Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

It’s been a while since I mentioned …

posted by Scot McKnight

AeroPress.jpg

… the best little coffee maker in the world: AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker
. I use a Rancilio Silvia at home for my espresso, but at my school office I heat up some water in a micro wave at the end of hall, pour it in the AeroPress and … yes siree … some great coffee. Right now I’m brewing/pressing some Dominican Republic coffee called Santo Domingo. Good stuff made better than any drip machine by the AeroPress.
Can I hear a second?

jeremy

posted February 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Yes, indeed! I use one, too, and I love it. I wish I was closer to Chicago or L.A., actually, because I’d always have super-fresh Intelligentsia coffee to throw into it.

Stephen Barkley

posted February 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I’ll third that motion. Fine-grind some fresh Kicking Horse coffee and drink ‘er straight up.

Bill Kinnon

posted February 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Oh yah! I’m on my third cup of Aeropress coffee today.
And because of your original review, Scot, I think I’ve caused more that 30 people to join the Cult of the Aeropress.

Seaton

posted February 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Oh yeah! Got any tips/hacks for brewing? Like, wetting the filter before you press, or putting the stopper in the end of the tube, turning it upside down and steeping the grounds for a couple of minutes like a french press. Or do you follow the directions closely? What say you?

Your Name

posted February 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ya sure … 12 cup automatic drip, when you need more – just pour more water through the morning’s grounds.
It is much easier. Real Swedish coffee.

Ed Gentry

posted February 25, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I love mine but have two complaints
– it uses lots of coffee
– I haven’t found a way to use it without making a mess (I realize this may say more about me than the aeropress).

Scott

posted February 25, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Some time ago when you mentioned the Aeropress I ordered one. I love it! I even use it at special events at church to make lost of coffee fast and delicious. My congregation loves mine. I’m afraid I will wear it out.

eric

posted February 25, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I also have become an evangelist for the aeropress. the place i live now also has a hot water dispenser on the kitchen sink. easily the fastest way to make coffee.

Pat

posted February 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Yep. Ordered mine because I heard about it here. We don’t make much coffee in this house (please don’t hate me! :) ), so it’s nice to have a good coffee maker that doesn’t take up a lot of space and is easy to clean up.

MatthewS

posted February 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I haven’t purchased one yet but I recommended it to a friend at work who bought it and loves it – said it doesn’t upset his stomach or leave him jittery and the coffee tastes so good. I’ve heard a couple people who use them say that they got used to it, then went back and made coffee with the old drip maker and were surprised at the difference, at how much better the AeroPress coffee was.

Scot McKnight

posted February 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Ed, all machines have grounds (other than those who have sloped all the way down to paper covered coffee pods) but I don’t find it all that messy. Scrape off the grounds at the bottom of the plunger and that’s about it.

Barb

posted February 25, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Scot, if I ever get thinking that I care a little too much about my coffee–I just think of you and then I feel better. :)

Scot McKnight

posted February 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Barb, then you need to meet Billy Kangas; that guy really knows his stuff.

RJS

posted February 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Barb,
Certainly relieves the guilt.

Bob Smallman

posted February 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Technical question: do most of you press the plunger down tight (to squeeze out every last drop) or does it taste better if you leave a little in the grounds??

Henry Zonio

posted February 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm

This is definitely on my wishlist!

Craig L. Adams

posted February 26, 2010 at 7:45 am

This looks interesting to me. However, the references to “microfilters” puts me off a bit. Paper filters remind me of drip coffee makers, and the taste associated with paper filters. This is why I always use a french press! Please tell me I won’t get the *paper filter taste* from this coffee maker!

Scot McKnight

posted February 26, 2010 at 8:44 am

Craig, perhaps you mean the paper filter will absorb some of the oils? I don’t think there’s a paper taste, at least I’ve not tasted it and I haven’t had a barista say so either.

Bob Porter

posted February 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

Has anyone every used a Bodum French press? I really love mine (simple, great taste and no filter).
What about water? I use Brita filtered water and some of my friends say they can taste the difference (from tap water).

Billy Kangas

posted February 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Ed,
“it uses lots of coffee”
it uses 14 grams per scoop… That’s the same as any shot of espresso although contrary to what the box says AeroPress is NOT “real” espresso). If you want a drip coffee flavor use one scoop and fill the chamber up to the top, stir for ten seconds then plunge for 20 seconds. That’s not too much coffee at all! You can also dilute the”espresso” style coffee with hot water to make something pretty tasty. If you really want to save coffee try using less and see if you like how it tastes. Brewing standards are a good place to start but you should always be willing to play with them since every coffee like things done differently.
“I haven’t found a way to use it without making a mess (I realize this may say more about me than the aeropress).”
Take it over to the trash when you are done and push the puck right into the trash… Then wipe the plunger town with a towel and wash it when you wash the cup… Simple clean.. easy

Billy Kangas

posted February 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Bob,
Water is SO important in making coffee I have a britta filter which I bought simply because I want to make sure the coffee I make is the best it can be… KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
FYI SCAA water standards
I have a bodum french press too… It’s a great way to brew as well… It helps give some great body to your coffee.

art

posted February 26, 2010 at 5:18 pm

i use a bodum french press. i love it. they are really good about customer service as well…just in case your wonderful and loving wife breaks the glass when attempting to clean out the grinds! they replaced it for $5 (and that includes shipping!).
i’m going to look into this aeropress. i don’t have an espresso machine, unfortunately, so this will come in handy for me!

Employee ID Cards