Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Liturgy of Espresso

posted by Scot McKnight

Espresso.jpgBilly Kangas, one of the seminary students at North Park and an official coffee expert, wrote this post and I want to pass it on. I’m drinking some Santo Domingo coffee from the Dominican Republic and it’s a fine espresso. Anyway, Billy, thanks for this…

Billy: I am a huge coffee geek. I work with coffee, teach coffee, do coffee consulting. Heck I even have a coffee centered blog (If you haven’t seen it check out Mug Life). After many years of trying to practice a contemplative prayer life while working as a Batista, a number of prayers and reflections began to emerge. I kept them mostly to myself, but every once in a while I would tell a friend, “coffee is in itself a pattern for worship,” or “did you know the Cappuccino is the perfect metaphor for the Trinity.” Even though all of them still think I’m a little neurotic, most of them thought this would be something worth sharing. So without further adieu allow me to present…..

The Liturgy of Espresso

Materials:

coffee, grinder, espresso machine, pitcher of water, pitcher of milk

(if you don’t have an espresso machine try to get a hold of a device that can steam milk, and a way to brew a cup of coffee)

Opening Meditation:

If you present a grain offering to the Lord from the first portion of your harvest, bring fresh grain that is coarsely ground and roasted on a fire. – Leviticus 2:14 (NLT)

Introductory Rites:

Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer;
-answer me, for I need your help. (Psalm 86:1 NLT)

Glory be to the Father and to the son and to the Holy Spirit ( + )

As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen

Collect of Blessing

Heavenly Father, author of all life, as we prepare to transform these substances transform our hearts that these humble means may be used to honor Your Son, with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit One God forever and ever. Amen

Blessing of The Milk (Meditation on the Father)

lift up the pitcher of milk

Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the Universe, who brings us into the land flowing with milk and honey. By your word we receive every good thing.May we always recognize the richness of your blessings.

Let us praise God with this image of nurture. Our God promises that he will remember his people more then a mother who nurses her child. May this milk remind us that God is faithful, even when we are faithless.
Read Hosea 11: 1-4 if there is time

Blessing of The Water and the Coffee (Meditation on Christ)

lift pitcher of water

Blessed are you LORD our God, King of the universe who has given us rain from the heavens, and water on the earth. Let your spirit hover over this water as you did at creation.

Lift coffee beans

Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the Universe, who creates the fruit of the tree. Let these seeds remind us of the dust from which we appear and to which we return.

Let us praise God with these symbols of life, and the life we have through Jesus Christ who took on flesh, though he was God and offered us his living water.

As we crush these seeds may we remember the cross of Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. And the call of all disciples to take up their cross daily and follow.

As we join the water and the seed, may our flesh be united with your living water.

At this time have the following verses read either while the coffee is ground or just before grinding if the noise is too much.

I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels–a plentiful harvest of new lives.
-John 12:24 (NLT)

[Jesus Replied], “those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”
-John 4:14 (NLT)

Blessing of The Steam (Meditation on the Holy Spirit)
Turn on steam wand for 5 seconds

Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the Universe, by whose breath we have become living beings. Your spirit guided your people through the wilderness, and guides and empowers your pilgrim church today.

As this steam breathes through the milk it causes a transformation on the deepest levels. So to the Holy Spirit transforms us into the image of God. Let us praise God for the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Lord Jesus Christ promises us that the Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.
Holy Spirit renew me and all of your creation.

At this time have the following verses read either while the milk is being steamed or just before if the noise is too much. Also begin extracting the shot of espresso into a cappuccino cup.

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit
- John 3:8 (ESV)
Then he breathed on them and said,“Receive the Holy Spirit.
-John 20:22 (NLT)
So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord–who is the Spirit–makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NLT)
Now pour the steamed milk into the cappuccino cup. There should be around 1/3 micro-foam, 1/3 warm milk, and 1/3 espresso.
Closing Mediation on the Trinity
lift the Cappuccino
Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the Universe, by whose word everything comes to be. Just as this drink has three parts yet is one drink so you although one, are also Trinity. Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us, and make us peace bearers who bring your love and Joy in all we do.

Glory be to the Father and to the son and to the Holy Spirit ( + )

As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen

?2009 – Billy Kangas

John M.

posted January 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Nice! Even Cappaccino is sacred!

Billy Kangas

posted January 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm

This cycle of Blessings and meditations can be done alone or with a group. If done in a group there should be a leader and an assistant. The leader says the prayers while the assistant reads the passages of scripture. The + marks places where the sign of the cross can be made. Prayers can be chanted, or read aloud in a group. The group can be divided and take turns saying the prayers if you so desire.

Kristen

posted January 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Do the Capuchin Franciscans know about this???
(So named because the color of their habits is similar to that of cappuccino. True story.)

Ann

posted January 18, 2010 at 2:03 am

Do you know that the Italians speak of Cappuccino being invented by a Cappucin (pronounced and spelled in English as Capuchin) monk? Or, claim that the hoods of the Cappuccini inspired the name, Cappuccino? Enjoy a bit of cultural, religious Italian history with your breakfast drink! http://www.italylogue.com/featured-articles/history-of-cappuccino-whats-in-a-name.html
Perhaps praying one’s way through espresso might not be unheard of since the legend has it that at least one barista in Italy was a friar! :) http://www.comune.torino.it/canaleturismo/en/curiosity/cappucc.htm

Percival

posted January 18, 2010 at 7:47 am

I’m sorry. That’s just weird.

Carl Holmes

posted January 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

I LOVE this.

Chris Ridgeway

posted January 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Ridiculous/amazing. :)

Kurt

posted January 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I have often thought of my morning cappuccino ritual as spiritual. Not ever in quite this formal of terms :) When finished with the milk pour I often make a symbol on top with the crema that, for me, represents the trinity.

Kurt

posted January 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Rick in Texas

posted January 19, 2010 at 2:36 am

Here’s a great piece on coffee by my brother Tom -

Heidi

posted January 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I own a coffee shop/ “neighborhood living room” and my mom is a minister. We often joke our jobs are sometimes almost the same.
But this… this proves it. Thanks!

Kathy Khang

posted January 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

Sweet! Kurt, I am with you on cappuccino being a spiritual ritual. When my youngest entered kindergarten it opened up an extended time of silence that began with the use of a grinder and espresso maker. Now that my youngest is in school all day, I have a morning and afternoon ritual. This is perfect!
Thank you, Scot and Billy!

Mary

posted February 21, 2010 at 11:50 pm

This is great. Thanks for sharing it.