Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

What do you do?

posted by Scot McKnight

A letter from Jeremy Berg, who sometimes writes posts for this blog… I’m very keen to hear what you do when Jehovah’s Witnesses come to your door. Can you tell us what you feel, what you want to do, what you do do?

JW.jpgScot -

I had two very nice Jehovah’s Witness women show up at my door this morning.  I never
quite know how to approach these encounters.  I think these encounters are especially awkward for pastors/Bible teachers who are equipped to engage them in theological debate but don’t feel like that is the context (standing at the door freezing). Plus, they are usually just well-meaning laypersons who might not be able or wanting to actually be challenged themselves.

Do I just play dumb, hide the fact that I’m   a pastor, take their pamphlets and send them on their way with a  smile?  Other uncertainties include: Is it appropriate to invite them inside?  Can they accept and come in?

(I think Mormons are a different story here — more willing to sit down and chat.)

Is it wise when they are two women and a guy home alone?

Of course, behind all of these questions is my own sense of obligation to evangelize and try to convert them to the “true faith.”  Should I feel guilty when I  miss an opportunity to “witness” back to them — even when I don’t believe door-to-door evangelism is a very effective or wise approach to personal evangelism?

So, I would love to hear how others in the Jesus Creed community handle such encounters.  Thoughts?

Grace and peace,

Jeremy Berg

mike

posted November 9, 2009 at 12:22 am

this is a great topic. as someone with family members who are jehovah’s witnesses, it’s near to my heart.
first of all, i would not invite women into my home if i were home alone. i’ve always just stepped out onto my porch, closed the door, and chatted. everyone has to make their own decision here, but i think you have to avoid even the appearance of wrongdoing here.
and about the witnesses themselves, they are ALWAYS very well trained, sometimes spending 6-8 hours practicing their lines and apologetics. i just tell them, “look, is it alright if i tell you what i believe? then you can tell me what you think about it?” they’ll either say “no” and leave, or “yes” and listen. if it’s “yes,” then i share the simple gospel.
here’s what i don’t do: tell them i’ll listen to them if they’ll listen to me, or the other way around. they are trained to identify people/homes whom they won’t reach and avoid them, so you’re not establishing relationships or building bridges for later conversations. if you ask them to let you say what you believe, they usually agree b/c they think you don’t know anything.
this should remind us, though, how important it is for each christian to have his or her own explanation of the gospel that you can rattle off in a couple minutes without cutting corners. in other words, share what Christ did, why, and invite them to accept it.
anyways, i’ve waxed on, but this is only my opinion. perhaps others have had different experiences relating to jehovah’s witnesses. it would be particularly interesting to hear from someone converted out of that religion. hope see what others write on here.

Danny Haszard

posted November 9, 2009 at 1:20 am

Lifelong Jehovah’s Witnesses dissident speaks out on JW belief system .
A) They are at your door to recruit you for their watchtower society corporation,they will say that “we are just here to share a message from the Bible” this is deception right off.
B) Their ‘message’ creed is a false Gospel that Jesus had his second coming in 1914.The problem with this is it’s not just a cute fairy tale,Jesus warned of the false prophets who would claim “..look he is here in the wilderness,or see here he is at the temple.”
C) Their anti-blood transfusion ban against *whole blood* has killed thousands.
D) once they recruit you they will “love bomb” you in cult fashion to also recruit your family & friends or cut them off.
—-
Danny Haszard Jehovah’s Witness X 33 years http://www.dannyhaszard.com

Danny Haszard

posted November 9, 2009 at 1:23 am

The Watchtower first published in 1879 had the slogan: advertise,advertise,advertise the King and his (1914) Kingdom.
JW are a spin-off of the second Adventist which all came from the Millerite movement.
American war of 1812 army captain William Miller is ground zero for Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Yes,the “great disappointment” of Oct 22 1844 has never died out… it lives on in the Seventh day Adventist (who admit it) and the Jehovah’s Witnesses who deny it. The central CORE doctrine of the Watchtower,yes the reason the Watchtower came into existence was to declare Jesus second coming in 1914.When the prophecy (derived from William Miller of 1842) failed they said that he came “invisibly”.
Ergo,no 1914 then there can be no 1918 inspection and sealing of the ‘anointed’ so the entire Watchtower Bible and Tract Society doctrinal superstructure comes crashing down like a house of cards.

Danny Haszard http://www.freeminds.org
The Watchtower is a truly Orwellian world.

