Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

To Kill a Mockingbird

posted by Scot McKnight

HarperLee.jpgThe novel, To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
, is 50 years old now.

Thanks to my friend, Karen, who posted this link, I’m about to sit down to read the novel again as well as the baffling biography, Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee
Harper Lee remains a recluse so anyone who even tries to write her biography has an uphill battle — all the way.

Bob Robinson

posted July 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm

You’re gonna read FICTION?

Scot McKnight

posted July 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Bob, this book is so good I don’t consider it “fiction.” I classify it as “classic.”

Barb

posted July 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I have a 1960 hardback copy that I saved when I moved my Mom and Dad out of their house.–it’s one of the books I kept.

chaplain mike

posted July 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Scot, we’ll be doing a writer’s roundtable on TKAM soon on Internet Monk. Just finished the book today. What a pure pleasure and thought-provoking story.

RJS

posted July 11, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Oh shoot. I don’t have the time – but it sounds like a book that I ought to read (I never have).

JonathanBlake

posted July 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I love this book. I remember reading it a few years ago in high school and being from/in Alabama at the time I remember the shock over how things had been and how much has changed and also a few things that haven’t really changed in the heart of Dixie over just a few ‘short’ decades.

Bill

posted July 11, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Yes, not fiction, a real classic. Snuck a copy in the 4th grade (1965), as the teacher thought it too adult – profound. Learned the power of books as I wept. RJS you need to read this one – even the movie was powerful – Peck and the young Duvall.

gingoro

posted July 12, 2010 at 6:30 am

One of the best books I have ever read and a good film as well. Very Human!

gingoro

posted July 12, 2010 at 6:33 am

To admin:
I can’t seem to comment from Firefox 3.6.3 A while back I could post from Firefox, possibly an earlier version, but not anymore. Using IE 8 works fine.
Dave W

RJS

posted July 12, 2010 at 7:21 am

Dave,
I use Firefox 3.6.6 and don’t have trouble commenting. It must be something specific rather than the browser.
Every so often the captcha doesn’t appear on the page and I have to refresh to get it to show up, but most of the time I don’t have a problem.

Micah

posted July 13, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Scot, if the 50th anniversary edition is 50 years old, does that mean that the book is 100 years old?
Regardless, you should really read Gladwell’s take. I found it fascinating.

Ashlee Helms

posted August 5, 2010 at 12:55 am

I just can?t understand why a person who?s written such a brilliant book would want to live a life of recluse. ‘To Kill a Mockingbird‘ leaves a lasting impression on you. A story that takes place in a small town in the Deep South where racial discrimination is at its highest. Atticus Finch, the man who towers above the others, listens to his heart and finds courage to defend an African American, wrongly accused of raping a white woman. It took guts to go against the current. It?s not surprising, then, that Finch is one of the most-loved characters in literature. Shmoop had some thought-provoking comments on this that helped me with my paper last year. It?s always good to read what other people think about a classic like this.