh. They call that news? Of course, we failed the test. Sheesh. What did people expect?

It was administered by liberals!!!!!

(i.e… smart people)

But seriously, BIG DEAL… so the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life found that the average Protestant and Roman Catholic in America is sort of dumb when it comes to religion… WHO CARES?!

We don’t…

Oh… I almost forgot… the study also found that Jews, Mormons, agnostics, and atheists are like totally major religious smarty pants.

Does this really surprise anybody?! Golly gee, were you born again yesterday?

But seriously, who cares? Like who cares?! We have Jesus in our hearts and they don’t.

Who’s laughing now?!

Huh?

Yes… all of those other people are really smart but they are going to burn in Hell. See? That’s the trade off for being smart in this world…

Eternity in Hell. (That’s a really long time.)

Now do you see why we’re dumb? Do you see it?! We can’t become more intelligent than our belief in Hell…

Anyway, the basics of the study is this…

On average, Americans correctly answer 16 of the 32 religious knowledge questions on the survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. Atheists and agnostics average 20.9 correct answers. Jews and Mormons do about as well, averaging 20.5 and 20.3 correct answers, respectively. Protestants as a whole average 16 correct answers; Catholics as a whole, 14.7. Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons perform better than other groups on the survey even after controlling for differing levels of education.

Okay… so the media is like BLOWING this news out of proportion. We scored a 50%! Yes, we got half of the answers wrong… but we also got half of the answers right?! Why don’t they talk about that.

And you know very well the dirty rotten liberals at the Pew Forum (P.U. Forum, if you ask me!) probably performed this study in the lobby of a convention center where Joyce Meyer was having one of her conferences. Sheesh. I guess we should be thanking our lucky stars that we got 50% of the answer correct.

And my gosh… what is up with you Roman Catholics?! Seriously, you’re stupider than us evangelicals. (I think it’s because you guys believe in transubstantiation. Just a guess.)

Okay, so on to the point of this post: Why did America’s Christians fail the religion 101 test?

Here are my 11 guesses…

1. Well, like duh… Christianity isn’t a religion… it’s a RELATIONSHIP. (Now who are the dumb dumbs?) Questions about Christianity shouldn’t have even been on the test.
  2. The Apostle Paul said that knowledge puffeth up! So there. All you Jesusless people are fatties. (We are skinny.)
  3. Alabama has A LOT of Christians. Seriously, it does. And sometimes they aren’t too bright.
  4. Faith is the evidence of things unseen. See?! Get it? It don’t take brains to have faith, people! Duh.
  5. There were questions about Lucifer’s religions on that test! Of course, we didn’t know the answers. We shun all the things that Lucifer loves! (And like, hello?–he’s a Muslim.)
  6. Fox News was not involved in this particular study… if they had, the results would have been soooooo different.
  7. Better is one day being a dumbass in the presence of the Lord than like a hundred billion million as a smart atheist.
  8. Sarah Palin took the test. We should have been given a curve. It’s not really our fault that she’s not a Mormon.
  9. The Bible says that Hell is for smart people. Was that on the test?! Was it? No. People who made that test were smart!
  10. T. B. N.
  11. Just because we CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens us doesn’t mean we WILL. But we could. If we wanted to. We could. Which was totally the point that the Apostle Paul was trying to make. We CAN/COULD do all things through Christ if we wanted to. Sometimes we don’t want to.

Now, for the record, I took Pew Forum’s 15-question sample test on religion (TAKE IT HERE!) and scored a 100%. I know, I know… but it’s true. I answered all 15 questions correctly.

And only had to guess once…

(Some of the points made in above post do not reflect those of Matthew Paul Turner. But he’s not telling you which ones.)

@iambendavis

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Loved it. Hope your doing well.

Alexis

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just scored a 14/15 on the quiz, and didn’t guess on any of them. I don’t know if I should be proud to have done better than 97% of the people taking this test, or if I should be terribly worried about the intellect of my fellow Americans. Then again, Albert Einstein did wonderfully say, “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”

With all of that being said, what does this quiz or knowing the answers have to do with anything? And how will this quiz or nowing the answers solve any pertinent problems?

