Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Books To Come … (RJS)

posted by Jesus Creed Admin

As we look ahead to the summer … I have several books on my desk, and plan to post on them over the next few months. If you have particular interests you may wish to get a hold of one or more.

Suggestions for other books are welcome as well – use the comment section below, or send me an e-mail (rjs4mail[at]att.net).

Elaine Howard Ecklund, Science vs Religion: What Scientists Really Think.

John F. Haught, Making Sense of Evolution: Darwin, God, and the Drama of Life.

William P. Brown, The Seven Pillars of Creation: The Bible, Science, and the Ecology of Wonder.

Joel B. Green, Body, Soul, and Human Life: The Nature of Humanity in the Bible.

Michael J. Behe, The Edge of Evolution: The Search for the Limits of Darwinism.

It should make for an interesting summer

D Nugget

posted April 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This book looks interesting: “God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World?and Why Their Differences Matter” by Stephen Prothero

don woolley

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I loved the Joel Green book.

Rachel H. Evans

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Judging from your reading list, I’m wondering if you plan to attend the BioLogos Foundation’s summer workshop at Gordon College (I think it’s June 9-12). I’d like to go myself.

Jim Martin

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:37 pm

RJS, what an interesting list! I look forward to reading your reflections on these books>

RJS

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Rachel,
No I won’t be at the BioLogos workshop – although I will be in the vicinity at a science conference that week.
The workshop does look interesting.

Brandon Vogt

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm

For a book that would fall in the same genre as those above–written by a Catholic Bishop some predict to be the next Pope–check out:
“Chance of Purpose? Creation, Evolution, and a Rational Faith” – Cardinal Christoph Schonborn (Bishop of Vienna, Austria)

Chris Criminger

posted April 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Hey Scot,
I just saw this one today. Robert Wuthnow BE VERY AFRAID: THE CULTURAL RESPONSE TO TERROR, PANDEMIC, ENVIRONMENTAL DEVASTATION, NUCLEAR ANNIHILATION, AND OTHER THREATS (Oxford, Univer. Press, 2010).

Ken B

posted April 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm

RJS,
Brown’s book seems an extraordinary one to me, as he is a leading O.T. scholar (with major works on Genesis, Psalms, wisdom literature, and O.T. ethics) who has also read and consulted rather widely in the pertinent scientific fields and thought about all this deeply. Most of the many worthwhile books that have come out in the last decade or so on evolution and Christian faith/the Bible have been written by scientists, some by theologians who specialize in “theology and science.” There have also been quite a few works from biblical scholars treating Genesis in its ancient near eastern context. Brown also provides contextual exegesis of Genesis and reports or explanations of recent scientific research, but I think this book moves beyond either of those types of books to give us something different. Brown advances the conversation by bringing his O.T. expertise, curiosity about the sciences, and creativity to bear on the task of considering parallel, intersecting, and disjunctive concerns and understandings in contemporary science and the Bible (more specifically, 7 major texts about creation from throughout the O.T.). I am glad this book will be getting wider exposure and discussion here. I had been thinking about calling it to your attention.
Green’s book is similar in that he is a leading N.T. scholar who in recent years has done mid-career graduate study in the neurosciences.

danimal

posted April 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm

RJS,
They all look pretty good. I’m particularly excited about the Ecklund and Haught books. Even though I’m more of a lurker than a commenter I appreciate you leading these discussions.

marlin

posted April 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm

What is the status of the expanded version of John Wallace’s The Lost World of Genesis One?