Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Now Brewing: Ruta Maya

posted by Scot McKnight

latte.jpg

When we were down in Katy Texas, Marlin Fenn introduced me to Ruta Maya coffee, and he was kind enough to send me a bag of beans. Organic, medium roast — and very good. The coffee company is out of Austin Texas, and they are committed to “fair” trade and helping out the farmers of Latin America. Shade-grown, no fertilizers etc.
Let’s give it up again for the local roasters who are committed to ecological health. Go ahead, let’s hear some shout-outs for the locals.
I’m brewing Ruta Maya now and, as always, making it into a latte. It’s got just a hint of some citrus, mostly full and chocolatey and tasty. I like it a lot. If I were a Texan, and lived near a Ruta Maya stop, it would be my regular.

realhonestguy

posted March 21, 2010 at 6:00 pm

A shout out goes to Carpe’ Diem in Mobile, AL. Some of this finest coffee I’ve ever tasted. Coffee roasted daily in house. I like going while they are roasting. It’s like crack for coffee addicts just to savor the smell!

Adam Shields

posted March 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love my Land of 1000 Hills Coffee. Do Justice, Drink Coffee is their tag line. Great coffee. http://www.drinkcoffeedogood.com

Matt Erickson

posted March 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Alterra coffee roasters here in Milwaukee is definitely top quality while upholding ecological and community standards.

Jeff Stewart

posted March 21, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Now you’re talking my language.

Rick in Texas

posted March 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Java Journey in Hickory NC – “a church disguised as a coffee shop” operated by Pastor Jeff and Teena Stewart. The dark roast “Black Widow” is amazing stuff.

Rick in Texas

posted March 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Oh look – I hadn’t even noticed you had posted, Jeff!

Dave Leigh

posted March 22, 2010 at 12:41 am

Conscious Cup in Crystal Lake, IL. The roaster is right there in the front window and takes of one-fourth of the shop. The cup sizes are: awake, aware, and wired.
Great coffee!

Mich

posted March 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Peets………..there is no substitute:

Marlin Fenn

posted March 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Scot, just catching up on the week’s posts. I’m glad you like the Ruta Maya. Had some myself today, and really enjoy the Aeropress you suggested!