Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Theology Week is predestined before the…

… never mind.Bad joke.

Yes, Theology Week is coming soon. But I’ve decided–well, Jessica actually “helped” me to decide–that moving it to July would be best for my sanity, my book deadline, and our marriage. :)

So… I’m excited about Theology Week. But it’s going to happen sometime in July! Some of you have already handed in blog posts, and don’t worry, I will still be using your content…Thank you for being so enthusiastic about the week and wanting to participate!

But I need your help… answer these two questions.

1) What topics within theology would you like to discuss and read about?

2) Do you have one theological question that you’d like answered by a group of people from varying theological backgrounds?

Also, if you’d like to participate as a writer for Theology Week, email me: MatthewPaulTurner@gmail.com (And no, we don’t have to share the same theology!)

So if Theology Week was predestined, it’s now been re-predestined.

Ronne

posted June 10, 2010 at 8:47 am

Wow. Double pre-destination. I attended a bible study once that started down this road. I ran away – it was destiny.

Adam Whitley

posted June 10, 2010 at 8:48 am

I think the Christian Universalism discussion is VERY interesting. I’d also like to hear about the sovereignty of God.

… and I firmly believe that the Jesus Storybook Bible is the only inspired version of the Bible. Discuss.

Lauren K

posted June 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I agree, I’d love to hear about Christian Universalism.

Buzz

posted June 11, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Mark me as a third who is very interested in a wider active discussion on Christian universalism.

Scott Cervas

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:25 am

Why do good things happen to bad people? :/

Travis Harger

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:32 am

Open theism, well the part that questions if GOD Sees the future because he is outside of time.

And Post Trib theology over the ever popular Pretrib/ dispensationist theories

Leanne

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:34 am

Atonement–Christ’s death for us was punitive, a ransom, substitute–he took our place, divine child abuse?

Joshua

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

On the same line, I would just simply ask, “Why did Jesus ‘have’ to die?”

Jimmy Faseler

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:36 am

I have pondered this question for years now: is it okay to kill zombies, or do we have to turn our cheeks to them as well? I mean, to get technical, they are already dead so it should be okay to kill zombies, right?

Also, demonic possessions vs. mental health and psychological disorders in the Bible. Is it possible that their demonic possessions were episodes of schizophrenia? And visa versa, in today’s times are diagnosed psychological disorders actually issues of demonic things? It would be an interesting discussion, but would require qualified and educated participants, not the run-of-the-mill blogger.

bondChristian

posted June 10, 2010 at 11:54 am

Not to bring on Theology Week early or anything, but…

I’ve heard someone speak on this specifically, and they said the number one test to discern the difference is to ask the person who Jesus is. Demon possessed people KNOW who He is and are right on with their response. So if their response isn’t right on, then it’s highly unlikely that they’re demon possessed.

It’s pretty interesting… something I’ve never worked out in practice, though.

-Marshall Jones Jr.

Happy Geek

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:42 am

Is man totally depraved or is he generally good and predisposed to do bad at some points?

Rocco

posted June 10, 2010 at 10:14 am

This is going to be fun!

jstainer

posted June 10, 2010 at 10:34 am

Oh this could go all sorts of fun directions, I’m looking forward to seeing where it ends up.

I like the dispensationalist/partial-preterist/etc line of discussion.

Young Mom

posted June 10, 2010 at 11:02 am

I grew up fundamentalist, and now as much as I really really want to believe that Christianity is true, I have a hard time believing that it’s actually all real. Why does God make the world in the first place? Why does he make a random list of rules for us to follow? Why live for him?

TomK

posted June 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Good topic, Young Mom. I suggest a discussion on “Did the resurrection happen?” For me, that event proves/disproves all the claims of the Bible.

sleep_run_art

posted June 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Asking ‘Did the resurrection happen?’ is liking asking if a rape or crime was really ever committed. You can only believe those who have given testimony, either take them at their word or shrug them off as attention seeking liars. I’d say a lot goes with events in history, you either need to take a written testimony as it is and just accept it, or leave it alone. I will say that it is getting harder and harder in this modern age where we have video footage, status updates, live feeds, web streaming etc for use to just believe written testimony, we feel everything has to be validated by an immediately available visual source….sorry MPT if I accidentally just started Theology Week early :s

@nicolewick

posted June 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm

THANK GOD!!!! I’ve been running behind and was squeezing it in! An extra week works perfectly for me.

Darrell

posted June 10, 2010 at 7:39 pm

It’s a mid-term election year so let’s have a twofer: religion and politics!

To what degree should our theology influence our politics? How can good people’s morality based on the same book send them in wildly different directions in the voting booth?

Is it worse to vote for a guy who condones your list of sins or mine? Does Jesus care? Would he have voted at all?

sleep_run_art

posted June 10, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Oohh thats a good, I second the discussion of our theology vs politics and the influence our theology should have on it.

Joe Perdue

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I’d like to discuss open theism and the controversy surrounding it.

Matthew

posted June 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I think it would be interesting to examine the Greek Philosophical origins of the faith and think about whether we should still look at Scripture through that lens. I also think a discussion of homosexuality in light of recent biblical scholarship (i.e. historical context of the so called “clobber passages”) would be great!

Silica

posted June 11, 2010 at 7:21 am

I am a newcomer here, but here are two topics that I really find interesting:

1. How different denominations emerged and what the differences are between them – I grew up generic we-have-a-Xmas-tree-in-our-house-and-a-Bible-in-our-closet-somewhere Protestant (technically we were Methodist, but only my father was baptized), but I converted to Catholicism three years ago when I was 20. I attended a lot of different churches to help me find my place and I have a sense of some of the “branches” (I also had this neat book called The Unauthorized Guide to Choosing a Church, which had some good historical and theological information), but it would be interesting to see it from the points of view of people from those denominations. The other reason I bring it up is because I have noticed some throwaway references to Catholicism that are really strange for someone who practices that way, so it might have some educational value as well (especially for me, who does not understand much about the differences between non-Catholic rite churches beyond political rivalries).

2. Some discussion of feminist theology (sometimes called “thealogy”) – theories about God and gender, how much of our sex and gender comes from God’s plan for us or how we may have subverted that (I’ve had the opportunity to read some fascinating “re-interpretations” of the Fall by scholars going back as far as the Middle Ages that challenge Western assumptions about sex and gender and Eve’s role). I was a Women’s Studied major, so I have a lot of interest in this subject for that reason, and again, being Catholic, my Church as a historical institution has had some interesting ideas about gender (one being the veneration of Mary, the other being that women are not allowed to participate as priests…even though growing groups of laypeople want to change that.)

Jonathan Elliot

posted June 24, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Would anyone else be interested in “Should the world influence our theology?”. eg If Scientists say evolution is true, should that influence how we interpret Genesis 1?