Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Christian writer blames Ellen for American Idol’s low ratings

(Some of you may have already seen this, so forgive me if I’m sharing old news. I just read this.)

Anyway, I bet you can’t guess why it’s Ellen’s fault. THREE GUESSES:

A) It’s because she’s a lesbian.

B) It’s because she’s a lesbian.

C) It’s because she’s a lesbian.

or

D) All of the above

DING DING DING! It’s because she’s a lesbian!

So which Christian writer makes this claim?

THIS GUY…

You’re probably thinking… who? Or WHOM?! I thought the same thing. And then I thought: Was that photo taken in 1994 at Glamor Shots? It’s foggy.

Anyway, Gary McCullough is the editor of Christian Newswire, and apparently since January 2010 he has thought that Ellen and her lesbian shenanigans was going to ruin American Idol! I bet you he thought that God was going to send fire and brimstone and then turn Simon into a pillar of salt. (<-Just a guess.)

Gary. Gary. Gary. Really? Did you really have to go there? I mean, we’re talking about Ellen. You don’t mess with Ellen. She’s nicer than you. And not mention much more famous.

And God forbid we just admit that this year’s American Idol sucked because the talent sucked. In fact, the talent has been mediocre since season 4. We just didn’t want to admit it.

But no, Gary had to get all Christiany and write an op-ed piece about how HE THINKS it’s because Ellen is a lesbian.

His feature’s title was…

DeGeneres Hurt American Idol — I Told You So (NANNY NANNY BOO BOO!!!)

JESUS-LOVING GARY WRITES… In January, I wrote,I am confident that the producers of American Idol will be shocked when their market share has cratered, and will in all honesty find a dozen other reasons for the drop in ratings. After all, what successful television producer could have a clue what wholesomeness is as long as they see promoting homosexuality as a virtue.

The talent sucked, Gary. THE TALENT SUCKED! I’ll admit that Ellen wasn’t the greatest judge, but that has nothing to do with her being gay; she just seemed a bit out of her element at times.

Gary goes on to write… DeGeneres’ “Yes, I have loved a woman,” comment from the May 11 show, was the most obvious lesbian-one-liner, but it wasn’t the only one, and it is hurting the show’s ratings. I can hear the bloggers loading their homophobe-blasters (AW, THE HOMOPHOBE IS TALKING ABOUT ME! JUST KIDDING, GAR.), but think this through with me. If one of the judges was an abortion activist, or a political right winger and continued to insert comments in line with their activism, the same criticism would be true, and the show would suffer. The advice, “Shut up and sing!” comes to mind.

Gary concludes his rant with this humdinger… Network television producers may or may not stop promoting homosexuality; but for certain they will learn to keep homosexual activism separate from the cash-cow of “family entertainment.” There is of course the insane possibility that Hollywood will forsake ratings — and the dollars that follow; and continue down the path of change. Perhaps next we will see the pro-pedophilia group NAMBLA use its influence in Hollywood to have Dancing with the Stars seat Roman Polanski as a judge….

WOW. THAT STATEMENT IS LOWER THAN PAT ROBERTSON.

BUT SERIOUSLY, the talent wasn’t that great. I mean, Lee won! LEE… Nice guy. But not an “American Idol.”

If you care to read Gary’s little “hate letter to Ellen,” click here.

Alise

posted June 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm

When I clicked on his bio, I found all I need to know:

Musician . . . toured as guitar player with Up With People.

How can we NOT take his opinion seriously?

Adam Robinson

posted June 3, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I bet this guy secretly has Adam Lambert’s album on his iPod but changed the name to Lincoln Brewster.

Terroni

posted June 3, 2010 at 8:04 pm

He claims families quit watching together because Ellen promotes homosexuality. These same families were, apparently, not at all bothered by the years Paula spent promoting anorexia and polysubstance abuse.

katherine.

posted June 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm

pretty much Writers of all creeds are blaming Ellen for American Idol’s low ratings.

Wait until Simon is replaced.

Dana Ellis

posted June 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I must admit that Ellen didn’t pull AI up the way I thought she would. Her talk show is the only talk show I will watch.. Sure, she’s a lesbian. But, she’s a funny lesbian.

But here’s a point to ruffle some feathers. Why did she not give the (obviously already dying) show the boost I was expecting she would? Um, I think it’s because she’s too nice. I would even go as far to say, she acted too “Christlike” and she just wouldn’t dish out the criticism that America is dying to eat. Wait, what? Did I just call a lesbian Christlike? Well, yes in fact I did. We all fall short of that ideal in some way. But the thing that the Bible talks about being the greatest.. LOVE.. Well, I’m sorry. But, she just seems to have that one down a whole lot better than a lot of us.

Jamie the Very Worst Missionary

posted June 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Ugh.

Doreen

posted June 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

The best part of his op-ed is this part: “Network television has yet to learn what the movie industry has proven with Disney, Pixar, and the like; you cannot ‘pretend’ to produce family oriented entertainment; you actually have to deliver the goods.”

