Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Another blue bird in our backyard (not a parakeet)

posted by Scot McKnight

We just spotted this Indigo Bunting at our feeder.

IndigoBunting.jpg

RJS

posted May 11, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Cool

Seaton

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:09 pm

My bird book says that their feathers aren’t blue, they’re black. Believe it or not.

Paul Bruggink

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:38 pm

We have several of them at our feeders, and I didn’t even write a book (very good book, BTW).

Scot McKnight

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Well, Seaton, they’re dark but a little brownish too.
I’m wondering if any birders — Jim Eisenbraun there? — out there have anything to say?

Scot McKnight

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Seaton,
My observations: not a Blue Jay, not an Eastern Bluebird, finch size, no other real blue birds in our area but an Indigo Bunting.

Paul Bruggink

posted May 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

It looks like an indigo bunting to me.

Luke

posted May 11, 2010 at 11:14 pm

That’s definitely an indigo bunting; in my opinion one of the prettiest birds in North America. Nice set up you got there, Scot!

Steve

posted May 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

Our group who attended Pepperdine from Florida agrees that your presentation in Elkins auditorium on Blue Parakeet was the best class presentation we heard. Any chance you will be a regular in Malibu? Should we send Jerry Rushford a few 50′s toward that end?
Peace.