Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

This is pro-life? Really?!

SOURCE: A “pro-life” group in Arkansas is celebrating (they sent out a press release!) the closing of The Fayetteville Women’s Clinic, one of only two places in Arkansas that perform abortions. According o the press release, the group says…

“This will be the sixth abortion center at a location where 40 Days for Life’s peaceful prayer vigils have been conducted to go out of business,” said Shawn Carney, 40 Days for Life campaign director. “It is truly an answer to prayer that abortions will no longer be carried out at this facility. All the glory belongs to God.” […]

“How humbling will it be,” asked Carney, “to see God use the simplicity of prayer, fasting, outreach, and vigil to bring an end to abortion in many more areas, just like Fayetteville?”

“We rejoice over the babies that will be saved and the parents who will be spared from a lifetime of regret,” said Juliet Cassell, Fayetteville coordinator for 40 Days for Life, upon learning of the facility’s closure.”

The real reason the clinic is closing is because the doctor has leukemia. He’s expected to make a full recovery and reopen the clinic as soon as he can.

Still, the “pro-life” group claims responsibility (like Al-Qaeda!!). According to the press release…

“We have no doubt that the hundreds of volunteers who faithfully prayed outside that facility, as well as the dozens of pro-life counselors who lovingly offered alternatives to potential abortion customers, had an impact on the business of the Fayetteville Women’s Clinic — and this facility’s announced closure is certainly an answer to prayers.

Dr. Harrison and I have communicated on many occasions by e-mail over the last several years, and he knows that the local Fayetteville 40 Days for Life volunteers regularly pray for him and wish him no harm.”

They pray for him. That’s nice. I wonder if they say nice things to God about him. Are they taking credit for his cancer, too? Or just the closing.

And I suppose by “no harm,” they mean we’re going to celebrate your unfortunate circumstances…

Yeah, that’s definitely “pro life.”

Praise Jesus.

Found at Christian Nightmares.

Riggs

posted August 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That’s a tough one. How do you know that’s now how God answered their prayer?

Rachel

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I think the issue isn’t that the clinic is (temporarily?) closing, but that the response is less than respectful to the doctor who has leukemia. If Christians continue to display this kind of carelessness regarding the health of those they disagree with, what are outsiders going to think about Christians “loving their enemies?” God’s will and glory can be seen in all circumstances, no matter how obscure it may seem, and in many ways this may have been an answer to prayer, but rubbing it in doesn’t work. We want non-believers to know that we honestly care about them and their future, even in such controversial issues as this. We do not want them to see us triumphing in a “victory” at the expense of the life or health of this doctor, a beautiful creation of God just like the rest of us.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Because his ways are supposed to be perfect, and if they’re perfect, then he doesn’t give people cancer.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm

To quote one of my favorite movies: “I do not think that word means what you think it means.”

Matthew Paul Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Right. Because people can do, say, and promote anything in the name of a God who is imperfectly perfect.

Jesus didn’t sin. Giving somebody cancer is sin.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Just like giving someone say…leprosy? (see also II Kings 5:27)

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Of coures that was Old Testament God who wasn’t very nice. What about…making someone blind? Acts 13:11.

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

These are the same “pro-life” people who have a front row seat every time Arkansas excutes someone. It makes you wonder whether they REALLY value life, or have a whole ‘nother agenda.

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Big difference in sending folks to ultimate justice who butchered folks lives, than someone who terminates innocent lives in the name of “they aren’t really human yet.”

Big difference.

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Sorry, but there’s no difference at all. You’re either “pro-life” or you’re not.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m so pro-life and I hold life to be so precious that I believe that the greatest punishment possible should be exacted on those who take an innocent life as retributive justice for the life taken and as a example to others who would do the same. That punishment is the death penalty.

I find that to be a perfectly consistent position. (It’s also way far afield from the OP so I’ll say no more about it)

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Riggs: Don’t know about you, but MY God doesn’t give people diseases.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Ever read the Old Testament? God does lots of stuff that isn’t very nice.

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

What’s this old testament that you speak of? Is that the part of the bible that has all the stuff about holiness, righteousness and justice in it? Don’t you know that hurts peoples feelings? (sarcasm).

RobM

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Best quick summary of those parts of the OT I’ve heard/read is from NT Wright that says a God determined to work with & through humanity is going to come across as messy when the people & times are as messed up as they were in OT times. Also goes well w/ the story of redemption through ultimate sacrifice of the One called to vocationally fulfill the promise of Israel.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I would opine that we’re still pretty messed up. And that God’s work is still going to be pretty messy from time to time.

Sbux Josh

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

How can you say that? Didn’t YOUR God create disease? Viruses That use us as their own genitalia? Bacteria that use us as a food source? Oh well I guess I am assuming you meant the God of the Bible. Maybe you meant Poseidon.

