Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

The Best Little Coffeemaker in the World

posted by Scot McKnight

AeroPress.jpg

I haven’t talked about this coffee maker in a long time, so it’s time to inform my readers of a coffee maker.
AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker
, hands down, the best coffee maker for the workplace — not quite as good as espresso, better than French press, and much better than any kind of drip machine. It’s cheap, it’s easy to clean, and it makes a nice coffee.
Prior to class one of my students comes by and I make him a cup of coffee, then one for myself, and we both wander off to class … he’s more awake and I’m hepped up even more.

Chad Hall

posted October 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Scot,
I bought one of these (via Amazon) back in the summer after reading about it here. I have to say that I agree with you totally. So simple, so good. Perfect coffee maker.

Stephen Mook

posted October 12, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Do you need a microwave for this coffee maker?

corey

posted October 12, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Scot,
I also bought one of these based on your recommendation last year. Fantastic, especially with really good coffee.

pberry

posted October 12, 2009 at 5:10 pm

How is cleanup compared to other coffeemakers?

Scot McKnight

posted October 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm

pberry,
1. Toss out grinds and small paper filter.
2. Clean off plunger (if you think you need to).
Done.

Erika Haub

posted October 12, 2009 at 5:13 pm

My hubby bought this for me for my birthday a month ago and we have not brewed coffee since. At a party at our house yesterday, Doug was bringing everyone into the kitchen to see how it works. We are totally hooked, and the cleanup is WAY easier than French Press.

CTM

posted October 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Not available in Canada. Sad, I say, sad. eh :)

David Reeves

posted October 12, 2009 at 9:56 pm

So do you add the water already heated? or does this thing plug in? you got my curiosity aroused

Scot McKnight

posted October 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Good question: water has to be heated to put it in the AeroPress. I use microwaved water.

Mary

posted October 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm

That’s a good reminder. Some of us haven’t seen that coffee maker in awhile. :)

nitika

posted October 13, 2009 at 3:12 am

Just a warning… This thing is essentially a giant syringe… could lead to harder drugs :)
My husband claims it takes more beans to make an Americano with the aeropress of equal strength and volume to a french press brew. Has anyone else kept track?

Colin

posted October 13, 2009 at 11:07 am

I am also a member of the AeroPress club… I think I bought it because of one of your previous accolades. I am a believer.
What sort of coffee do you find works best? Is it still Fat Cat, or do you experiment with different blends?
What would you consider the sweet spot for water temperature and brew time? I’ve been varying mine to try and tame a rather sour espresso blend and found that 180F water with short plunge times (~15-20 sec) work well.

Bob Smallman

posted October 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

Because I’m the only coffee drinker in our home and any kind of brewer is overkill, I bought one of these gadgets when you mentioned it a while back. It’s terrific. With some experimentation I have developed a microwave routine for heating water to the exact ideal temp. Cleanup, as some have noted, is as simple as running the pieces under the faucet for a second before putting away.

revkevcollison

posted October 13, 2009 at 11:22 am

I also got an AeroPress (as a gift) based on your prior recommendation. Three weeks ago I broke the glass carafe on our 12 cup automatic coffee maker. I haven’t replaced it, because I hardly miss it. If you’re only brewing for one or two, the AeroPress is all you need.