Haven

posted September 29, 2010 at 6:52 am

Well, I would reply that knowledge is several key things. First, knowledge helps to create understanding. If a person knows actually knows about another persons faith, they may, not will unfortunately, but may be able to better understand them as a person and their faith.

Plus, knowledge of one’s own religion helps to lend creedence and validity to arguments based in one’s religion. Just like any other subject; if you don’t know what you are talking about, then you sound like a fool to anyone outside of people who already agree with you. And in a country that is so polarized about issues, and many use their religion as a basis, or the main basis, for their positions, if you don’t even know your religion, then why should i find any validity in your positions based on them.

Just a thought. And I hope I didn’t sound like I was attacking you, i promise I was just responding, and trying to be polite. I don’t like internet tough guys and would hate to come off as one.

Riggs

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm

10 out of 15 for me

Jessica

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm

80%!

Michelle

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:45 pm

83% Woohoo!

BTW, your blog really gives me a lot to think about. Thanks!

Nate

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

well done good sir

Pingback: Tweets that mention 11 Reasons Why America’s Christians Are Religiously STUPID (and Atheists are smarter) | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

John

posted September 28, 2010 at 8:59 pm

100%.

And the study was accurate. People of faith rarely know the tenets and history of their own belief system. Because bigotry only needs a hair’s breadth of an excuse to breed in the places where fundamentalism bows its head.

I learned much of my faith while rejecting it. It’s a very freeing experience, but the wealth of knowledge acquired about religious history has been staggering, both in its size and scope, but also in the realization that much of this stuff will never be acquired by believers who seem to know their god so well.

Revyloution

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I only missed the last question of the quiz. Of course, I’m from the gifted minority of godless heathens, so excellence is expected :)

Reading your post, I had a good chuckle. Unfortunately, I’ve met people who could say the exact same thing without a trace of irony. Poe’s law in action I guess.

In all honesty, what do you think Jesus will say to people like Sarah Palin? What will Jesus say to all the racist Teabaggers? They believe in Jesus, doesn’t that mean they will get a free pass into the Pearly Gates?

steph

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:28 am

“They believe in Jesus, doesn’t that mean they will get a free pass into the Pearly Gates?”

“believe” – the word implies more than mental assent, it indicates that action follows belief. 1 John 2:3-5 tell us that keeping His commandments are the proof that we know Him. What commandments? Christ told us the two greatest commandments are to love: love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength; and the second is like the first, love your neighbor as yourself. (Matt 22:36-40) All that to say (without commenting on the persons specified), do you think that people claiming to be Christians who consistently promote hatred really believe in Jesus? Or do they just claim to? (Matt 7:15-23)

steph

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

P.S. Christians who can’t identify the man associated with the ark are missing out on the “love the Lord your God with all your mind” part of the commandment, don’t you think? Americans are so intellectually lazy. We have all the opportunity to really study our faith (and just about anything else), but no desire to do so. Public school teaches us that we just need to know enough to pass the test, and when we think that entrance to Heaven is FREE, that means we don’t need to know anything, right?

Matt Miles

posted September 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Public school also teaches pretty much everything that’s on the quiz, by the way. The system may be flawed in places, but as a teacher it does tend to bug me when all the blame gets dumped on schools/teachers. It’s being taught, but many just don’t care.

steph

posted September 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Sorry, I should be clear that I think most teachers rock. I do think the system itself sucks, but the teachers (and administrators) I know do their best for the kids with what they have to work with.

Revyloution

posted September 29, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I genuinely believe that people who promote hatred, bigotry, and all that other crap the far right believes, are doing exactly what the bible tells them to. It’s not hard to cherry pick the bible to find something that supports any presupposition you want to make.

steph

posted September 30, 2010 at 2:16 am

“It’s not hard to cherry pick the bible to find something that supports any presupposition you want to make.”

That’s true if you take pieces out of context, and not only of the Bible. You could also cherry pick Obama’s speeches to “clearly” demonstrate that he’s Muslim (or so I’ve heard… not that anyone has sent me multiple links to that video). Creative editing is the cornerstone of propaganda. It is not, however, a good way to understand the Bible or the God it reveals.

