Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Snow Leopard (cheers!) and Safari 4 (boo!)

posted by Scot McKnight

Safari.jpgApple announced Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard
; it’s awesome. We got the family pack and it works great.

But, everyone has been yapping about how good Safari 4 is (see cool picture of one of its cool visual screens), so I moved everything over to Safari 4 and have to say this: Safari 4 is a bust for me. It crashed a dozen or so times the last three days, mostly when I was dealing with my blog (Movable Type, Beliefnet’s site) and I have migrated back to Firefox.

Anyone having the same problem?

ChrisB

posted September 8, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I don’t know what version I have (I’ve had it about 15 months), but Safari frequently crashes when I visit Blogger.

RJS

posted September 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Safari 4 hasn’t crashed yet for me … on a PC though.

Jonathan

posted September 8, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Safari 4 on Snow Leopard is now my primary browser, and I’m not noticing any unusual amount of crashing. Of course, I use the ClickToFlash plugin to block Flash content, which is the primary cause of crashes.
Any insight from the crash logs? (Go to your Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder and look for recent ones whose name starts with “Safari”.)

Chad Hall

posted September 8, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Scot,
No problems with Safari 4, but plenty with Snow Leopard — my 2 year-old printer is now useless until the driver is put into the next update; I had problems with photos not being recognized; etc.

Kenny Johnson

posted September 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I’m a PC guy, but Chrome has become my browser of choice. Fast and simple. I like it a lot.

Dan Haugh

posted September 8, 2009 at 6:03 pm

It happened 4 times today and many times over the weekend. Still not sure what the problem is, but if it keeps up I am switching to Mozilla Firefox.

Kansas Bob

posted September 8, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Try Firefox.

Danny Zacharias

posted September 8, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Safari 4 for some reason did not come with the latest version of Flash. I’d suggest upgrading Flash to see if it helps out. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/adobeflashplayer.html

Bob Smallman

posted September 8, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I’ve been using Safari 4.03 since it came out without problems (though I’m running it on Tiger). I plan to wait for 10.6.1 to be released before switching to Snow Leopard. But I’m getting antsy! Looks like all my apps should work OK.
Chad (4), I know this is not a Mac-help site, but there are some workarounds for printers that don’t have up-to-date drivers — though HP printers seem to be problematic for many. You might want to check out http://www.macworld.com/article/142631/2009/09/snowleopard_printing.html

Bob Smallman

posted September 8, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Ten minutes after writing comment #9 above, Safari crashed on me! I can’t remember the last time that happened. This is obviously a dangerous place to be! :)

CD-Host

posted September 8, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Well as long as we are on bible bloggers and Snow Leopard if anyone is having problem with MacPorts after upgrading I posted the solution to my blog:

Brad Boydston

posted September 9, 2009 at 1:25 am

I keep hearing that programs never crash on Macs — stable platform and all that. (Go back to Firefox for a few months until they work out the compatibility issues and then try it again. You’re probably just ahead of the wave.) :-)

fred pfisterer

posted September 9, 2009 at 6:46 am

I upgraded to Snow Leopard and in addition to not being able top use my HP printer I cannot download music from emusic using Safari. I have3 to do so in Firefox. any advice?

William Cheriegate

posted September 9, 2009 at 9:40 am

Never had a single problem, both with Safari on MacBook and Safari
on the PC at work. Make sure you did everything right and try again.
All you need is to see the display of a few websites on both browsers,
there’s no comparison.

Eric

posted September 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I’ve been using Safari 4 on both PC and Mac (But not Snow Lepord…yet) I’ve never had a problem with it. A few crashes on the PC, but that’s to be expected…and a lot less problems than with IE 8!

Tim B

posted September 10, 2009 at 7:24 am

Not yet felt the need for a Leopard. I’m still happy with Tiger 10.4.11 on my Intel iMac.
Safari 4 never crashes but I have constant problems with Firefox (3.0.3), “freezing” at least once a day, when I have to quit and restart to unfreeze it. Yet I still prefer Firefox! Probably because I’m so used to it.

Alex

posted February 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm

FWIW, I’ve been using Safari 4 on Snow Leopard (latest patches) for two months now at work and it crashes regularly. Boo! I can see one tab crashing, but it shouldn’t take the whole browser down if they really re-engineered it versus just a lame plug-in bandaid.

hf

posted November 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

YES! Always. Safari 4 crashes constantly.