Daniel Haszard

posted November 9, 2009 at 1:30 am

What do I do when JW come to my door?
Present them with some facts on their origin,history,dogmas.
Jehovah’s Witnesses & blood transfusions is contradictory,they condemn blood but then go and use ‘fractions’,donated by thousands of Red Cross volunteers.They use 60% of the blood volume as broken down “fractions” then go on Bible thumping rants about how dangerous and sinful blood transfusions are.
As a diversion they go and trump the advantages of bloodless surgeries and try to grab the credit for it when in fact bloodless techniques were pioneered by non-JW doctors because of the shortage of blood donors (like with all the JW’s who use blood fractions but don’t donate back)
They are such hypocrites!

Danny Haszard
Jehovah Witness blood policy reform site

Katrina

posted November 9, 2009 at 2:45 am

Don’t answer the door if I know it’s them.
I am all too familiar with Jehovah’s Witnesses door to door recruitment pitches and ‘request for donations for their world-wide work’ and I have rejected them repeatedly. Due to prior rebuffs they keep coming back under ‘different covers’ without a identifying name tag (like LDS use),marked uniform or marked vehicle.
This and their use of underage children as props can make it difficult to determine who it is… friend or foe I don’t know.

Ed Chinn

posted November 9, 2009 at 6:21 am

I think my mother had the best approach. When religious people (of any stripe) knocked, Mom invited them in and listened. Upon hearing the first minute of their appeal, she would say, “Oh, I’m so glad you came. Let’s pray together right now.”
She (a Pentecostal) would drop to her knees and begin to pray earnestly and loudly. The visitors always quickly left.
We live in a free market of ideas. I am completely at peace with anyone who approaches me on the street to ask me for money. Sometimes I give. I never feel the slightest reticence or guilt about “no.”
Same goes for people who knock on my door and speak when I open. I am free to respond in whatever way the moment and my heart dictate. I office/work at home. So, I often say, “I’m sorry. I cannot talk. Good-bye.” If they hesitate, I tell them plainly to leave my property.

andrewbourne

posted November 9, 2009 at 7:20 am

When they ask do you read the Bible? My answer is in which language by the time they have to think about that I can shut my door !

Steve Lickley

posted November 9, 2009 at 7:48 am

Jehovah’s witnesses appear nice but they aren’t. Many are self righteous hypocrites who say but do not perform. they love telling others how to live their lives. Many are miserable because they are sick of waiting for end of the world. Some elders treat members like crap and are abusive, some drink and drive and secretly celebrate xmas.

Steve S

posted November 9, 2009 at 7:49 am

Ouch…
No fun to come to your doors!

tscott

posted November 9, 2009 at 7:50 am

“May I ask you a question right off?”
“My nicest neighbors, from serious Bible study, won’t cut their hair, you, serious Bible students, won’t let yours grow…..why?”

Steve S

posted November 9, 2009 at 8:01 am

…okay here is the dare, and its really scary. Say something nice about a Jehovah’s Witness!
I haven’t met many myself, but they were all nice, and willing to listen. I am sure they had an agenda, so do I, but evil is not the same thing having an agenda. Again on theology, sure they are confused and have some spotty origins, so are most Christian denominations…
Be nice, if you don’t like talking to people about the Bible, tell them, “I really appreciate what you are trying to do, I believe knowing God is the most important thing, but I don’t really like having conversations with people about Jesus, thanks anyway…”
Or, if you have the time and the desire, you could just talk to them. You will probably have to think through things you never have before, so you will grow, you may actually provoke them to deeper reflection, good for them, and you might actually make a new friend…
I actually had a really thought provoking conversation with some JW’s at the park once, I was new at a Vineyard Church and was beginning to hear ‘Kingdom” theology for the first time, and put two-and-two together about JW (Kingdom Hall). So I just asked them about it… cause I was actually interested in having the conversation!

Que

posted November 9, 2009 at 8:44 am

My take on the Jehovah’s Witnesses controversy:
I like to use the same rationale about smokers. Smokers have a right to smoke, but most people in the US anyway have now recognized the negative health effects of second-hand smoke and forbid smoking in public places. The Watchtower organization is like a smoker. It pollutes your mind and spirit when you join.
Then when you think it can’t get any worse, you are told you must blow smoke in everyone’s face who isn’t a JW by preaching to them. If you leave because you want to get healthy, you are shunned and no JWs care about your health, life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness.
Herein lies the danger,that the general public needs to know about!

Anonymous

posted November 9, 2009 at 8:49 am

Interesting question because a very good JW friend of mine was the main catalyst in my “prodigal son” return to Christ. He knew what he believed and conversations with him had me running back to the bible to do some real searching (which is where I found God, or where God revealed Himself to me). While they may have some strange, heretical beliefs, most of them are harmless enough and can actually make you learn more about God than you already thought you knew.
As for those that have been harmed by the religion, I am truly sorry. At the same time, I have no doubt harm is being done in some of our “Christian” churches as well.

