Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by Scot McKnight
This guy’s beard is weird!
WeirdBeard.jpg

I have a piece in the new Neue magazine (cool pun, huh?).

Sad to hear of Clark Pinnock’s Alzheimer’s (see here too).

Sad to read Christine’s piece. Our prayers.

Before we go any further, who’s got an iPad and what do you have to say?

Good question for all of us, in whatever setting we find ourselves: “Who’s not here?”
Another good question and discussion by Mark Galli.
Good question from Fr. Rob.
Good reminder from Richard Mouw.
Good review by LaVonne. (Other than the one reference.)
Good reminder from Sage.
At Out of Ur, Gordon Macdonald says very, very good things about health care. Yes, he says, we can afford it. I agree. The issue is do we want to afford it.
At Patheos, Cross Investigations is on what theological theme is most vital to recover.
Mark Roberts on a hymn.
At Unreasonable Faith, Daniel Florien (former evangelical, now atheist) interviews Matthew Paul Turner.
Disclosure: Many, but not all, of the books reviewed on this blog were sent to me by the publisher. (E.g., the current series on The Loser Letters was not sent to me. I purchased the book.) This blog receives no money from any publisher. No publisher has ever asked me to write something positive about a book sent to be reviewed on this blog. I try to help you, the reader, by passing on information about books I think will be helpful.
Only because I’m a grandfather do I notice these things; but Amazon is having some April sale on diapers and the like. Thought some of you readers might like to know!
Meanderings in the News
LastJudgment.jpg

1. Is this dopamine

2. I wouldn’t miss a Saturday mail delivery. Jennifer sure enjoyed her mail — worth your reading.
4. On those hard-to-find black truffles. Speaking of Italy’s truffles, Nero’s trussles are struggling (with some good pics).
5. The folks at National Review are after Obama’s campaign promises.
6. CSM on the rise of New Calvinism.
7. Before you apply for a job, hide (that Facebook or MySpace page). This no longer has to be hidden: pilots can take anti-depressant meds.
8.The Catholic Church, the Pope, and the sexual allegations/crimes are the issue On Faith at the Washington Post. George Weigel on the issues. Andrew Sullivan spars constantly with the likes of Weigel. The NYTimes is relentlessly editorializing. (The wheels of public statement move too slowly in the Vatican, and the Vatican’s choice to blame bias in the media isn’t working. Here is the official statement from the Vatican.) Sullivan’s theme is clear, though I tire of his speculation: “But if one believes that a celibate priesthood can be a magnet for sexually repressed and conflicted or emotionally arrested homosexuals, and if one understands that all priests, like all human beings, are sexual creatures, and if one believes that the core problem is also total authority, a closed clerical culture and no external accountability, then the question of what went on for centuries before the abuse crisis emerged into the sunlight remains. More than remains: it haunts.”
9. David Brooks: “Nonetheless, if you had to take more than three seconds to think about this question, you are absolutely crazy. Marital happiness is far more important than anything else in determining personal well-being. If you have a successful marriage, it doesn’t matter how many professional setbacks you endure, you will be reasonably happy. If you have an unsuccessful marriage, it doesn’t matter how many career triumphs you record, you will remain significantly unfulfilled.” I don’t know about you, but there was a flap that didn’t connect for me. The flap was that Brooks was saying Bullock should have tended to her marriage. I didn’t see that. Did you?
10. Oh-oh, climatologists and metereologists aren’t on the same map.
Meanderings in Sports
You ready? Here come the Cubs! Just sayin.
An absolutely-must read about Bernie Carbo.
Casey Stengel’s best statement ever: “Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.”

Rick

posted April 3, 2010 at 7:33 am

“You ready? Here come the Cubs! Just sayin.”
The Braves are ready and waiting for them to arrive in town :^)
No Final Four predictions?

RJS

posted April 3, 2010 at 7:34 am

From the article in Neue:
Let us humble ourselves before God, let us bathe ourselves in the Spirit=drenched biblical Story, and let us invoke God’s Spirit to give us the word of the Gospel for our day as we seek to be faithful to the Spirit-empowered witness of the New Testament.
What we need is less imitation and more discernment through God’s Spirit.
Great stuff Scot – not so much the specific application to church form and ministry, but the root reality for everything. We need God and Spirit and Story and Witness and Truth – not inerrancy and theology and adam and proof and ego and truth.

Scot McKnight

posted April 3, 2010 at 7:48 am

Rick,
On the Final Four: against everything in my bones, I predict West Virginia will win.