“Most liberal Christians overlook the really hateful and scary parts of the bible. Most fundamentalist Christians overlook the socialist messages and the messages of love and charity.”

Huh. Who knew? Which parts of the Bible did you find scary? Hateful? Or for that matter, socialist? (Just kidding, the socialism is in Acts, I know.)

“Both groups call the others ‘UnChristian’. I think the True Scotsman fallacy defines that poor logic quite clearly.”

There are actually some qualifications (not sure that’s the right word, but it’s what I’ve got at 4am) for Christians actually laid out in the New Testament, some things that are actually stated, “if you are not ___, then you don’t belong to Him/ the truth is not in you.” (It’s not a punch list, though, sorry, you actually have to read through the book.) Nothing about khaki pants or potlucks, but that pesky obedience issue actually comes up quite a bit. The love thing gets good coverage, too. So… less “true Scotsman fallacy” and more “doesn’t fit the established definition.”

Obviously, this all assumes that the Bible is what defines Christianity, as opposed to the definition being based on popular opinion or something equally fickle.

JoelR

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I got a 100% too! Maybe we can start a club or something.

Jack

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:07 pm

15/15 for me (correct, that is).

Looking at the questions presented to me (roughly half of all the questions asked in the survey), I’m not sure what it proves. I guess it is kind of scary that Christians don’t know basic things from the Bible.

Jen

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:14 pm

12/15 for me. In my defense, I’m neither Catholic, nor Jewish–and those were 2 I missed. The other I just flat out didn’t know. :)

Roscoe

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I compared to overall so I would be a super Jewish Atheist Agnostic. Sure why not?

John

posted September 29, 2010 at 11:12 am

Roscoe:

Super Jew? Is there any other kind?
    :-)

Scott Baker

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm

100%. I guess I don’t have to return that fancy seminary degree.

But, honestly, haven’t we already been forced to confront this? Would American Christians have freaked out over the Da Vinci Code if they knew anything about their religion? Would they have denounced Harry Potter if they knew anything about their faith? Would they be losing their shit over mosques/community centers in Murfreesboro and NYC if they understood even the most basic tenets and history of Christianity?

(I meant those questions rhetorically, but given how dumb most Christians apparently are, I’ll go ahead and answer them all: NO.)

Jdjordan

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Scott Baker, I’m interested in how you directly relate freaking out over the Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, and mosques to the amount of religious knowledge one has. I agree with what you say, I’m just interested in how you arrived at it…

Scott Baker

posted September 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I’ll answer to the Da Vinci Code issue, and hopefully my answer will be instructive for how I would answer the other two examples.

The Da Vinci Code was successful precisely because the vast majority of its readers were religiously illiterate. The drama disappears from a story when its premise is dismantled by the truth. You can’t know anything about the formation of canon, the Reformation, or the nature of the relationship between Jesus and Mary of Magdala and still find the Da Vinci Code even remotely credible. And that thin veneer of credibility is what is needed in order for it to be a dramatic success, because, honestly, it wasn’t very well written. It was a formula piece. But in order to disguise that fact, the seeming credibility of religious scandal was necessary.

So what happened was that American Christians freaked out and viewed the book and then film as an assault on Christianity. But that is akin to me saying that the existence of the Twinkie is an assault on bread. You can’t know anything about bread and think that a Twinkie has anything to do with the subject. A shocking illiteracy was displayed. I indict clergy above all others in these debacles. It is apparent that not enough is being done to teach what Christianity teaches about itself.

Likewise, in a nutshell, no Christian who understands their faith and the limited and defeated power of the demonic would fear that a badly written children’s series like Harry Potter could legitimately lead anyone into darkness. Nor could any Christian who understands that love for neighbor is at the core of our faith act in the manner that the opponents of the two mosques are doing.

Simply put, when you can see the truth, you need not fear that which falls short. As the writer of 1 John said, “perfect love drives out fear.” Fear is not a Christian response, and that is exactly what has been manifested in the face of The Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, the mosques, and myriad other inane examples. Ignorance breeds fear, and in these cases, it is ignorance of the doctrine and history of the Christian faith that has created the atmosphere of fear in which we live today.