David23

posted November 9, 2009 at 8:51 am

Jehovah’s Witnesses proselytizer commits assault on a minor in the door to door
SERIOUS

Pat

posted November 9, 2009 at 9:18 am

I live in an apartment complex, so I’ve never had this to happen. However, when they visit my parents’ home, my mother will sometimes open the door and listen to them respectfully, but usually not take their literature because she has enough to read already. My aunt on the other hand has invited them in and engaged them in conversation. They haven’t converted but at least there’s a relationship established. Personally, I don’t think there’s anything to feel guilty about if you do not engage them. Be led by the Spirit and not fear of your own inadequacies or a legalistic compulsion. I also would see no problem with two women in the home of single man. One of each (you and one woman) might be uncomfortable but I see no problem with two women in your home, but again, be led by the Spirit.

Gayle

posted November 9, 2009 at 9:59 am

Most Jehovah?s Witnesses are sincere. I know, I was there, very sincere. Most JWs don?t know much about their real organizational history and don?t have the time, energy or desire to read or study more (independent studying is banned), as they already have 5 JW meetings to study and prepare which becomes demanding.
They believe Armageddon is coming ?soon,? ?imminent? (now 130 yrs) and must go door to door to save themselves and others. With time (a decade or 2 or 3) most ?tire? out as real life does, or health or financial realities and the added burden by the organization and most of their children leave it. Most of the real life issues, they find the WTS is not truly helpful but the ?image? of the organization has priority so they keep up the facade with burdened loyalty.

John W Frye

posted November 9, 2009 at 10:01 am

While it not appropriate for a Jesus Creeder to be rude, it is very proper to be firm, and flat out say that you do not believe one bit of JW doctrine. When my mother and father were divorced, and my mother was hurting and looking for help, the JWs “love bombed” her into the cult…and my mother began to “recruit” my stepfather and me. I began learning JW teachings and I now classify them with these words from Paul–“godless myths and old wives’ tales.” I also agree with the comment above (barring some exceptional intervention of the Holy Spirit), that seeking to build relationships with JWs in the hopes to convert them is a fruitless task. The door-to-door JWs are not just nice laypeople; they are well-trained proselytizers.
As for two women in your home with you alone? I wouldn’t do it…by the mouth of two or three witnesses…you could get yourself into unwanted trouble IMO.

Micah

posted November 9, 2009 at 10:46 am

That’s wild. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen yesterday.
I always make the same offer… after they tell me I’m not a real Christian, I offer to come to the Hall with them next week and to go out to lunch afterward and discuss things we agreed on and things we didn’t agree on. Then, if they accept, I tell them my only condition is that the next week they come to my church, then go out to eat with me, and tell me the things they agreed with and didn’t agree with.
So far nobody’s taken me up on it, and they’ve never come back to my door. Ah well. Someday.

beckyr

posted November 9, 2009 at 10:56 am

I say “I have my own faith in Jesus that I’m secure in but thank you very much,” smile and close the door.

Your Name

posted November 9, 2009 at 11:13 am

If you’re capable of presenting persuasive biblical arguments to a JW, the more time they spend with you the less time they’ll have to spend with others who may be more vulnerable to their tactics. You will also be serving Christ in presenting truth to someone who needs to hear it.
Keep in mind, however, that many JWs are not only ideologically entrenched, but also heavily connected through family and friends. Conversion to Christianity usually has huge implications for their social network. For this reason, even if you can convince a JW intellectually of flaws in their world view, they may still be resistent for emotional and pragmatic reasons.
So don’t limit your conversation to doctrinal issues. Find out how much of their life has been, or is now, intertwined with other JWs.

Dave Leigh

posted November 9, 2009 at 11:15 am

oops. that last “your name” entry was mine.

Rick P.

