Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Which Reminds Me

posted by Scot McKnight

AlJac.jpgIn chapter four of Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn (Everyman’s Library)
, we read the wonderful tale of Tom trading for tickets outside church on a Sunday morning. Before the chapter is over we discover those tickets were good for a prize, and what made the scene prickly fun was that a guest celebrity was on hand. Tickets were given for those who had memorized Bible verses, and when the memorizer had collected enough tickets he or she was given — in public — a new Bible. To the unsuspected surprise of the teacher before the celebrity guest, only Tom had enough tickets that day to claim the prize.

The guest asked Tom to show what he had memorized and before long it got uncomfortable because Tom had nothing to say. Eventually he was asked just to name the first two apostles, to which Tom finally had something to say so he blurted out “David and Goliath!”
Wonderful scene for good old Twain. But it is the next words that are about as choice as one can find: “Let us draw the curtain of charity over the rest of the scene.”
Lines like that are the reader’s prize, and if you happen to keep your favorite lines in a commonplace book, which has been the custom of some (not I), you can pull out treasures — old and new — when you are writing or preaching or, if your memory is particularly agile, in conversation. Someday I hope to find a good reason to use that Twain line.
Who does this the best?
By the way, what do you do when you come across a great line? Do you store them somewhere? Anyone have tips?

Essayists. Why? Essays permit and encourage the good line, even if it leads the author down a slightly different path once the line gets its time.

The best at this is Joseph Epstein, who remembers the best lines from the world’s greatest writers. Pulling lines from the greatest writers animates essayists. Everything reminds essayists of something else or someone else. To be sure, there’s an element of snobbery or where-can-I-get-an-even-better-line among the best essayists. Many essayists come to mind but I’ll mention only a few, though I’m not saying they are snobs: E.B. White, James Thurber, Phillip Larkin, Nancy Mairs, Joan Gerber, and Samuel Johnson.
The form goes back, I suppose, to folks like Plutarch, who seems never to have retired, or even earlier to Cicero, who wrote — with one eye over his shoulder — some of his stuff in his villa in Tusculum, but many of us would say the modern familiar essay got its new life from Montaigne, who wrote in retirement in France. Each of them had prodigious memories, or access to a commonplace book of some sort where they stored their favorite lines. Which reminds me of something Montaigne once said: “Truth and reason are common to everyone, and no more belong to the man who first spoke them than to the man who says them later.” Which is exactly why folks keep commonplace books, so they can “say them later.”
These folks write on common topics and dive in and one thing leads to another. It’s all a game of “which reminds me” but which somehow hangs together into a pleasurable, intellectual jaunt. Essayists don’t write logical treatises. They don’t footnote because, of course, it would both clutter the page and remind readers already what they (are supposed to) know (and asking reveals ignorance, so one doesn’t ask). Footnoting an essay is like a baseball player pulling out a personal notebook after a hit and jotting down his accomplishment.
Our friends the essayists take a walk with an idea and see where it takes them in the vast stores of their memories. They are, we have to remind ourselves, going somewhere but where they are going isn’t mapped out from the beginning. Once again, I am reminded of something Montaigne said of what the essayist is seeking to do: “I put forward,” Montaigne confesses in his essay on prayer, “formless and unresolved notions … not to establish the truth but to seek it.” Essays are for seekers.
Alan Jacobs is a master of the essay form even if his are not always in the “familiar” style, and he’s about the only evangelical Christian essaying here and there that I know of. His newest book, Wayfaring: Essays Pleasant and Unpleasant
, just out from Eerdmans, binds into a tidy little book, graced with an impressionist painting cover, essays of his recently published in other places. Only two of the pieces have not been published before; most were new to me.
It’s a splendid book, strolling in and out of the familiar and the review essay, taking on such topics as the classical subject of friendship and Rowling’s novels and Brian McLaren, and I hope you can read it. Jacobs has mastered the “which reminds me” game. His essay on Tolkien is about “invention” and he wanders from Auden to Sir Philip Sidney to Spenser to Erasmus to C.S. Lewis to Eliot to Michael Chabon … and manages to be reminded of a line from each.

John W Frye

posted July 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

I usually have a card and pencil–I don’t like to mark up books that I read only once. On the card, I write something like “p 43 middle”. When I get finished, I’ll go back and copy out the lines. For example, here’s a line from John Steinbeck’s *Journal of a Novel: The ‘East of Eden’ Letters* — “How the mind rebels against work [of writing], but once working, it rebels just as harshly against stopping. I don’t know why this should be.”

Scot McKnight

posted July 27, 2010 at 10:30 am

John, where do you keep your lines/quotations?

reJoyce

posted July 27, 2010 at 10:40 am

I do something similar to John, except I place small sticky notes on the page. Then when I’ve finished the book I go back and copy the quotes into a commonplace book and remove the sticky notes.

JoeyS

posted July 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

I do one of three things to remember good lines. These will show my age:
1. I facebook them as a status which ends up being a helpful archive
2. I post them as a blog post, fully cited of course.
3. I save them in my phone.
I guess using a pen and paper doesn’t cross my mind as readily!
Here is the latest quote entered into my phone:
“Our crap can become our credentials.” -Chris Lahr-

John W Frye

posted July 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

Scot #2,
Random places– the Steinbeck quotes are in my copy of *East of Eden.*

Scot McKnight

posted July 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

So you don’t keep a commonplace book or use 3×5 cards (and store them in order somewhere)?

DRT

posted July 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I have no mechanism, but the one I want to say once in my life (for sentimental reasons) is:
Person – What did you take in college?
Me – I’m a scientist, so I took up Time and Space
I know I am warped….

Brian Volck

posted July 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I would happily read Alan Jacobs’ laundry list, as much for the way he writes as for those he quotes.

Dave Moore

posted July 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Here is a ten minute clip of me demonstrating my own process.
http://www.twocities.org (upper right hand corner: “In My Library: How I Write”

Dave Moore

posted July 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Here is a ten minute clip of me in my study demonstrating my own process.
http://www.twocities.org (upper right hand corner)

Travis Greene

posted July 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I will make small notations in the back of the book, just enough to jog my memory about a particular line. Usually the first few words of the line or just what it is about. Then when I flip to that page I can easily see where it’s underlined. I can usually remember well enough who said what, and if not most things are fairly easy to find online.
I will also do blog posts of an extended quote and that’s easy to look up as well.