RobM

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I’m not convinced God created disease, viruses, bacteria or death. At least not the Christian or Jewish God (if you differentiate them).

Pingback: Tweets that mention This is pro-life? Really?! | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

Jessica

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Your response comes off a little harsh dude. They gave credit to God at the very beginning. I’m pretty sure “no harm” means exactly that. They WEREN’T praying for some kind of awful thing to happen just so they could get their way. But it’s biblical to pray for judgment. We shouldn’t judge. But God sure as heck can. But He’s merciful too. Maybe the doc will come to God through all this and it’ll all be a win/win. Normally I enjoy the satire and mockery here. But this just seemed flat out judgmental and angsty.

Rhonda

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm

i agree

Julia

posted August 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm

“Normally I enjoy the satire and mockery here. But this just seemed flat out judgmental and angsty.” Exactly what I wanted to say as well…thank you. I totally agree.

Chris

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

So how many babies will these pro life people adopt? Or help raise? Or provide emotional or financial support to young mothers and their babies financially, emotionally, physically? Or does pro life end once you stop someone from having an abortion?

MainlineMom

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Exactly the reason I’m pushing for adoption, and if I have my way I will adopt as many as I can.

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:33 pm

It would be interesting to see the stats. My guess would be none. I once heard a pastor say that if just ONE couple in every church in the world adopted a child, there would be no need for orphanages. Food for thought….

Emily M.

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Agreed. This issue is a lot more nuanced than we give it credit for. It’s not just closing the adoption centers. People forget that for every one of those saved babies, there are thousands of dollars spent to keep them alive.

If the church is to get rid of abortion, we’re going to have to do more than just protest abortion centers. We’re going to have to get involved in the lives of the people who have them. We’re going to have to be the hands and feet of Christ.

But then again, I’m just a 17 year old, what do I know?

Carole Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I think praying for an abortion clinic to close is good. I actually did that for years in the late 80s early 90s. I was arrested several times for hand cuffing myself to doors and blocking entry ways. I never screamed at a girl, I prayed and when I had a chance I talked to them rationally and never condemned them. We also had several adoption ready people who talked to the girls a out that option. But mostly we prayed.

I think the words of the pro lifers public statement was kind and I think having a dialoge with the doctor is a great thing and not common.

Maybe God will use the doctors illness to speak to him about the value of life. I am sure that’s what the pro lifers are praying for.

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm

@CaroleTurner

Awesome post . .

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I think gloating over a doctor getting a disease and attributing it to “God” is bad. I think bombing and terrorizing clinics, the people who work there and the women to use them is also bad. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence) And don’t forget the fanatics like Scott Roeder who walked into a church and blew a doctor’s brains out at point blank range in the name of “God.” These folks give Christians a bad name.

MainlineMom

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Great response, Carole.

Rhonda

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

very nice~!

Leanne

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Mercy triumphs over judgment according to Scripture. I do not believe God gives diseases as punishment. Jesus answers this question when those around him ask who has sinned to cause this person to be blind. It is a broken world. God is the restorer and healer, not the breaker.
Secondly, we need to be careful when we celebrate “answers to prayers.” To the world, celebrating when someone has cancer is a little rude.
Thirdly, do we really think this clinic has not referred those who were suppose to come to it for abortion to other clinics who perform abortions?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Rhonda… it’s the implication. If the guy didn’t have cancer it wouldn’t be closing. You don’t send out a press release celebrating its closing when the reason is cancer. You can YOU me all you want. But decent people don’t do that.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I actually agree with this. If someone is going to say they know the reason why an abortion doctor got cancer then they’ll also have to come up with a reason that the Christian grandma, or the three-year-old child did too.

We don’t know. We shouldn’t presume to act like we know. And we definitely shouldn’t put our speculations in a press release.

Sbux Josh

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I couldn’t agree more.

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Sorry for my earlier “old testament” sarcastic comment. It was out of line.

I do think that both sides on the abortion issue need to calm down. I know many christian women who have had abortions, while being christians! GOD has had mercy on them, mercy they didn’t have on the children being formed in their wombs.

We should have mercy, compassion, understanding and support.

Standing on the corner showing pictures of aborted fetuses isn’t going to help and doesn’t. Also, using abortion as birth control and calling it a “choice” and “personal issue” doesn’t help either.

I think abortion is barbaric, but it should remain legal. All of us against abortion shouldn’t have one and should encourage alternative means not only in word but in deed.

To that point, I know many conservative christians who have adopted children, so don’t speak to freely about anti abortion folks using only words not deeds.

In the end, we have more pressing issues. I think abortion and gay marriage are probably the biggest waste of focus and hot air in our society.

Give gays their rights as well as polygamists. GOD will judge homosexuals, it’s up for us to show them CHRIST in compassion and patience and truth.

If you don’t want abortion(s) don’t have any. Don’t encourage people to get any.

Live your life, there are greater evils afoot for us to battle.