posted November 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

Usually they ask if I want to do a Bible study and I say, “Sure. What do you want to know?” That puts them off balance from the get-go. Then I engage in a form of Paschal’s wager:
Me: I’m glad you stopped by. I was wondering about some things. If I do not become a JW, will I die and go to hell?
JW: No. We don’t believe in hell.
Me: Great! So that means if I DO become a JW, I’ll die and go to heaven, right?
JW: Well, not really. We don’t believe in heaven that way.
Me: Bummer. So there’s no hope?
JW: Oh, we believe that you can make it in the next life?
Me: Really? Well that’s good. So if I become a JW, then I’m guaranteed a place in the next life, right?
JW: Well, not really. We believe you have a chance at making it in the next life.
Me: Oh. So what do I have to do to have a guarantee?
JW: Well we don’t believe you can have a guarantee.
Me: Oh. So you’re selling cosmic lottery tickets then.
JW: We’re not selling anything.
Me: So you’re giving away lottery tickets. Basically, you are telling me that all you have to offer is a crap shoot that I’ll make it in the next life?
JW: We believe it is more that a ‘crap shoot.’ If you live your life right, then you will have a chance.
Me: Really? Like how.
JW: You have to read your Bible.
Me: I have. All the way through a number of times. Have you?
JW: Not really. But that’s not all. You have to go to church.
Me: I do. Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night Bible study, and various other special services. So I’m in, right?
(List continues with my performance either meeting or exceeding theirs.)
Me: Let’s cut to the chase here. So far everything you’ve listed, I’m already doing. By your own admission, I’m doing as well or better than you on all counts. You told me that I won’t die and go to hell if I do not become a JW and you are telling me that I’m already as good as you guys are without being a JW. So what do you have to offer me that I don’t already have?
JW: Uh….
Me: Now, here’s what I have to offer you – a guarantee. Look up 1 John 5:13 and read to me what it says.
JW: Our Bible is different…
Me: No matter. Read what YOUR Bible says.
JW: (Silently) It says hear that we can know we have eternal life.
Me: That’s right. YOUR Bible tells you that you can know you have eternal life. Do you want to know what else your Bible says?
And then I segue into a conversation. Lots of fun.

Mike

posted November 9, 2009 at 11:26 am

Let me say that I am appreciative of the respectful tenor of most of the comments here. We are not used to seeing that often online. I want to say that in general, most of us are well prepared for a theological discussion. That is what our midweek meeting is all about. But you’ll have to forgive us if we’re a little rusty. We rarely get to discuss theology because lay people are almost never conversant in it and especially in evangelical Christendom’s preferred topic: the trinity. I remember when I was a kid this was a common topic for discussion, but no more. We often have to convince people (and I’m talking about regular churchgoers) that their church teaches that God and Jesus are the same individual because they do not believe it intuitively and haven’t been thoroughly instructed in what the word ?trinity? means. On the rare occasion I get a clergyman who wants to engage on the subject, I am tempted to tell him that if believing this is the basis for salvation, then he needs to teach his flock about it, because they don’t believe it.

Sean

posted November 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm

You should simply respond the same way you would if Jesus came to your door. His apostles were not received well at all homes; nevertheless they were obedient to his command to “preach to all the inhabited earth”. (see also Matthew 20:19,20). As Paul said at Acts 20:20 ( International Standard Version (?2008)”I never shrank from telling you anything that would help you nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house”. Preaching in a church does nor reach unbelievers, so Jesus sent his followers to private homes and set the example himself. Simply mocking or posting silly conversations on the internet does not further true Christianity. Imitating Jesus sincere interest in his fellow man does, whether they are at your door or you are at theirs.

soren

posted November 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Before I became one of J.W.’s, I would often wonder why….if all the various churches, synagogues, etc. thought that they had ‘truth’ or were so-called ‘chosen people’….with teachings that would lead to God’s approval…….why would they not share that special knowledge with me. That is when I became curious and appreciative of J.W.’s when they knocked on my door.
Little did I realize, they were merely obeying Jesus’ command found at Matthew 28:19,20.
Not once in my early years, did any member of Christendom, Judaism, or Islam ever try to contact me with their ‘good news’. Later on, though, Mormons did,….but as usual, it was always two young men who are only a 2 year stint. Never did any other Mormons wish to help me with their truth.
My life has been totally enriched by association with the modern day Christian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. There is peace, unity, and joy. Our local congregation is ready to split again due to tremendous growth and interest.

Margarett

posted November 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm

We’re about as popular as the original Christians, but Christians we are.
I think you have the right idea of taking their literature, but think ahead about what you’re really interested in. We have them all, Blood, Trinity, Requirement, Paradise, …
Here’s an interesting point. All the passages used to ‘support’ the trinity are ‘also’ from when Jesus was on earth. However, here are two from when he’s in heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:27-28 Rev 3:12
Regards and God Bless you.

Landers

posted November 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Talk to them. I was one of those women freezing at your door once.
The love and kindness displayed by the person on the inside of the house stood out in my mind. I do not remember exactly what was said, but I remember my partner being rather rude in answer to their queries, and they responded with nothing but kindness. They gave me an invite to their church that I politely stuck in my Bible and thought nothing more of, until the “right” day when it fell out at my feet.
I went to the church, I am now a saved Christian living in the grace of God and so much happier!!! I think it might have (literally) saved my earthly life and I know it has saved my soul.
And for those of you arguing about the Trinity… Set aside the preconceived ideas and just read the Bible. Just sit and read the gospels. That is all it took for me – the concept is woven throughout Scripture and is so plain and clear.

