Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

The Best Explanation

posted by Scot McKnight

Today I read an article in the NYTimes that said New Yorkers are the least happiest of Americans.

What explains this?
1. The weather
2. The Wall Street
3. The traffic
4. The Yankees
The answer would be: (after the jump)

The Yankees!

So a true New Yorker concludes: “More important, might contentment be overrated? Seriously, isn’t restlessness, even outright discontent, often a catalyst for creativity?”
Yah, that’s a good one.

dopderbeck

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:08 pm

True. I’d much rather root for a team that never wins, like, say, the Cubs!

Scot McKnight

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm

dopderbeck, is it the winning that makes them all so unhappy?

CJ

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm

As a still disgruntled Phillies fan, I’ll take this opportunity to put in a vote for the “Evil Empire” as well :)

RJS

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm

This is worth a post? Don’t you simply state the obvious? The city has never been the same since the Dodgers and Giants moved west.

phil_style

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I can see the red half of Liverpool going the same way ;)

dopderbeck

posted December 22, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Well, personally, I’m very happy the Yankees won (again)!
Actually I think the question is backwards. Winning doesn’t make you unhappy, but you have to be unhappy in order to win. If you’re happy already, you won’t try very hard to win.

Larry

posted December 22, 2009 at 5:23 pm

The real answer is:
5. Other New Yorkers.

Joan Ball

posted December 22, 2009 at 6:11 pm

As a lifelong New Yorker, I’m thinking it has something to do with New Yorkers calling em like we see em. None of that say-you’re-happy-just-to-be-polite stuff you might get down south…

alan

posted December 22, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Joan may be right. But as a lifelong Texan, I can say that calling ‘em like we see ‘em is high virtue here as well. Maybe we just see different things.

James

posted December 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I read that article earlier today, and all I can say (as a displaced Texan in NY) is that a) the situation on the ground is what the research showed; and b) in regard to the author of the article…”Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.”

Ann

posted December 23, 2009 at 1:19 am

I wondered if anyone else laughed with me at that apparent astonishment of the researchers that,
“When the two sets were blended, the economists discovered that the subjective judgments closely tracked the objective ones.”
Humans live in bodies – why would our emotional & intellectual experiences not track with our physical ones?
I’m sure NYC is different in many ways than it was when we worked in, commuted to, and lived in close proximity to it 20+ years ago. However, I’m sure that it still brings out the worst in many folks – cut-throat competition to be noticed, unique, rich, etc., aggressive behavior because of the sheer numbers of people with which one is always surrounded, over-working at longer than normal working hours (by most Americans’ standards and all Europeans’ standards), and the stress caused by all of the above combined with commuting, etc… Most of us don’t thrive happily in such an environment, although some may!

Scott

posted December 24, 2009 at 7:54 am

With all due respect – we are NOT all residents of “the City!” One half of New Yorkers live in Upstate NY which is a beautiful place to live with some of the best people in the world there. That being said, I think the once again the City drags us down! Merry Christmas