Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Michael Spencer, 1956-2010

posted by Scot McKnight

From Chaplain Michael Mercer’s post that our blog friend, Michael Spencer, the incomparable iMonk, has passed away. We are saddened to hear this and will miss his energetic voice; we grieve with Denise; we mourn Michael’s passing. Here’s Chaplain Mike’s post:

I received word tonight that Michael Spencer, the Internet Monk, our friend, passed away in his home in Oneida, KY, in the presence of his family.

With them, we mourn his passing.

With them, our tears fall.

With them, we express gratitude that Michael is at peace and no longer suffering.

With them, we cry out to God in pain because our suffering has just increased.

With them and with all creation, we groan, awaiting the day when this sad world will be put to rights.

With them and with all the saints, we put our trust in Christ alone, crucified, buried, risen, ascended, and coming again.

Words are hard to come by at this moment. At a more appropriate time tomorrow, I will say more.

Thank you for praying.

Dr. James Galyon

posted April 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Michael will be missed. Praying for Denise and the kids.

Carl Franzon

posted April 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm

My prayers also for the family and I mourn with those who mourn. We do groan with all creation, but also with the words echoing still from yesterday of Alleluia, Christ is risen! He is risen indeed, Alleluia!

Taylor George

posted April 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I am going to miss that guy. He had quite a talent for blogging and writing in a thought provoking kind of way.

William Birch

posted April 5, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I feel sadness and comfort at the same time. May the Lord strengthen and bless his family, and give them a holy grief.

Scott Eaton

posted April 5, 2010 at 11:57 pm

When I heard about this earlier in the evening I shed more than a few tears. Michael will be missed.

phil_style

posted April 6, 2010 at 2:00 am

Incomparable indeed. We will miss his contribution greatly.

Rick

posted April 6, 2010 at 6:26 am

His impact will be long felt. He will be missed.

JoanieD

posted April 6, 2010 at 6:59 am

Michael was an amazing writer and someone who was great at reminding folks of the great love and grace that God has for us. I will miss him very much as I know others will who followed Michael closely through his blog. I look forward to his book coming out in September. You can find it on Amazon…it’s called Mere Churchianity.
Goodbye for now, Michael. See you in the new creation God has planned.

Carl Holmes

posted April 6, 2010 at 8:50 am

He straightened out my brother in law at the school he worked at in Oneida many years ago. First rate theologian, first rate believer. Lived it in word and deed I have no doubt.
Rest In Peace.

derek leman

posted April 6, 2010 at 9:03 am

It is sad when beautiful people live short lives and it seems to happen more than we would like. He did and said a lot of beautiful things and left the world a better place than he found it.

J Voss

posted April 6, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Joanie D. said it so well: “reminding folks of the great love and grace that God has for us.” He is already missed. . .

Dominic Justice

posted April 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I’m very grateful for Michael’s impact on my life, theology and life! May his legacy continue….

Matt Banker

posted April 7, 2010 at 3:15 am

Michael Spencer may have been one of the most important people in my life that I have never met. As a believer who hasn’t felt like I have a denominational home I learned so much from him. He was loyal to his Baptist roots but had such respect for the wider church tradition. He showed me that there is common ground and things to be learned from the entire Christian spectrum, even the parts that may sometimes drive you nuts. It’s a decidedly post-modern experience to feel that in many ways he was my pastor for the past five years that I’ve been reading internetmonk.com.

Cramdon

posted April 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Michael Spencer was truly amazing. His passing has not caught the attention (at least, not yet that I am aware of) of some of the more notable Catholic and Reformed bloggers whom he has dealt with at one time or another. My guess is that Michael Spencer will continue to have more of an impact on the average Christian blog reader than most of those camps put together.

joe beach

posted April 8, 2010 at 1:41 am

Thank you Michael for your courage and insight! May God comfort your family and friends with his amazing grace.