Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Finally, Someone has the courage to tell the truth!

posted by Scot McKnight

ChocolateKeyboard.jpg

From CNN.com. What’s your advice? What chocolate should we purchase?

Compared with people who rarely ate chocolate (about one bar per month), the people who ate the most chocolate (slightly more than one bar per week) had a 27 percent and 48 percent reduced risk of heart attack and stroke, respectively, the researchers found….

OK, we need to be careful, but just sayin’, the stuff’s good for you. Amen.

“This is only one small egg per day,” says Buijsse. “Eating higher amounts will most likely result in weight gain. If people start eating small amounts of chocolate, it should replace something else, preferably other high-calorie sweets or snacks.”
Experts believe that natural compounds known as flavonoids (or flavonols), which appear to promote artery health and reduce inflammation, are responsible for the cardiovascular benefits that have been associated with chocolate consumption.
This study is merely the latest to point to the heart benefits of chocolate. In addition to lower blood pressure, cocoa consumption has been linked to improved blood vessel function, lower LDL (or bad cholesterol), and higher HDL (good cholesterol) in recent years.

George Davis

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Hey Scott…
Greetings from Hershey, PA…thanks for publicizing the benefits of chocolate!
In talking with friends at the Hershey Company, one of the interesting things about Americans and chocolate is this: when our economy goes down, we buy more chocolate.
So, if I sent you a five pound chocolate bar, would you eat it???

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Slowly, George, and Kris will ration it (in a socialist way).

Kathy Khang

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm

George,
If Scot won’t eat the chocolate, I will! Another related economy fact: economic slumps have often resulted in increase sales of lipstick. I suppose it’s from wiping my mouth after eating more chocolate…
Hmmm. Do you think I could get reimbursed for my chocolate purchases through my health flex plan?

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm

George, seriously, Kathy’s almost a neighbor.

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm

George, Kathy’s not telling the whole truth. We bought her three kids three jumbo size candy bars for Halloween, and her kids told us that their mom wouldn’t let them eat ‘em. So, send it my way.

George Davis

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Ok Scot,
send me a mailing address and we will take care of you.
Hopefully, we can have you speak here in the future. Everyone needs to visit the “sweetest place on earth” at least once!

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm

We were close last weekend … in Ephrata.

AprilK

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I eat a small piece of dark chocolate every day…for my health, of course. :)
Sorry, George, I won’t touch the stuff made in the US. I only eat Swiss chocolate ever since doing some time with YWAM in Lausanne years ago. I never was able to go back to the American stuff. It just doesn’t compare. (Exceptions made for s’mores. Gotta be Hershey’s for those!)

kathy Khang

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Scot, I told the kids THEY couldn’t eat them…don’t want their baby teeth rotting and falling out before the adult teeth are ready and sealed, you see. ;)
AprilK, we changed things up last year to Hershey’s Special Dark for s’mores…

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Kathy, just take ‘em to the dentist (in the house). Who needs baby teeth? They’re overrated.

JoanieD

posted March 30, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Mmmmmmmm…chocolate!

Aaron

posted March 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Just make sure that its fair trade:
From stopthetraffik.org
Over a third of the world?s cocoa comes from Cote D?Ivoire, West Africa
where cocoa production uses child and forced labour. The Department of Labour 2009

Jim Martin

posted March 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm

A wonderful post! I love the title. I glanced at your post and then immediately went into the kitchen to eat a square of Ghirardelli chocolate. Incredible! Now, I’m doing it for my health.

Pat

posted March 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm

And let’s not forget, the Lord told us not to call anything unclean that He has declared clean.

Wendy

posted March 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Aaron, I agree. I cannot stomach chocolate that is produced by child slaves.

Michael W. Kruse

posted March 30, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I find that chocolate is best consumed on top of a large warm long john donunt. Does that also help the hdl and ldl? :-)

Peggy

posted March 31, 2010 at 12:06 am

Okay, you guys…let’s be sure we have all the facts straight, now!
Milk chocolate doesn’t do it … gotta be dark chocolate — and 70% cocoa is the best … if you’re doing it for your health, that is! ;^)
And, as with everything else, restraint is a godly trait — and should be used with your chocolate.
The easiest way to do this is to get those wonderful dark chocolate squares that are individually wrapped and just have one a day. It’s like a vitamin, eh?
@16, Michael … brother, I hate to disappoint you, but even if it was 70% dark (which you KNOW it isn’t), the presence of the horrible sugar/fat combo in the donut will kill you! ;^)
Hmmm…I think I’m fresh out of chocolate … bummer….

Laurie

posted March 31, 2010 at 12:07 am

- And today I saw my first commercial for Chocolate Cheerios. Even if it has health benefits, it seems like there is something wrong with making Chocolate Cheerios!

Debbie

posted March 31, 2010 at 1:00 am

Dark chocolate… hummm. With good coffee…. staff of life. God in all His glory said… it is good.
Wasn’t manna chocolate flavored? Yes it was… Genesis something something said so. Really… look it up!
Blessed it He who comes with a hot chocolate~ AMEN!

JoanieD

posted March 31, 2010 at 8:19 am

Debbie, I actually went to Exodus 16 to see what it says about the manna. In Exodus 16:31 we have: “The Israelites called the food manna. It was white like coriander seed, and it tasted like honey wafers.” It goes on to say in 32: “Then Moses said, ‘This is what the Lord has commanded: Fill a two-quart container with manna to preserve it for your descendants. Then later generations will be able to see the food I gave you in the wilderness when I set you free from Egypt.’ ?
I forgot about that part. Does the Bible go on to say what happened to that two quarts? Another thing for Indiana Jones to discover: the missing manna…food personally dropped by God. I think a Jewish archeologist whose name I can’t remember explains the manna scientifically, but I think many devoted Jews and Christians won’t be going along with his explanation.

Tim Franklin

posted March 31, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Peggy @ #17, thanks for pointing out that dark chocolate is the only one to eat. Vastly superior in every way. Here in Vermont we have a number of chocolatiers. My favorite is Daily Chocolate, located just up the road in Vergennes (www.dailychocolate.net). Their dark chocolate bark with green chile pistachios and cranberries is heavenly. Scot, if you ever make it up here to VT, it’s my treat!

Pat

posted April 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm

@Laurie, I tried the Chocolate Cheerios a few days ago and they’re not bad. They actually taste like Count Chocula.