I guess he doesn’t know that the star of one of Pixar’s biggest hits (produced for Disney), Finding Nemo, is none other than ELLEN. HAHAHAHAHA.

kick-ass

posted June 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm

LOL..can’t say I watch American Idol anyway..much prefer Project Runway..and yes, I pick favorites!

TinaC

posted June 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Apparently, Gar-Bear is more interested in being against gays than FOR the values associated with “traditional marriage.” (which, btw are also the values associated with gay marriage… but shhhhh…. we don’t like to make mention of that. marriage isn’t about values anyway, its about complimentary body parts. duh!)

Otherwise, he’d have said something about other judges’ sex lives, divorces & lack o’ marriage. (as well as the shows on FOX that include anti-marriage, anti-family, anti-non-shoot’em up scenes by the bazillions. but, i digress….)

Observe this report in the NYDailyNews:

“I don’t believe in marriage, certainly not in this business,” the 48-year-old told British tabloid The Mirror.
Cowell revealed that the real reason he refuses to wed girlfriend Terri Seymour is he’s afraid she’ll “do a Heather Mills on him” and take him for everything he’s got ($80million+), he said to the paper.

Of course, he woudn’t be having s-e-x w/o being married, right? So, i guess that’s fine.

And, i can’t imagine Jesus blaming the guy for wanting to keep his money safe from a possible future-ex-wife! I’m pretty sure it’s in the Bible that that’s ok. Otherwise, we’d have heard about it from Gary.

Sheesh…. ever notice how JC himself did not marry? Simon is very Christ-like in that way. And Paul-like.

Not Ellen though. She got married.

Pingback: This has my vote for Smackdown of the Week « Dating Jesus

Kyle Reed

posted June 4, 2010 at 7:59 am

So then how does he explain the success of Ellens day time TV show?

Debbie

posted June 4, 2010 at 9:03 am

Wait, what? It’s the Ellen’s homosexuality that’s keeping the “Christians” away from this show? It’s called American IDOL, the idolatry didn’t keep them away in the first place?

Dude, if we were avoiding idol worship, we wouldn’t have even known there was a homosexual on that show. Heh.

Brandon Smith

posted June 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

Say what ya want about the talent (I’ve never been an Idol fan myself, I don’t think I’ve ever watched a full episode), my guess is there might be a pretty good percentage of conservative evangelical families did stop watching because of Ellen.

Rodnesha

posted June 4, 2010 at 10:32 am

Some people just love they taste of their foot!! I’m with you, I haven’t watched American Idol routinely since about Season 3, one and off Season 4 and since then well.. I didn’t care to invest time on, as you called it, mediocrity. I honestly am surprised it’s made it this far with the low-buzz talent it’s churning out. Not to mention that I’ve always contended that the winners of American Idol usually end up being the low end of the totum pole anyway, if I were on the show I’d HOPE I got 2nd place… they seem to fare better anyway (certain exceptions like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jordin Sparks).

Anyway, why do you think they brought Ellen on the show?! – as you said she’s got star-power AND is likeable. Does she know squat about music… eh. But she’s already confessed she’s no Botocelli. Even she couldn’t save the sinking ship that is A.I. give credit where credit is due… American Idol sucks because it’s become more about these 3 things:
* Simon Cowell
* Contestant Controversy
* The First pre-lim episodes of featured idiocy

Diane

posted June 4, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh Gary. Just another symptom of modern society – we’ll watch all sorts of morally dodgy content & justify it to ourselves, until it features, heaven forbid, a GAY!!! The horror.

We’re screwed up, seriously. :-/

For the record, I love Ellen. It’s not her fault that Idol has gone off the boil worldwide long before this season.

Jeff Holton

posted June 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Wait…did you…?

Chris Sligh was season 6, you know.

And he’s probably reading this.

And he’s cool. You know, like, “he coo’,” as in, if you were doing a show and I was your bouncer, I’d let him slip in without paying the cover charge, and you’d be ok with that.

I know, I know… I’m off-subject. I got through this entire comment without once using the word “gay.”

Kathy Pride

posted June 6, 2010 at 5:04 am

We are AI fans. Ellen is nice, I love Jesus, and I didn’t stop watching the show because she is a lesbian. The thought never crossed my mind. I liked Crystal, but the show definitely lagged. Yes, the talent was terrible for the most part.

I would like to recommend a book to Gary: The Jesus Manifesto by Len Sweet and Frank Viola. They have some really great comments on what being a Christian is all about. Hint: Love and Jesus Christ and allowing Him to work through us. I don’t think he would have been on the same page, Gary.

Maisie Marshall

posted June 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

everyone wants to watch americal idol because we love to hear beautiful voices. .:`

Noah Martin

posted July 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Watching American Idol gave me the perspective that ther are really lots of talented people out there.':-