Dianna

posted September 29, 2010 at 1:54 am

On the Harry Potter comment: I would argue also that no one who understands the relationship between believers in a body of faith could possibly deem Harry Potter as a path toward evil, especially after book seven was published. The books are not only a clear tale about how Love triumphs over all that is evil, but about how Love is an active force that functions to bring people together to use their individual skills for the good of the spiritual body. Christians, indeed, have A LOT to take away from Harry Potter’s world if they understand their faith even a tiny bit.

Also: I certainly give you badly written on The Da Vinci Code, and I might give you “badly written” on the first Harry Potter book, but certainly not for the series as a whole. But what do I know? I only wrote my Master’s thesis on the thing. ;)

Troy

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:18 am

great comment and so true.

(except that bit about harry potter being badly written)

Ashley

posted October 1, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Well said Scott Baker, well said.

UUXn

posted September 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm

14/15
But then I am a hell-bound liberal intellectual!

Daniel

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm

13/15 BUT I thought the sabbath question was friday but went ahead and picked saturday. I was just not sure on the Pakistan religion one, so I picked Hindu, thinking it might be a trick…

Daniel

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Guess it didn’t like my fake html tags. Try *excuse* after the BUT and */excuse* at the end.

Jenn

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

15 out of 15 but that from the Northern side of the border, so unfortunately it’s not going to help out that ridiculously low 50%.

I wonder if the lack of knowledge comes from an inability to accept another person’s faith without only seeing them as “the enemy” or a conversion, rather than understanding the significance of the high holy days (happening now for Jews) or halal eating practices or that the teachings in the Dhammapada (Buddhist teaching) are very similar to Christ’s. I know what I believe in, but I also believe to have a genuine friendship with someone of the opposite faith you need to know why they don’t eat pork or beef or any other dietary practice, why they fast one day or a whole month and so on.

Dave Pettengill

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Whoo hoo! 15 out of 15! But I am a minister of youth and young adults so I should know about these things or I should be doing some more reading and a little less Sportscenter.

Amanda Mae

posted September 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

15/15. I was surprised at how easy the questions were considering the amount of Americans who couldn’t answer them. I don’t consider myself particularly intelligent in matters of religion, and there were a couple I wasn’t sure about, but I would think that most people would be able to answer 2/3 of the questions or so.

Roscoe

posted September 28, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of a Saddleback picture being included on this post?

ro

posted September 29, 2010 at 12:16 am

12/15, but not an American here. Supreme Court, Schmupreme Court.

Dianna

posted September 29, 2010 at 1:58 am

“Better is one day being a dumbass in the presence of the Lord than like a hundred billion million as a smart atheist.” I laughed out loud. Good thing I’m alone.

I took the quiz earlier and scored 100%, but to be fair, I’d read an article about the survey a couple of days ago, and so can’t objectively say that I would have known some of the answers for sure had I not read the article.

And the wording on some of the questions was a little misleading. For example, the Joseph Smith one was poorly worded, as it has no clear timeline – “What religion was he?” makes me think “before or after he invented Mormonism?” Clearly, “Mormon” is the answer they wanted, but it’s a poorly worded question for those who overthink things (eg, me).

As a person of higher education who has been told time and again that liberal professors in college have addled my brain, I sort of look at this result and go “HAH. See where your anti-intellectualism gets you?!”

Joel

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:09 am

I paused on that question, too… “You mean, before or after?”

Jason

posted September 29, 2010 at 2:28 am

Took this quiz, got a 100%, and left my Bible and history books closed the whole time. (But I did get some help from my wife on the nirvana question)

rainbowsoffaith

posted September 29, 2010 at 6:42 am

I took the quiz and missed one due to thinking it was a duplicate question. Rereading 8t I would have gotten 100%. I found this quiz pretty pathetic. It also shows that a lot bof Christians don’t know basics about other faiths which is sad. The questions weren’t hugely theological, but very basic. So the pic at the top is of Saddleback church? I just can’t get on the bandwagon about mega churches.

grace

posted September 29, 2010 at 6:44 am

93% I’m pretty happy with that score. I can see why in general just about anyone could struggle with that quiz.

