Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

A New Commentary Series

posted by Scot McKnight

CCSS.jpgBaker Academic has done something that should lead all of us to a moment of thanksgiving: I could be wrong, but I think Baker is the first evangelical publishing house that has a commentary series on the Bible by and for Roman Catholics. The new series is called “Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scriptures” and I’ve dipped into and tested and enjoyed two of them:

Mary Healy, Gospel of Mark, The (Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture)
Thomas D. Stegman, Second Corinthians (Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture)
There’s something about this series that is notable: the authors explain the Bible in theologically orthodox ways and explain the text clearly, succinctly and without a lengthy apparatus of the history of interpretation or discussions of alternative views. Solid exegesis; discussion of the evidence as needed; not much bibliographical reference. Just expounds what the text says and moves on. In other words, this could be the first commentary read by a pastor preparing a text and could be read easily by a Sunday School teacher preparing a text, and it would be an excellent commentary for a college Bible class. Sometimes the passages end with reflection and application. A little more thorough than the Tyndale series, and a bit like Black’s NT commenaries, the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture will prove itself to be a reliable, Catholic — but ecumenically open and respectful — commentary. Kudos to Baker, but even more to the authors.

Billy Kangas

posted January 24, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I’m so excited you’re talking about this. It’s a great series. My mentor back in Ann Arbor is one of the editors of this Series, Peter Williamson. I’d love to hear some more of your thoughts on it.

JoanieD

posted January 24, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I just finished Mary Healy’s commentary on the Gospel of Mark and liked it very much. I am looking forward to more!

Andy Smith

posted January 24, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Scot, I’m confused. What is your exact belieft system? If I were to ask you what the bare minimum was needed to be a genuine Christian, what would say? You have a profound impact on a lot of people so knowing where you stand is imperative.

Ian Packer

posted January 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm

As a sucker for new books and, yes, even commentaries, I’ll look forward to having a look at these, particularly given the renewed interest in ‘theological interpretation of Scripture’.
Andy, if one looks for ‘minimums’ such as say Romans 10:9-10 (believing in the resurrection of Jesus and confessing him as lord), one discovers that’s a ‘minimum’ that suddenly devours our whole life, summoning us to explore all of life ‘in the Spirit’ – God forbid that we codify a minimum but instead encourage each other toward embracing ‘the maximum’, realising that we will share in the mistaken beliefs and practices of others–’Roman Catholic’, ‘American Eeeevangelical’, whatever…

Scot McKnight

posted January 24, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Andy, I’m trying to figure out what you are asking in this context? Is it because I recommend a RC commentary series?

:mic

posted January 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Scot
I too am interested in this series, and will be curious to see how it plays out. I have not seen the latest releases, but did interact with one of the initial volumes. Some may find my blog review of it helpful to understand the series . . .

Darryl

posted January 24, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Gee. I don’t think I have to ask Scot for a detailed explanation of what he believes. I can read his work, myself. When I agree with him…I agree with him. When I don’t, I don’t. Is that difficult? Why do I need some sort of detailed explanation? Is it perhaps that I wish to draw some sort of “line of fellowship” or try to pigeon hole him into some category so it will be easy to simply write him off, reject him out right, or to say “Oh, he’s safe, I can read him.”
Let’s use our own brains and think for ourselves.
I’ll look forward to perusing these commentaries.
Thanks, Scot

JoanieD

posted January 25, 2010 at 7:51 am

My only complaint about the Gospel of Mark commentary was that each chapter contained a section either about Biblical Background of Living Traditon and the block of info was colored gray with slightly darker gray font. It is REALLY hard to see the words, especially, perhaps, to those of us with double vision. I wonder if the whole series is like that? Do you know, Scot or :mic?
Thanks for your review, :mic, on your website of the commentary on Timothy.

JoanieD

posted January 25, 2010 at 7:53 am

Thanks for your review, :mic, on your website of the commentary on Timothy.

JoanieD

posted January 25, 2010 at 7:54 am

Sorry for a typo in my above comment. That should say Biblical Background OR Living Tradition, not OF.

Scot McKnight

posted January 25, 2010 at 7:58 am

JoanieD … I agree on the slight difficulty at times of reading the text.

Phillip

posted January 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

This is interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. Are volumes planned for the OT books (including the Deuterocanonical books)?

JoanieD

posted January 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

You can find some information about the authors of the first four books there. Oh dear, I have too much reading I want to do!