RJS

posted April 3, 2010 at 8:11 am

UConn Scot, UConn!
By the way – the Captcha refresh is giving me problems today. It erases my text when I refresh – it didn’t do that yesterday. Did b-net change something?

cas

posted April 3, 2010 at 9:30 am

I’m always surprised to find a link from Weekly Meanderings, especially when I write a little personal piece for which I have no real explanation as to its purpose, other than bearing witness. So, thanks again Scot.
The particular piece of writing that you linked to this morning (Sad to Read Christine’s piece) would be one I would worry about if I were job hunting, which is why when I was, I stop blogging, hid my archives and twitter feed and made my “about” page the front page that potential employers would land on.
It’s also why I block search engines from crawling my blog. Doing so greatly reduces traffic, but I want a search of my name to produce one link to my blog and then to reference my professional work. Work like my first column for Urban Faith, which I will shamelessly promote by directing readers here: http://www.urbanfaith.com/2010/03/the-art-of-ministry.html
I’m not sure, if I had it to do over again, that I would ever have written about my personal life online or elsewhere. I suspect that having done has created professional barriers that I sometimes regret. And yet, I keep writing…

RJS

posted April 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

cas,
And it is the completely public nature of the internet, the long arm of the search engine, that keeps me writing with my initials rather than name.
One needs to consider the internet a bit like a picture window – useful for letting light in, but don’t undress in front of it.

cas

posted April 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

RJS, You are a scientist and I am a journalist, so there are differences in professional values. Journalists tell people’s stories and believe in the power of story and truth-telling. In this way, telling my own story is ethically consistent with my professional values.
I started blogging because I was thinking about writing a book and publishers recommended it. Never did I dream that something so awful as my son’s suicide would happen as I was writing about my family’s recovery from whistleblowing at a megachurch.
After it did, my family and friends were overwhelmed with phone calls for information and using the blog became an easy way to communicate with people. I also felt a serious responsibility to the young people who were struggling with what had happened and tried to share with them whatever solace and hope I could find. Some of those individuals and others continue to communicate with me about what it means to them for me to do so. I wish readers and editors were more interested in my other work than in this, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
As to writing from a pseudonym, it’s not something I could do because I believe so strongly in truth-telling and standing up publicly for what I believe. Like you, I use my initials when commenting on blogs, and generally include a link to my blog so that I am taking responsibility for whatever I say. Beliefnet is the only place I don’t do that because the platform doesn’t hide the url and mine includes my full name. Thus searches of my name would lead to comments that I make here, and professionally I don’t want that.

Dave Moore

posted April 3, 2010 at 11:47 am

Pinnock gave a glowing endorsement of my first book which was largely a critique of his belief in annihilationism. Now that’s gracious!

Christine

posted April 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Scot, I don’t have one . . . yet! Here’s a link to Stephen Fry’s very well written article in Time: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1976935-4,00.html
Worth reading for anyone pondering iPad!
Happy Easter, all!

Doug Wilson

posted April 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Scot, my wife and I had Clark in our home. What a dear, sweet, brilliant man! Clark, in person or through his writings, always made you think, even when you disagreed with him. And he provided me with a wonderful model of a theologian who, when he discovered new evidence that challenged his previous understanding, was humble enough to say “I was wrong,” and change his view. His fairly radical theological pilgrimage brought him some ridicule and belittling, but he didn’t undergo that journey because he was an iconoclast, but because he was willing to go wherever the biblical evidence took him, and because of his missional commitment. He once wrote, “Standing between, as we do, the world of the biblical text and the world of today, we have to build bridges across the divide for the sake of reaching today’s generation for Christ” (“Building the bridge from academic theology to Christian mission,” Themelios 9.3 (April 1984): 3-6; available online at http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/articles_themelios.php or http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/publications).
I have fond memories of a debate he had with J.I. Packer at Regent College on God’s foreknowledge, where, in a typically Clark moment, he sort of exploded with exasperation at what he felt was an illogical notion of who God is and how God has chosen to relate to us . . . and a refusal to let the Bible speak for itself on the subject. It changed my understanding of God, and my relationship with God. And sometime later, I was privileged to moderate a “discussion” (not debate) of inerrancy at Regent among Clark, Packer, and Tony Thiselton – talk about being out of my depth! – that was irenic and illuminating. I also think of being deeply moved at a chapel at Regent where he gave his testimony, ending, with tears streaming down his face, with his grateful praise to God: “once I was blind, but now I can see!”
I thank God for Clark, for his mind and his heart, and offer prayers for him and his family.

Chuck

posted April 4, 2010 at 12:45 am

Scot,
I find Gordon McDonald’s piece (on the health care bill) to be overly simplistic. If providing access to quality health care for all Americans were simply a matter of everyone putting up a “few dollars more” then support for such an effort would IMO be resounding. However, the fear among many is that the “few dollars more” will evolve into an unwieldy financial and bureaucratic monster. That concern is very real.

Mich

posted April 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Scott,
Thanks for the article about Bernie Carbo–like all of New England, I remember the Home run well! God’s grace can reach Bernie Carbo too.

Marcus Goodyear

posted April 9, 2010 at 10:05 am

Thanks for the link to Mark Roberts and Billy Coffey’s work. I really admire both of them.