Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Religion Dept. @ Liberty University: Total BS?

Well, at least Liberty recycles. And they recycle everything. Even the BS in religion can be used to effectively serve in ministry! Gosh, it’s like fertilizer.

One thing is for sure; BS can be used to create a solid foundation. I walked into a number of huts in Africa with foundations, floors, walls–all made of BS.

Like? :)

Looks like Liberty’s Religion Department needs a new copywriter.

Dianna

posted May 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

Since when is a degree in Religion NOT a Bachelor of Arts? Unless they’ve suddenly turned the study of religion into a scientific discipline…which would just be weird…

Gavin Richardson

posted May 16, 2010 at 11:40 am

The BS inference is hilarious but yes, when is it not a BA? Not-So Intelligent Design?

Matthew Paul Turner

posted May 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

Hmm. Perhaps everything at Liberty is BS?

Kori

posted May 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm

First – I love love love your blog. I was raised super conservative and much of my faith/viewpoints have changed throughout the years. I defintely can’t defend everything about Liberty and I know nothing about their religion program, but I just got a MA in professional counseling from there and had a great experience overall. I know from peers that my program was much harder and more was required than some of the local programs and I got a solid education. There was some Christian integration but it wasn’t what you may think – for example Nouwen was a required reading. I know you are funny and really enjoy your humor – but I do hate to see generalizations made – and I am probably being defensive but not everything there is bad.

By the way I just got an amazon giftcard for graduation and have “Hear No Evil” and “Churched” on my wishlist ready to order!

Eric Stevens

posted May 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I took Bible classes in college, and we used a grammatical-historical approach to interpreting the meaning of the text. Nevertheless I have a BA in biblical studies, but it was also possible to get a BS. believe it or not, there is a science to interpreting the Bible–just like any other ancient text.

Sydney

posted May 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm

It is ridiculous if the BS has not been justly earned. And dare I say that in most cases with a religion degree, a BS is not justified. It seems as if a committee sat around and said, hmmmm, how can we try to make our religion students more marketable? Oh, I know, I know. We can give them all a BS degree. Yeah, that will help. As an alumnus of LU, I’ll have to say that it’s pretty embarassing…ridiculous.

Darrell

posted May 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Two words: “Ergun Caner”

Denise

posted May 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hilarious! Gotta love my school and all the BS found there! ;)

Diane

posted May 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I was going to get a BA degree by having a minor. But I couldn’t decide on what I was going to minor in. So I went for the BS degree instead. (And no, it’s not in religion.)

Micah Hasty

posted May 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I have BS in Religion, Master Of Arts In Religion and a Master Of Divinity from LU.
The courses were strenuous and required much work. Other than a funny pun on BS not sure there’s much else to talk about here. It’s a great degree, great professors, excellent learning environment which is conservative but actually more balanced than many realize.
Blessings.

Richard McGough

posted May 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Well if your looking for something to talk about, here you go:

Ergun Caner’s Crimes against God and the Global Community

Dianna

posted May 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I am genuinely curious as to how a degree in a subject clearly on the side of the humanities can earn a BS. At the school I just graduated from (Baylor), any religion degree is a BA, no matter minor subject (there were religion graduates who also double-majored in sciences at the grad ceremony yesterday). So please, enlighten me.

Rick G

posted May 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Well…I’m not saying Ergun Caner is a liar or anything…all I’m saying is that Ergun Caner is a liar.

Richard McGough

posted May 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm

They also may want to hire a professional spell-checker for the decorations on their graduation caps:

Live from Liberty U – Colege [sic] Graduates Celebrate!

Philip

posted May 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Lol this made me happy…of course it always makes me happy to see people get so defensive about a joke. I am also an LU alumnus, & a many things @ LU are BS lol, much love MPT!

Jonathan Charlie Chang

posted May 17, 2010 at 10:18 am

It sure is BS.

nicodemusatnite.blogspot.com

jae

posted May 17, 2010 at 6:03 pm

This is right up there with the Christian Ministries major offered at the small Bible University I attended out of high school — the classes were all abbreviated by the university as CMIN 101, CMIN 102, etc (and was officially pronounced as “SEE-min”).

It just never gets old.

Sonny

posted May 23, 2010 at 2:24 am

Speaking of evangelical scandals and Liberty University in the same breath, readers can Google “Appendix F: Thou Shalt Not Steal” (line-by-line proof that THE Jerry Falwell’s 1981 “Fundamentalist Phenomenon” book was a huge plagiarism of George Dollar’s 1973 “History of Fundamentalism in America”!). Also Google “Thomas Ice (Bloopers).” Ice is a prof at LU whose “Ph.D” was “obtained” from a tiny Texas school that was fined by the state of Texas for illegally issuing degrees! When “Dr.” Ice reproduced in 1989 Margaret Macdonald’s short “pre-tribulation rapture” revelation of 1830 (Margaret originated this 180-year-old escapist endtime view which had made millionaires of Lindsey, LaHaye etc.!), he somehow left out 49 words when copying it – the same 49 words LaHaye left out in the same sections when a book of his reproduced it three years later! (LaHaye has been one of LU’s biggest donors.) Ice, BTW, also had the same distinctive copying errors Lindsey had when he had reproduced MM’s revelation in his 1983 book! Since Liberty University is one of the top promoters of the same fringe-British-originated pretrib rapture fantasy, interested readers can also Google “Famous Rapture Watchers,” “Pretrib Rapture Diehards,” “Pretrib Rapture Secrecy,” “Letter from Mrs. Billy Graham,” and “Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty” (documented plagiarism and other dishonesty since 1830 by some of the best known names in evangelicalism) – all uncovered by the author of the bestselling book “The Rapture Plot.” (Evangelicals should take some tranquilizers before reading the above!)