Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

I confess to you my sin of using…

Blogspot. I repent my sin of using Blogspot.

Most bloggers hate blogspot. (To be completely honest, I’m not sure why, since it’s been pretty kind to me) And to be honest, since it’s only been a few days, I still miss it. Just a little.

But because so many bloggers–big and small–poked fun at me for using Blogspot…

I let the peer pressure get to me, and I made the switch to WordPress.

I’m still getting used to it, so be patient with me. Please.

But I hope you like the new JesusNeedsNewPR.net. While it’s not completely finished, I’m pretty darn excited about it.

The WordPress theme I used is Standard Theme, which was developed by the much talented John Saddington (on Twitter, his hand is @Human3rror).This theme is pretty amazing, and even though I’m still getting used to WordPress, the capability of the Standard Theme is pretty astounding.

My blog was designed by the very talented Ben Parker (<-check out his work there and follow him on Twitter here. I especially love his type treatments.) Anyway, Ben took my idea and brought it to life, so I’m very grateful to him.

And I would not have been able to do this without help from Kyle Reed (on Twitter, he’s @KyleLReed)  a friend of mine who not only knows WordPress better than I do, he has a servant’s heart. Kyle has helped me on every step of this transition.

This is a work in progress, but I hope you like what you see so far. More changes to come…

I’ll be leaving the Blogspot as is for a couple weeks until readers get used to the new URL.

If you read my blog by RSS feed, you should be fine because I redirected the feed. But please check and see if yours is working.

So, yeah, more to come… but so far, confession is good for the soul.

Adam Robinson

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

Okay, the new site is very sleek and nice! As a Blogspot user, I must say…Wordpress looks great! I’m just thankful this site isn’t blocked on my work computer.

Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:11 am

I still use Blogspot and think I will for a while longer. But I really like the look of your new site! :)

Wes Howard

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

I like the look A LOT better! Much better.

Anna

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

*clutches pearls in horror*

Go and sin no more, former user of blogspot. ;)

BTW — love the new webpage! Tres chic!

Jevon Bolden

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

Oh, no. I’m even more corny than I thought. I had no idea using blogspot was jokeable. I’ve had my blog there for years. It is possible to transfer previous posts to a new WordPress blog? Like, did you have to leave all your articles behind on blogspot when you transferred to WordPress?

Danny Bixby

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:16 am

We forgive you.

Austin Detwiler

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Here’s the problem: I distinctly remember you getting insulted by some lady because you had ads on your blogspot and, of course, you were exploiting readers and making a fortune off of shitty ads. You, however, were quick to let her know that you didn’t make money from them.

Well, now you’ve got NEW ADS and they probably actually work and make you money. I feel exploited.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:24 am

I wasn’t insulted. She was comparing my making money to Joel Osteen making money… I told her that the Ads on my blog at that time had not made me a dime. And that was true.

Hopefully, these ads will make me at least a dime.

Anna

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

I haven’t quite figured out the anti-blogspot thing, either. I might go with WordPress one of these days, but it’s scary. It looks like you had plenty of help with your big change, which is, well, helpful.

Stuart

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

Nice look – Standard Theme is good, trouble is I’m finding too many of them popping up now :)

To those worried about a transition from blogspot to WP then don’t. WP is super easy to understand, use and manage and yes, you can import ALL your old posts from blogspot to WP.

Welcome to WP dude – looks nice,lean and clean.

lisa fredricks

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:48 am

I had no idea blogspot was bad!! Should I switch??
Wait no, I don’t think my mom or dad or either of my friends care….
Looks nice though!

Jessica Turner

posted March 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

I love it!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love the new look man.

dubdynomite

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:05 am

The new site looks great. I’m seriously considering going to the Standard Theme on my blog soon, as soon as I have the time to make the adjustments.

Jenni

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:08 am

FINALLY!!! YAY, MATTHEW!!! you’re such a big boy now!

love how this looks!

Darrell

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:11 am

Welcome to WordPress! I’m sure you’ll grow to love it.

I appreciate this move because it means I can read and comment on your blog at work now. All blogspot.com addresses are blocked by the dreaded Websense monster.

Siggy

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

You should have made a Xanga. WP is so outdated. ;)

some chick

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

Alas! Not to be Debbie Downer; I am well acquainted with the seductions of WordPress, but I always worry when a blog I enjoy is on WordPress, because for some reason the WP comment system mysteriously eats/refuses to post comments for me about 30% of the time.

Oh well, your blog will still be one of my favs. Off to refresh the page 20 times so Firefox will learn the new location…

Hopefully this comment posts. ;)

Mike

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

I like the fact that it loads much faster.

Pingback: Tweets that mention I confess to you my sin of using… | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

JuliaKate

posted March 29, 2010 at 11:14 am

i am a fan of WordPress and i am moving back there shortly when i revamp my blog. for now i’m on blogspot… mostly because my wordpress blog was attacked by a crazy stalker! she has moved on… i hope & perhaps the coast is clear;)
btw, i really like the look of this blog.

Adam M.

posted March 29, 2010 at 11:56 am

It looks a lot better and loads a LOT faster! The load time on your blogspot site was set on “dialup” or something. Nice look…feels sort of magazine-ey.

tim

posted March 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Now if churches (mine especially) would follow your lead and get rid of their ugly sites … ;-)

Nick Shoemaker

posted March 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

So glad you made the jump man!

Welcome to the Standard Theme community!

Peace. :)

David Knapp

posted March 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm

When I first happened upon your blog I thought, “This guy is funny.” Then I realized you also wrote books so then I thought, “Why is this guy using blogspot?”

I am glad to see you have made the move. I hope wordpress is good to you. When I first moved from Blogspot to WordPress I was a bit confused and I didn’t have a servant friend to help me out. After about a week or month I had most of it figured out.

Glad you moved! :-)

David

posted March 29, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Beautiful work all round – and the feed seems to have transferred without a glitch too :)

tam

posted March 29, 2010 at 8:53 pm

i will now claim you, publicly, as my friend.

well done.

LOVE IT!

Matthew Paul Turner

posted March 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Haha! Thank you. Your public love is crucial to my survival. :)

Love you back.

gitz

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm

It’s cool. You’re cool. And I’m still an unrepentant blogspot user. Can we still be friends?

gitz

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Oh, and I think I was totally wrong about your nav bar that I referenced in the email. I was looking at in on my Ipod Touch and I think it was harder to read small. So, just disregard me as an idiot. And a blogspot user.

Amy @ My Friend Amy

posted March 29, 2010 at 11:56 pm

It looks good! I still use blogger, but due to endless commenting problems am finally considering making the switch. It’s just the maintenance, oh the maintenance! The hackers! The constant wp updates! :)

But your site looks GREAT.

Ryan

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:37 am

Love the WordPress, but the 1 MB picture on your about page may need some scaling ;)

Great stuff!

Andrea @ MommySnacks.net

posted March 30, 2010 at 10:32 am

Matthew, it looks great! And, welcome to the dark side of WordPress. We have plugins (=:

Dawn

posted March 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I like your site. I like your new look. I use blogspot. I like it! But people can use whatever floats their boat!