Darrell

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Honest question,Joseph what do you consider to be a “greater evil”?

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm

@Darrell

Greater evils than homosexuality and fetal termination.

Hmm in a sense all evil is equal as it says in Romans, “The Wages of SIN is death, but the gift of GOD is eternal life through CHRIST JEUS our LORD”

But in the world sense of impact and reaction, there are greater evils:

1. Political corruption– The bane of all mankinds social problems, those with power abusing it and creating every major evil from war and genocide to poverty and disease amongst all humanity. The one thing we should focus on.

2. Drug use and abuse– We have almost 2 million folks in the slammer and about another 2 to 4 million that need to be in the slammer. We need to re-think the “drug war” the violence around it has to be curtailed. You have folks getting decapitated and having their corpses tossed in town squares.

Mankind needs to get over this.

3. DISEASE– Folks need to stop eating crap and that will cut down on diabetes, and we need to focus on cures for diseases.

4. POVERTY– Gotta provide opportunity to some, gotta change the mentality of others.

5. EDUCATION– We gotta get smarter as people, and we have to have a free flow of ideas, no more violence because of intolerance.

6. The Broken Black family– being black in America, we need to fix our family situation. We need to stop blaming white folks, stop blaming “the system” and need to get our acts together. We dominate every negative social statistic and that is unacceptable and we are too blame in this day and age.

7. American Identity– This nation will fall unless we remember the freedom and ideals that made it great and if we are willing to sacrifice for those freedoms.

We need to be the people of the civil rights movement and the people who bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki again, we need to be Americans again.

MainlineMom

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Gotta disagree wholeheartedly here. These people did not pray for his cancer, and they aren’t celebrating his cancer. They aren’t even claiming responsibility for the cancer…they are celebrating the closing of a death clinic. They prayed for its closing and it did, and I believe that should be celebrated. Hopefully one less baby will lose his/her life unjustly. I will and I hope they will pray for the healing of the doctor, body AND soul, while continuing to pray that the clinic stays closed.

It’s one thing to legislate morality. It’s quite another to pass laws that protect innocent lives.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I don’t think they prayed for his cancer. But they are rejoicing in a “win” that isn’t exactly their “win.” And by chance that it is their win, it’s not something to celebrate. Or at least not publicly.

Mark

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Amen, mpt.

Joseph Crenshaw

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm

@MPT and @HotMom,

I agree MPT, folks don’t need to celebrate people getting cancer AT ALL, that’s just foul.

KatR

posted August 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I can even pretend to be shocked by stuff like this any more. It’s like pro-lifers think people become LESS human after they exit the womb.

“We are praying for you and we mean you no harm, but we are praising our just and merciful God for giving you cancer. High five!”

KatR

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What part of my comment was about “giving people freebies all their lives?”

And how do conservatives teach people to take care of themselves?

Michael Dise

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Have to disagree with Paul Turner this time. An abortionist’s leukemia is still better than dead babies. I wouldn’t call that hate or bigotry.

ReleventISHpastor

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm

there is a lot of wisdom in that response, however, The truth is these people believe innocent children are being murdered there, and they prayed it would end and it did.

They don’t wish harm on the doctor, and I am sure that his sickness isn’t the only reason for the closing, given the groups remarks it would seem they did have an impact here.

Leanne

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm

What makes one life more valuable than another? I just do not see it in Scripture where Christ would applaud the sickness one over others. Until Christians respect and cherish all lives, not just the unborn, we are not proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus says love your enemies—not so sure seeing an abortionist’s leukemia being better than dead babies is cherishing all life.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm

And Rhonda, this was a respectful conversation until your comments showed up.

Leanne

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I really doubt any babies have been saved because the clinic has temporarily closed. The people looking for abortion have been given the name and number of other doctors who will perform abortions.
I am not sure this discussion requires this much emotion. I applaud your love for unborn life. But respect for all life, including those posting here might also be in order.

KatR

posted August 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

In the Old Testament, God would tell the Israelites about to go to war to kill every living person, including children, babies and I would assume pregnant women.

So when did God decide that all life was sacred?

Leanne

posted August 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm

The Old Testament stands on its own but as Christians we need to interpret and apply the OT in light of Christ. Christ died for all and commanded us to love. According to the New Testament, mercy triumphs over justice. According to Christ, his Kingdom is not coming the way earthly kingdoms have come but by peace and love. We are called to love our enemies, bless them with what they need (heaping coal–it was how neighbors helped neighbors keep warm in those days). We are to be peacemakers. To say that God does not cherish life is to decide the Cross meant nothing.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!

posted 10:19:20am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

A Baptist mom meets the Black Eyed Peas…

posted 11:21:43am Dec. 30, 2011 | read full post »

Pat Robertson blasts SNL over Jesus, Tebow skit!

posted 9:16:03am Dec. 22, 2011 | read full post »