Carole Turner

posted September 29, 2010 at 6:58 am

amen. Stephen Colbert would be proud of ths post. You could have written this for his show it’s satire is so good :-)

Joachim Elsander

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:02 am

As a swede I am proud to tell you that i scored 100%.

JB

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:07 am

15/15 That makes me Jewish, agnostic or an athiest (of which I’ve often been accused of being all of the above–by Christians of course).

Shane Craver

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:09 am

I am glad to see that this article got somebody’s blood boiling like mine. I do not care about who the lama is I only care how my Father in heaven sees me and making sure my relationship with him is stronger than ever. I guess they were trying to say that we should be encourage to know other religious believes. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

steph

posted September 29, 2010 at 11:28 am

Somebody should have told Paul. I mean, what the heck was that guy thinking, walking around Athens, using their unknown god as a basis to proclaim Christ to them? That guy should have been focusing on his own relationship with the Father instead.

Brent Lacy

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:10 am

100% and I’m one of those “dumb white protestants”…

sharideth

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:31 am

13 of 15 (on half a cup of coffee)

part of me wanted to make allowance for the fact that most people claiming to be christian, don’t actually practice any kind of faith at all so that would skew the results. but the reality is, many of my bros in christ that show up every sunday just don’t bother to learn. i think it probably has to do with what MPT hit on so cleverly, we’re under grace therefore everything else is not important. which is true. sort of. the bible says to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves (or like churchill said, “walk softly, carry a big stick”) but unfortunately, many christians have a serious case of educational tunnel vision.

David

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:31 am

It was interesting in terms of knowledge about religions. They didn’t ask how one gets to Heaven, and no questions about Jesus – like was he a man, a prophet, or God? Nothing about 72 virgins, Abraham, the death penalty or abortion.

All of a sudden I am not so proud of my 100%.

Silica

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:34 am

13/15…one I just didn’t know the names (haven’t studied the Great Awakening since 11th grade), and I think I could make a compelling argument for why the answer I chose for the other could be considered correct (nirvana is a concept in both Hinduism and Buddhism – they are a little different, but the definition described in the question could fit either; I picked Hinduism because their religion is older).

But most of this I learned in social studies. In public high school. Not with a deviant teacher trying to convert us all to one thing or the other; but as part of our global history curriculum. Of course, I’ve taught in several different high schools and only one taught a non-American history class as anything other than an elective (but it was mostly focused on eating food from other cultures.)

I’m not surprised, but I can just see some of my athiest or agnostic acquaintances using this to “joke”: Oh, I’m smarter than you!… Let there be no doubt that stupidity and ignorance are rampant problems among most of the population. ;)

Aaron Reddin

posted September 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

The fact that you chose a pic of Rick immediately moves this post into super-superstar status.

Ashley Blair

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:06 am

100% What Christians were they polling??

Diane

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:25 am

I saw a shorter version of that question. Got all but 2 right. One was about the Great Awakening (I mix those old guys up) and the other was about Pakistan. Who cares what’s goin’ on in the other side of the world?

Nobody asked me about my religion. Maybe they assumed I was an athiest just b/c I found the link on Facebook even though my facebook profile says I’m a Christian. But it also says I’m a political moderate.

So there!

ttm

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:34 am

100% here too. I guess your blog attracts intelligent people (or good test takers), MPT.

Joe Crenshaw

posted September 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

1. I got a 14/15 93%

2. How come they didn’ poll Muslims?

3. Where did PEW get the sampling from? I have never asked nor known anyone asked to be a part of this research.

3. Black Protestants and Hispanic Catholics scored the lowest, same as on other standardize tests, was the test culturally biased? I am black, I am sure we would have done better if they had included questions about GOD making us rich and giving us an easy life.

4. Hey MPT, you can’t insult folks from Alabama while living in Hypocriteville, TN!!!

5. I love all the shots at Christians in this thread, I know some of it is humor, some of it is malicious . . I understand this is a humor and satire website but I of the conservative Christians I know, they all would have aced that test.

I guess PEW is scared of asking folks who know because it won’t help promote their anti Christian agenda.