Your Name

posted November 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm

They are only doing what JESUS set out in the BIBLE

Your Name

posted November 9, 2009 at 6:06 pm

When Jehovah’s witnesses come to your door they are looking for people who want to know more about the Bible and the hope it holds out to mankind. We are taught to be polite at the door and hopefully we all are. If you don’t want to talk to us just say you are not interested and we will move on. We would welcome a discussion or a question. Generally there are few of these. If you are a pastor or a religious teacher you should be familiar with 1 Peter 3:15, “Quietly trust yourself to christ your Lord and if anybody asks why you believe as you do be ready to tell him, and do it in a gentle and respectful way.” Quoted from the Living Bible. I would say that applies to all Christians, does it not? Remember 1 Thess 5:21 “Make sure of all things, hold fast to what is fine.” NW Translation. All translations are clear on this point.

Jay W

posted November 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Answers 2,3,4, are for the most part false. Outside of coming across angry and judgmental, no real hope is offered by this person. I think the last name fits the quality of the info.
As for what I look for when I visit someone?s home, I feel that I should respect a person?s view. I don?t have a secret agenda. If my goal was to convert someone I would admit it. Eventually a person will find out your true motive. I enjoy finding out how Bible readers view the scriptures. I return to visit many people who have no desire to become a JW but enjoy the give and take about how we can imitate Jesus better, which helps to take the hate for others out of our personality. Neighbors will obviously get along better if we respect each others views.

amazed

posted November 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm

here they come.. the witness haters… and of course the keyboard confident pastors and alledged skilled bible appreciators.
One question for those not Jehovah’s Witnesses:
You as a Pastor or claimed christian… Will you are your religion promote WAR?! a simple quesion but pretty much eliminates all who claim to follow christ that will sponsor war.
Jesus stated that his followers would be known primarily for love among themsleves, neighbor and enemy. WAR never intergrates and can be linked to true christianity.
you promote WAR and no way possible you are a follower of Christ!!!
simple and true

BJ

posted November 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm

To the JWs reading this:
Why did the nice ladies at my door refuse to take some of my own materials in exchange for theirs? They kindly said, “I’m sorry but we cannot accept any materials from you.” All I wanted to give them was my card and my website where I discuss the Bible and Christian living.
If that is standard protocol, it’s a real turn-off and sends a real strong message of “We’re not interested in hearing alternative viewpoints.” Is this typical? Why?
Sincerely, BJ

soren

posted November 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Was Jesus anxious to hear the teachings of the nations round about? Or was he anxious to declare the good news of the kingdom?
J.W.’s are not searching for ‘the truth’, but are using their time, energy, and personal funds to declare ‘the truth’. Jesus said at John 8:32: “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”
J.W.’s are so confident that they have found the truth that they do what no other so-called Christian religion will do. Therefore, they do need to look any further,…..though they constantly hear contrary beliefs by neighbors, workmates, classmates, teachers, relatives, etc.
Illustration:……If you found the love of your life and marry her or him…….need you look further?

Your Name

posted November 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I just put in a post and did not put my name on it. I quoted 1 Peter 3:15. On the question posed by Jeremy Berg as to what to do if we call. By all means listen to us or question us on the subject raised or any that you are interested in. If the weather is rainy or cold and if you would like to talk with us please do invite us in. If that is not comfortable let us know you would rather not discuss this with us and we will leave and not take offense. As to converting us, we have the same obligation to consider your point of view as we would like you to consider ours. The apostle Paul said christians should all speak in agreement (1 Corrinthians 1:10). Sounds easy but it’s not. Still we should try to understand God’s purpose. Incidently, all of Jehovah’s witnesses are “lay people”. Some of us are appointed to be overseers in our congregations, but we have no paid ministers.

Robin

posted November 10, 2009 at 12:25 am

Do whatever you feel is necessary regarding your interactions with Jehovah’s Witnesses. 99.9% of the time it will be a pleasent interaction with them as long as you keep it civil.
Regarding Danny Hazard, or Daniel Hazzard, he is an avowed hater of Jehovah’s Witnesses, much as the Pharisees of Jesus day hated him. But no detractor has ever stopped this work, not even Satan and his representatives on earth, like Hitler, Stalin, and Mr. Hazard.
We always come out on top, always stronger. It is one of the traits of true worship.

