Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

For All You Anne Rice Haters Out There: A STATUS UPDATE!

Regarding today’s earlier post, here’s another update from Ms. Anne Rice…

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn’t understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.” -Anne Rice

Yeah, I think at least a couple of you owe Ms. Rice an apology for acting like Christians that Anne doesn’t want to follow.

Frankly, after reading a few of your comments, I’ve decided that I don’t want to follow some of you either.

:) Love you. All of you. (Mostly all of you.)

I’m human.

Stormie

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Hahahahaha. I’ve been following this little incident also. Your closing pretty much summed up my feelings as well. Gotta love all of us humans, right?! :)

Brookie

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm

She makes a very good point. However, I think that she could have made that first status update in a more tactful way.
Having said that, there are many things that I could have done in a tactful way. So I can’t judge her. I’m just as, if not more, sinful and imperfect. And I have no idea what it’s like to have a huge audience reading my status updates. I have no idea what it’s like to be Anne.
So I’ll shut my mouth and pray for her just as I pray for myself, “Lord, please shine through me”.

Jonathan Elliot

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:10 am

I’m gonna agree with Brookie, but just leave it at “She makes a very good point.”

Thanks Matthew :)

Connie

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm

LOL, MPT. (Reminds me of a button I saw once, “Jesus loves you, and I’m trying.” ;) )

Considered saying this in the other thread but will here. The word “christian” was first used in the Bible, and it means “Christ-one.” So really, you can’t say “I’m a Christ-one but I’m no longer a Christian.” Just sayin’.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I think I’ve seen that button. And lived that button. And probably defined that button more than a few times.

Connie

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I think we all define it….hence our humanness and everything Ms. Rice wants to un-follow.

KatR

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I don’t get that sense from her at all. I think she just wants to stand with the oppressed instead of being told that she should hate them in the name of God.

mark

posted August 17, 2010 at 5:20 am

‘just saying’? – what exactly? – no logical or reasoned conclusion there… hey, i’m trying here.

Ms. Random

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Hmmmmm… that is really interesting. When exactly did she experience salvation? And trust me, there are plenty of “Christians” I don’t want to follow either. LoL

KatR

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

How does one “experience salvation?”

Noelle

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Ur following me? K. But I’ll warn you I’m mostly boring. And sometimes I break too fast while driving, so observe a 2 car gap.

Leanne

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:06 pm

“following Christ does not mean following his followers”—amen! but it does mean learning how to love them with all their flaws and rough edges which to me means I must stay in relationship with them as much as I want to run from them.
How do we stay in relationship but not succumb to the condemnation and legalism and drama which comes from being in relationship with people? I would love to know cuz I am tired too…

Bobby

posted July 30, 2010 at 7:10 am

I do NOT have to “stay in relationship with them” to love them. Sometimes the best way to love somebody is to stay AWAY from them. Tough love works well sometimes. There are many people I love, but really don’t like being around them. That doesn’t change the fact that I love them. You really need to stop with all the christianeze…I think THAT’S one of the reasons Anne made those statements.

Jon

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Sigh. I hate to take a stand on this, but if she really wants to follow Christ and obey his teachings, she needs to understand that that means being a part of the church, and not just having some sort of individualistic “me and Jesus” relationship.

KatR

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

No matter what the church does?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Jon, I’m sure she has a few “Christian” friends.

But you don’t need “church” to have Christian community. And sometimes “Christian community” is an oxymoron.

Rocco

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:24 am

Define ‘church’.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:51 am

church with a small c usually implies “building” or “worship experience” happening on Sunday.

“Church with a big C usually implies the idea of “God’s people”

Matthew Paul Turner

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:52 am

“Church with a big C usually implies the idea of “God’s people”

Bobby

posted July 30, 2010 at 7:10 am

Baloney

mark

posted August 17, 2010 at 5:28 am

Jon – where did that come from? – I would think that the ‘me and Jesus’ relationship is the whole point. Personal belief rather than going along with the crowd sort of thing, yes?…. are you saying that someone alone on a desert island with no ‘Church’ – cant be a Christian? – what Church did Jesus belong to?