I understand why the world hates CHRISTIANS and understand why Christians hate Christians, but I don’t understand why folks give biased reporting sources any form of legit credit.

I guess I can trust in the KKK’s statistics on blacks!!!

Again, why didn’t they poll Muslims??? Or maybe they did and don’t want to release the information.

Come on PEW . . spit it out . .

Also, Harry Potter is good for the younglings . .

Tina

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:10 am

I love your blog…have been a reader for a long time…I looked and looked for this quiz yesterday…I’m glad you posted it. Thanks!

Jesse

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

We live in a country where loads and loads of people can’t identify, for instance, the sitting vice president, which century the Civil War occurred in, etc., etc. It’s hardly shocking that we don’t know the majority religion of Pakistan. Having looked at those questions, the 20.9 correct answers is not a whole lot more impressive than 15 or 16.

For the record, I took the quiz and got 1/15 correct – the one about Johnathan Edwards, which is all I need to know!

DYMongoose

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

The sabbath day question tricked me. I knew it starts on Friday at sundown, but on the Jewish calendar that marks the beginning of Saturday, does it not?

*shrug*

14/15 is fine with me.

Also, fantastic satire. Don’t let this get into the hands of the wrong people. You know, the kind who don’t understand the concept of satire and think you’re serious – and most likely will agree.

DYMongoose

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

Oh yeah, thanks for calling out Alabama instead of Mississippi for once. It’s nice to have a break :P

steph

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:52 am

OK, that 15-question quiz you linked? That was EASY, even I got 100% without guessing on any of them (although one answer I only knew from watching Slum Dog Millionaire. ha.) However, I am not at all surprised that American “Christians” are religiously stupid with so many being Christian in name only while practicing something closer to self-worship.

dubdynomite

posted September 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

I got 15 of 15.

I live in Alabama.

:p

Matthew Paul Turner

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

Luck. Complete luck. :)

Aaron C.

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

15/15! I’z smartt!

Noelle

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

Well now all your critics have proof you’re an atheist Matthew. 15!

I am so ashamed I only got 13. I totally knew the 2 I got wrong too, just wasn’t thinking straight.

Roger

posted September 29, 2010 at 11:53 am

15/15! And I was born and raised in Alabama. But I now live in Michigan, am an Episcopalian, and have a Canadian priest. (Oh, yeah, seminary was in there somenwhere.)

Revyloution

posted September 29, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I never realized that ‘Canadian’ was a religion.

That explains quite a bit about my wife….

Whitecat

posted September 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm

13/15 Not bad. Can’t believe I missed the sabbath one though and I must admit that yeah I half guessed on the last one.

It would be interesting to see how JNNPR readers scored overall. Kinda says something about the people here.

@RockingReverend

posted September 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Scored 15/15, but honestly, I guessed on the last question. I knew the rest of them, but I had two guys in mind for the last one and I just happened to guess the right one.

Pingback: A lighter take on Pew’s study. « hoping for redemption

RobM

posted September 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I got 14 out of 15. The one I missed I should’ve gotten right (Buddhism), but I did get the one right on Hinduism that was kind of an educated guess, so it evened out. I wish I could get the whole survey. I don’t know how people can be so disconnected from their faith.

Iain

posted September 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I’m not very surprised at all to hear these results. Taking the test is even more instructive and it provides an analysis of % of people answering each question correctly.

When you consider that 17% of adult Americans believe that the earth revolves around the sun ONCE A DAY and that 18% of Americans in a recent Gallup Poll believe that the sun revolves around the earth, we can basically place the bottom fifth of the population in the “totally ignorant of science or general facts” bucket.

So the questions that came close to the line of ignorance in this religion test were about Catholicism, Hinduism, the Book of Job, the legal status of the Bible in secular settings, The Great Awakening, and Buddhism.

In fact, if you consider that there were three options that means chance rate is 33%, meaning that an entire third of the questions in the test were only answered correctly at near or below the rate of pure guess-work.