Mike Beidler

posted November 10, 2009 at 1:33 am

During my college years at the University of Michigan, one particular JW engaged me in Bible study/debate/discussion every Wednesday morning for a 2-year period, bringing with him a new partner every time.
After a few weeks, I believe we came to a mutual understanding that we wouldn’t convert each other, but it was a fascinating exchange of theologies. From what I understand, after it becomes clear that someone is solid in their faith, a JW is not supposed to return. Yet return he did. We became good acquaintances (if not friends) and our several hours/week challenged both of us to investigate the foundations of our respective faiths. I also suspect he used me as a “wake-up call” for his less experienced friends, giving them an idea of where “mature” Protestant Christians stand insofar as doctrine is concerned.
Whenever a JW (or a Mormon for that matter) comes to my door, I consider it a grand opportunity! Welcome them in, I say! I’ve received a considerable amount of free literature (including a copy of their Reasoning from the Scriptures and their standard commentary on Revelation, which has proved considerably useful in understanding their doctrine. I’ve also taken LDS missionaries out to a free breakfast at Denny’s and discussed theology. Trust me, it’s not a waste of your time. It could, however, be a waste of theirs, and (depending on your viewpoint) that’s a good thing. ;-)

Jessica

posted November 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

(“Regarding Danny Hazard, or Daniel Hazzard, he is an avowed hater of Jehovah’s Witnesses, much as the Pharisees of Jesus day hated him. But no detractor has ever stopped this work, not even Satan and his representatives on earth, like Hitler, Stalin, and Mr. Hazard”)
HELLO! The JW defender just slandered, another poster as:”Satan,Hitler,Stalin” this is called shooting the messenger,and the Bible calls in ‘reviling’.
What is it about the Watchtower promoted 1914 date prophecy that is false?

Believer

posted November 10, 2009 at 10:19 am

The Jehovah’s Witnesses on one hand fill their books and lectures with details about how evil and corrupt every other religion is, but then when theirs is exposed as corrupt they fall back on how it’s “voluntary” to be a member, and how it’s not nice to say nasty things about them, and how they’re being “persecuted.”
Jehovah’s Witnesses are unpopular for many reasons, none of which matched the early church except for non-political involvement, which is not exclusive to them at all. They are like carnival hucksters preaching the need to become a Jehovah’s Witness or die at Armageddon.
They say they promote good family life? Only until you disagree with the leadership in Brooklyn on the slightest of points, and then they completely divide and destroy the family. Then they write hypocritical articles like the new July 2009 Awake! “The Bible’s Viewpoint – Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?” and make themselves look open-minded and progressive, but practice the most destructive forms of shunning of all religions if you disobey the leadership’s ever-changing doctrines, dates and rules.
Anyone can be persecuted, which proves nothing if you are a religion invented in the late 1800s by a man who was into pyramidology, numerology, and who stood on the top of a building with a white sheet waiting to be raptured. 130 years later, they are still awaiting a false hope. –

Jay W

posted November 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm

BJ
It has to do with what exactly you are offering. It is often just that persons opinion not to take the info you offered, I would have taken it.
Jay W

soren

posted November 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Dear Believer,
In your final statement….you mention that the J.W.’s are awaiting a false hope.
In other words, you disagree with Jesus at Matthew 5:5 where he quotes from Psalm 37:29 that the meek shall inherit the earth.
And that you disagree with Jesus at John 14:2,3 where he promises his soon-to-be annointed followers a place for them in heaven.
Could it be, that you entertain these promises of Jesus as false hopes. J.W.’s do not.

Billy

posted November 10, 2009 at 4:32 pm

It is nice to see Christians take the Bible seriously and preach it to others. Keep it up JW’s!

Anthony

posted November 10, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I ask them about the millions of dollars paid out in phedophile lawsuits and if the donations were used as part of the payment.
If they are totally unaware of the lawsuits, I show them the article from the local paper and ask how could you not know this about your own organization? Why didn’t your leaders inform you of this? You know this makes you look uniformed and whatever your reason for coming to my door suspect.
or they deny it
I invite them to call their headquarters in Brooklyn for confirmation as I did.)
If they do know about the lawsuits, I ask them how is it not hypocritical to point out the Catholic churches phedophile issues but say nothing in their literature about their own. I cannot respect and/or read the literature of any organization that operates within such double standards.

dave

posted November 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I guess I would ask myself, after reading all these statements, Who is my neighbor? my attitude and response hopefully would follow that question.

Gerald

posted November 11, 2009 at 2:30 am

The A,B,C 1 2 3 of JW Issues
Jehovah’s Witnesses would be obscure and no one would say anything negative about them except they cause these problems:
1) break up families under the guise of Jesus said so.
2) let kids die from no blood transfusion then say it’s from God and then have all kinds of you can use blood parts loopholes.
3) go door to door and lie about why they are really there say it’s to encourage Bible reading when they want to get literature in your hands ask for donation and then come back bothersome because you took literature just to be nice to them.
Get rid of these 3 things and you will do fine.