Jon

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Jon

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Matt, I never said she didn’t.

And the church, SHOULD be the Christian community. Do you need the church to have Christian community? Probably not. But being part of the “family of God” is far more than just accepting Christ as your savior.

I really don’t want to start an argument over this. Ann Rice is a fantastic author and I’m glad she’s following her conscience. It’s just my personal opinion that following Christ also means belonging to the Church.

(And yes, I’m converting to Catholicism, which would probably explain why I hold this opinion).

Matthew Paul Turner

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Interesting.

Anne Rice is Catholic, too.

KatR

posted July 30, 2010 at 5:43 am

Ah, well, that does explain your opinion that you have to stay with the church no matter what they do.

Jon

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Was. =P

Pingback: Tweets that mention For All You Anne Rice Haters Out There: A STATUS UPDATE!!!!! | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

Diane

posted July 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I AM NOT a hater and never have been. I simply said there are other churches that are closer to her belief system and I hope she finds one.

Charlie H.

posted July 29, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I’d for sure disagree that you need to be apart of a formal, organized, registered non-profit church with a name to be apart of the “church.” I’d even venture to say that in many ways being freed of all the obligations of a formal church would allow her the opportunity to be more spontaneous Christ-like, so that its actually coming from the heart.

Though certainly many people need the formal church thing or they’d be no different than a stoner on a couch. So let’s trust that Anne is not the latter and that she’s going into this chock full of intention.

Audrey

posted July 30, 2010 at 12:16 am

Perhaps some might consider jumping ship when one doesn’t like the boat a noble thing to do. No offense to those who sympathize with Rice, but I find her logic inconsistent. It’s all very well to preach “personal relationship” by posting verses about praying in secret, but in my opinion, announcing to your thousands upon thousands of followers that (I unabashedly paraphrase her here) the Church is a piece of crap doesn’t line up with that stance at all.

If she hates the boat, then getting out is logical.

But Christ didn’t walk alone, so I think she should get over herself.

mark

posted August 17, 2010 at 5:37 am

Audrey – it seems to me that Chirst SO walked alone – alone with his relationship to god which is what we ‘admire’ him for – he walked with God, yes, and encouraged us to do the same.
    – and yes – what is all this about ‘inconsistant logic’? – when was faith ever logical?

Pete

posted July 30, 2010 at 2:44 am

Audrey, don’t bring logic into this argument ;)

Matthew, I’ll bite. After reading through all the comments on the initial post, I’m finding it hard to identify the ones that are hating and deserve ‘unfollowing’.

sharideth

posted July 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm

“do not forsake the gathering together of the brethren” is not a suggestion, it’s an instruction. however, it is also not a definition of a church building.

i hope she finds some brethren to gather with.

sharideth

posted July 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm

crap. that was suppose to be it’s own comment, not a response to pete…

Pingback: Anne Rice: I Quit Christianity! « Spritzophrenia

Nate

posted July 30, 2010 at 7:57 am

Religion is such a waste of time, good for Ann Rice! Work your own shit out and stop shoving your lifestyle on everyone else. That’s called selfish!

shellie (baylormum)

posted July 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I just love how you bring out the best in people, Matthew!! You quoted Ms Rice. Yes, you threw in a little mpt commentary, but wow! Some of the commenters need to look at other mpt posts and maybe see where he is coming from. Do I “like” everything he posts. No, but I just let those slide because I know there are more fun satirical posts coming that I will LOVE!!

People getting all defensive over wording. And definitions of said words. Kinda like there’s a little pit bull in us all. Some more than others. I’m just sayin’.

JB

posted July 31, 2010 at 10:12 am

I think her comments are brilliant and resonate with thinking people whether Christian or not.