BTW, I scored 100%, meaning that demographically according to the poll I’m Jewish or Atheist/Agnostic, attend Church frequently, male, and post-graduate educated. Very close :)

ShariCakes

posted September 30, 2010 at 4:56 am

12/15 but then I forgot totally (duh) that Mother Theresa was Catholic. I found it funny that I didn’t score on #14 I studies Eastern Religions in college :-( But then again Buddhism was an offshoot of Hinduism…so it was confusing. I guessed on 16 :-(. I’m from PA.

Sbux Josh

posted September 30, 2010 at 5:54 am

15 out of 15. Although I knew all of these when I was a christian. wait a min.. maybe thats why I’m not anymore? I knew too much!

Mark

posted October 1, 2010 at 11:52 am

Education is to a fundamentalist is what Kryptonite is to Superman

Will

posted October 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

White Catholic, 14/15, and the only one I got wrong seemed more like an American History question dealing with a Supreme Court ruling to me. I’m not really an American History buff, I majored in Biochem in college, so I guessed on the other as well.

Hmmm, maybe it’s not the faith or religion itself that promotes lack of education? Maybe it’s more of a cultural thing? I just read in a study dealing with lack of education in America that Hispanics were the least educated in America, regardless of faith. That seems to reflect this quiz’s results, coincidentally.

It also states that women did worse than men, on average. So does that mean women are less intelligent, or less educated rather, than men? I’m curious if gender plays a role in this too, because looking at the results, it seems it does. Now THAT’S satire! ;) ha..ha..ha

Pingback: Why Surveys and Polls about Religion, Theism, and Atheism are Useless « The Musings of Thomas Verenna

Jeremy

posted October 22, 2010 at 7:17 am

I love the fact that christians call everyone else besides themselves stupid or ignorant in some way. That’s the way you like to label someone who thinks differently. Einstein thought WAYYYYY differently than most people…but most of what he said makes sense… (OH…and he was an Atheist…) You guys are delusional. I just read a magazine that was 2 days old. I didn’t believe some of it, and yet some of it was good information. It was written, interpreted, if you will, by a journalist. Just an opinion… just another person… (Oh…wait… in order for text to be written… it has to be written by somebody… (at least I have never heard of books/writings to magically appear). In order for text to be true, it’s veracity must be JUDGED by the people who read it.) I read that magazine, and because some of it made sense to me, I believed that information to be true. The difference between that magazine and your bible? About 1980 years, 10 months and 20 days, and probably more truth in the magazine… Time to upgrade your information people…the world isn’t flat anymore, the stars and moon came before the earth, and (most) people are smarter than that nowadays… Most people…

Pingback: “Stupid is as Stupid Does” | The Progressive Christian Alliance

Mike

posted March 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

100%… can’t believe only 1% get that…. these were easy questions also, there are much more

Aquaria TX

posted April 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm

***“I genuinely believe that people who promote hatred, bigotry, and all that other crap the far right believes, are doing exactly what the bible tells them to.”

Please give examples; it’s a lot of text to have to guess at which parts you are interpreting this way. For now, suffice it to say that I disagree with your interpretation and/or characterization of what Scripture says.***

Unfuckingbelievable.

How about all the people enslaved, for not being the same faith?

And let’s ask the Amalekites about hatred in the Bible.

The Moabites

The Edomites

The Canaanites.

The Midianites

The Aradies

The Amorites

The Ammonites

All the people that Joshua put to the sword–must have been thousands upon thousands of them.

The children who called Elijah ‘baldie’

The first-born of Egypt, even the babies

All the people who were living on the earth at the time of the supposed flood.

And more!

Oh–wait. You can’t ask them. They were all murdered, by your scumbag deity or his followers–in that dirtbag’s name.

And how about this little gem from Deuteronomy 32:

41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
43 Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.

What color is the sky in your world, dear, not to call that pure, unadulterated, blood-lust hatred?

I knew you christers were stupid when it came to what’s actually in your big book of bad ideas, but I didn’t know you were that stupid.

Chasmc

posted May 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

If I were to take this article seriously, (I don’t and I don’t believe Matthew does either) it would do nothing but bolster the concept of ignorance among the believers. Wouldn’t it be better to take the numbers as they are and try to find out why this is true. Just a thought.