Gerald

posted November 11, 2009 at 2:33 am

The A,B,C 1 2 3 of JW Issues
1) break up families under the guise of Jesus said so.
Get rid of these 3 things and you will do fine.

God's Tenant

posted November 11, 2009 at 5:37 am

Jehovah’s Witnesses come to our homes with a pretense that is fraudulent from the get-go.
You pitch that you are doing Jesus work (lie) you use all sorts of conversation starters to try to put us at ease,con and scam us into joining your sect,that is no better than any other.
Jehovah’s Witnesses will tell you their Kingdom Halls are for “worship”, but their “worship” consists of being taught how to overcome objections to the sales pitches they give at your doors and how to try and get their extremely deceptive literature into your hands.
Their Kingdom Hall meetings are to bolster their elitist teachings that they have the only religion on earth that pleases God,only they are being blessed by God and that all other people on the planet but them will be destroyed soon by their God.

soren

posted November 11, 2009 at 7:27 am

Illustration:
A father comes home from a day at work and rewards one of his children for being obedient, thoughtful, and kind.
The other child looks on. Rather then seeking his father’s approval, he gripes, complains, and accuses.

soren

posted November 11, 2009 at 7:29 am

In other words……a tanty……a tantrum……a spiritual tantrum that is.

Rebecca

posted November 11, 2009 at 12:49 pm

“Watch out for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inside are ravenous wolves”–Mt 7:15
Lots of Jehovah’s Witnesses like my own mother have golden hearts but the watchtower cult bosses are predatory Charles Manson types

Dutch McGuinnes

posted November 11, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Having been one for 39 years it is evident that detractors and failed witnesses use the same tactic in religious discussions that are used in politics. If you can’t defend your faith or converse intelligently on the issues, then make personal attacks. Words like “cult, brain washed, child killers” are common when real doctrinal discussions are
so difficult for nominal Christians. Ex-witnesses who have been overcome by gross sin are hardly likely “prophets” to hang ones future on. For both Scott and Jeremy, grab your Bible and have a discussion, defending your beliefs from your bible, while listening to their explanations. You may learn something about life, the future and whether your church teachings are really Bible based. If we are demon possed like Jesus was accused of being, how can we go door to door with a good attitude knowing we may meet ex failed witnesses like Gerald and still have a positive outlook about the future. Jehovah’s true scriptural hope provides that outlook as we witness to strangers, as his Holy Spirit directs the successful fullfillment of the prophecy at Matt24:14 that the good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth until the end comes. Dutch.

Randall Davis

posted November 12, 2009 at 8:46 am

To:Dutch,
Your dialogue with Christians and rebuttal’s to Jehovah’s Witnesses dogmas is in the prior 40 post many include scripture support.
Try reading some of them
[Dutch said,”Ex-witnesses who have been overcome by gross sin are hardly likely “prophets” to hang ones future on.” ]
HUH?

jd

posted November 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Only those who are truly touched by the Spirit of the true and living God can know the way. Call yourself what ever you want. If it is not of God, it will be revealed in time. JD

JD

posted November 19, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I all most forgot the real question! I treat JW’s with kindness and tell them I am not a beliver in their faith. I also ask them why the perdictions the WT made in the past about the end of time did not come true as they said. You would be very suprised at how many of todays JWs don’t even know of this error of thier past fathers of faith.

God's Tenant

posted November 22, 2009 at 5:26 am

pat grimm

posted November 23, 2009 at 7:51 am

I’ve invited Witnesses into my home a few time and at first it was ok, then the truth came out. They do not believe that Jesus is the savior, but they hide that, they hid the their believe that Jesus is an “angel” and hid the fact that they do not believe in the Holy Spirit of God. They were deceptive. When I told them about my experience in receiving Jesus they said it was from Satan. They deny Christ and the Holy Spirit but they don’t tell you that right off. One Witness read the Bible using his finger to follow a passage and actually changed the words as he was reading. Did he think I was stupid? Well I believe the Jehovah’s think every is less than they are, not Christ like. So if any Jehovah Witness tells you that they do believe in Jesus, please question them deeply, or, as I do now, walk away.

pat grimm

posted November 29, 2009 at 8:14 am

I have a brother in law who is a Witness, I love him, but he is brainwashed. That is what the Witnesses do to their flock. However just one of many points to be made about this organization, they teach that works will get you into heaven. Wrong, it is belief in Jesus, the Savior, and only that can bring us to salvation. He already died for our sins, without Him we can do NOTHING to see heaven. All we need do is love one another and believe in Jesus with all of our hearts, that is ALL. All have fallen short of the glory of God, and our righteousness is but dirty rags. My brother in law does all sorts of errands for his fellow Jehovah’s and leaves his wife alone. There isn’t enough works in the entire universe that will allow us to reach God the Father, only His Son.

