Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Only One Can Write this Book

posted by Scot McKnight

Thiselton.jpgOf the handful of experts in the world in the field of hermeneutics, I can think of no one more prepared to write an introduction than Tony Thiselton. And he’s done just that in Hermeneutics: An Introduction

This is not a primer for first year college students, but it is a primer for the theological student and there’s nothing like it — or as good or as informed.
It covers it all, so here are his topics:
Aims and scope
Hermeneutics in the context of philosophy, Bible, literary theory and the social self
The parables as example
Judaism and the Ancient Greeks
NT in the Second Century
Third to Thirteenth Centuries
Reform, Enlightenment, and the rise of Biblical criticism
Schleiermacher and Dilthey
Bultmann
Barth, new hermeneutics, structuralism, post-structuralism and James Barr
Gadamer: The Second Turning point
Paul Ricoeur
Liberation and Postcolonial studies
Feminist and Womanist
Reader-response and reception theory
Postmodernism and hermeneutics
Need I say more? A great book for a pastor  … one chp per month and a whole new way of seeing.

MatthewS

posted December 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm

But can I read random sections of it to find quotes that confirm what I want it to say?

Scot McKnight

posted December 13, 2009 at 5:51 pm

MatthewS, not sure what you are saying.

MatthewS

posted December 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Sorry, Scot, I was making a sly reference to the “what does it mean to me,” Bible study method which tends toward an accidental reader-response hermeneutic. It struck me as sadly funny at the moment to approach a hermeneutics text with a method that would only confirm the reader’s broken hermeneutic, not challenge it, but I am afraid this sense of humor did not translate well.

Tim Hallman

posted December 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm

What a fascinating book. Much needed. It’s now on my wishlist!

Kurt Anders Richardson

posted December 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Tony rocks!
What more is there to say?
He keeps redeeming Nottingham.

Ian Packer

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:03 pm

The humour was appreciated here, Matthew. (Though I wouldn’t drag ‘reader response’ down to that level of random selective quoting for self-justification)
Phew, I haven’t even made it through The Hermeneutics of Doctrine yet…
Scot, any noticable differences from or advances on The Promise of Hermeneutics or The Two Horizons; or is it mostly a more accessible presentation of those and the other larger works?

RJS

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:13 pm

This one looks fascinating.

Scot McKnight

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Ian, it’s a more accessible combination of all of his stuff: New Horizons and Hermeneutics of Doctrine come to mind as now being more accessible. Quite the piece.

John W Frye

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Scot,
It was great seeing you and Kris at Mars Hill Bible Church today in Grand Rapids, MI. For all your fame as a scholar, you preach like a well-informed, caring pastor. Your point that Jesus with a little addition transformed the whole is down-right incredible…incredibly good , I mean.
Thanks for adding to my wish-list of books with this affirmation of Thiselton’s book.

Scot McKnight

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:49 pm

John, as we drove away I thought this: We need to have some Jesus Creed gatherings in communities when I speak.

Carl Holmes

posted December 13, 2009 at 7:58 pm

If you come Colorado Springs way there are plenty here who would love to get together for an evening.

Aslan Cheng

posted December 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I am reading this book, it covers good enough for a textbook level,
more readable than Tony Thiselton’s other books. This book must be in my bookshelf. Thanks Tony Thiselton’s contribution!

phil_style

posted December 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I first heard Thistleton in a youtube video on Paul Ricoeur. Then again his thoughts on Jonah as Satire exposed my to a line of thinking I?d never come across before. I found his appraisal very novel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjJb3Ap8-8 Am interested to hear/read more of his work.

John W Frye

posted December 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Yes, long live Jesus Creed communities; and, *if* it would work, you and Kris schedule a little more time (just a little) to hang out over fun and drink and good conversation…

John W Frye

posted December 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oops: “fun” in comment #14 should read “food.”