Jay W

posted December 7, 2009 at 12:50 pm

JWs DO believe that Jesus is our only hope, our savior.
JWs DO believe in the Holy Spirit.
JWs DO NOT believe that works are what is needed to get to heaven.
The Bible does say that faith WITHOUT works is dead.

pat grimm

posted January 7, 2010 at 7:34 am

To JW – I would like to think that this religion believes in what you say it does, but the description on this web site itself tells a different story. Tell me, do the Witnesses believe that Jesus is an angel? Do they believe that He is not God, but something lower than God? Do they believe that God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one, but separate, does that concept enter into your beliefs? If you are honest about your religion people will accept it and not denigrate it as they do.

Susan Light

posted January 13, 2010 at 4:33 pm

To JW
JWs Do not believe Jesus is their only hope. They believe he is the archangel Michael. They believe the work of being a baptized member of the Jehovah Witnesses is what saves them. They believe the Holy Spirit is the way God moves on earth, not a part of the Trinity, an intelligent being and God himself. The bible does say that faith without works is dead. The bible also says that Jesus Christ is the way, the Truth, and the life; and that no one comes to the Father except through him. There is no mention made of one religion having the Truth. I know what the Jws teach, I have studied with them when I was in high school. I don’t know if you are a JW or if you are studying with them. If you are connected to this organization, I encourage you to do your own bible study. And please be honest about what you learn in your book study. A real witness of Jehovah God should not mislead people about what you believe.

Rosie

posted July 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

*You’d think a christian paster would have the bible training to change the “context (standing at the door freezing)” by displaying christian hospitality
*You’d think a christian theologian would know that Jesus spoke to “well-meaning laypersons” such as the woman at the well who just went to get some water but Jesus engaged with her in really quite deep spiritual discussion. Hmm, I wonder if it was a dilema for Christ.
*Strange that trained theologian doesn’t know that showing kindness and hospitality should be a reflex ” Is it appropriate to invite them inside? Can they accept and come in?” Jehovah’s have no such dilema, if invited to enter a home for a spiritual discussion they accept without hesitation (despite being uninstructed “laypeople”)
*Who on the planet is buying that Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t want to “more willing to sit down and chat” about bible themes? Which planet does the speak think we are living in when everybody knows the problem isn’t getting Jehovah’s Witnesses to talk but getting them to stop talking about their beliefs!
*”Should I feel guilty when I miss an opportunity to “witness” back to them” Yes, you should be thoroughly ashamed.
No matter, untrained, laypeople that are full of spirit are preaching the word. 7 million Jehovah’s Witnesses and growing at a rate of 746 new witnesses a day.

pat grimm

posted August 22, 2010 at 7:37 am

The one dominant fact concerning Jehovah Witnesses are that they do not believe that Jesus is God incarnate. They consider Christians pagans who worship three Gods. This is merely a misunderstanding of their part of Holy Scripture. There exists the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, not three Gods as the Jehovah’s claim but the Godhead. One does not pray only to the Father, but through the Son with the power of the Holy Spirit. Any and all ritual, such as not taking a blood transfusion or not celebrating holidays are not relevant to Jesus’ message. His message is to believe in Him and thus will see the Father. It is a subtle and at times difficult concept. The Jehovah Witnesses have made some of their own rules and laws, which if they work for them, that is fine, but they have no connection with Holy Scripture, and in reality do not believe in the fullness of Jesus. When they pray, they pray to Jehovah, not to the Lord of Lords and this my friends is going down the wrong path. The reference to a Jehovah is an Old Testament word, and leaves out the all important deity of Jesus Christ, he is not a spirit being, he is God. My brother in law is a Jehovah and is a very confused individual. A relative of his recently died because she would not accept a blood transfusion. This was taken out of context from the Bible. The Jehovah don’t seem to read the New Testament, but the Watchtower which is in conflict with the final words of the Bible, “See that you do not change one word of this book” There are so many Biblical references that this religion uses which are misconstrued. They are not entering the Door,which is Jesus, but are, in fact, if one looks at them closely, Jesus deniers, but would never say this outright and therefore deceive.

pat grimm

posted August 22, 2010 at 7:40 am

To Susan Light – Where in the Scripture does it say that Jesus Christ is Michael the Archangel? What book, what verse? Someone tell me this please.