Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

A Surprising Delight (with an offer of a prize)

posted by Scot McKnight

Shea.jpgI had a riot reading Ammon Shea’s Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages
. There are two parts to this book — there is the personal story of the experience of reading 8-10 hours a day, holed up in a library in NYC, consuming large quantities of espresso — he says a thermos full by noon on most days — and getting headaches from all that reading.

Then there is his deposit of words from each letter in the alphabet — so 26 chps of funny words — and his funny comments.

Both his own story and the words he finds were equally informative and entertaining. I’ll keep this book near my desk just for the fun of it. 21,730 pages, 59 million words, 137.72 pounds of paper, 2.5 million quotations, and 20 volumes — big ones, too. He did it all, and his effort is worth our reading.

Whoever comes up with the funniest sentence with two or more of the following words will win a prize.

Some of my favorite words:

Avidulous: somewhat greedy.
Balter: to dance clumsily.
Bayard: a person armed with the self-confidence of ignorance.
Fard: to paint the face with cosmetics, so as to hide blemishes. (As in “she went out to fard.”)
Gound: the gunk that collects in the corners of the eyes.
Homodoxian: a person who has the same opinion as you. (A denominational trait.)
Kakistocracy: government by the worst citizens.
Minimifidian: a person who has the bare minimum of faith (which Calvinists begrudge of Anabaptists and Arminians).
Nod-crafty: given to nodding the head with an air of great wisdom. (Surely someone will bring in the word emergent here.)
Paracme: the point at which one’s prime is past.
Peccability: capacity for sinning.
Philodox: a person in love with his own opinion.
Redeless: not knowing what to do in an emergency, and I thought of Barney Fife.
Superfidel: overly credulous; believing too much (which Anabaptists and Arminians think of Calvinists).

Sympatetic: a companion one walks with, Calvinist or Anabaptist or Arminian.

Kozak

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Philo’s philodox docs were redeless re: the Alexandrine’s malady, and so, though they didn’t know beans about farding, they dipped into the makeup to cover more gound.

Brian in NZ

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Imagine having that much time available to do something like that!

Brian in NZ

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I should have added – not to mention the inclination or determination

Rick in Texas

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:38 pm

A great set of words. “Fard” reminded me of how my brother used to casually comment to people about a police officer who issued a ticket to a woman because she was farding while driving her car. People always looked incredulously at the thought that farding while driving was against the law, and of course always asked how the officer could tell. The answer was “By looking at her”, which only made the dialogue get funnier. Eventually he would feign surprise and say, “Oh, did you misunderstand what I said?”

Scot McKnight

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Brian, when he began he was a furniture mover in NYC. But, as I read the book it seems he was no longer doing that… I didn’t have enough facts to put it all together.
Rick, folks don’t “fard” as much these days while in the car, but they do “text.”

Bill Giovannetti

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:53 pm

A beloved professor not redeless,
Keeps watch o’er emergent nod-crafti-ness, [you asked for it!!!!!]
“Lest thou reach thy paracme…
“Never fard peccability!
“Nor conceal bayard-icity!”
“But, let us balter in love toward homodoxity!”

Josh Linton

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:58 pm

The poor bayard stumbled out of his balter upon noticing a beautiful woman he wanted to approach; so, wiping away the gound from his eye he stepped her direction forgetting the years that had pushed him beyond his paracme.

RJS

posted August 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Ah Bill – but only a philodox would consider a community of homodoxian companions to be the ideal end toward which we balter in love. It seems to me that a kakistocracy is a government populated by homodoxians and led by an avidulous philodox.

Ann

posted August 6, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Rick in Texas, I simply cannot imagine your brother saying that! well, yeah, I can!

Ann

posted August 6, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Though we too soon approach paracme
As seen in our baltering and seeing too poorly
To perceive the gound-like logs of our peccability
Or to fard sufficiently to disguise
The ravages of time
Yet we strive, perhaps avidulously, not to succumb
To believing the bayards
who proclaim that kakistocracy is inevitable.
(poetry in honor of Tom, Rick’s brother :o)

Bill Giovannetti

posted August 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm

RJS…
My brain now officially hurts.
Thanks.

Bill Giovannetti

posted August 6, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I just read some of these comments to my wife, and she gave me the dreaded wifely eye-roll, coupled with muttering about geek-humor. I just thought you should know…
And, dear RJS, could we not make a case for baltering toward loving homodoxity from:
?Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.? Romans 12:16, NKJV.
and…
?I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.? Philippians 4:2, NKJV.

RJS

posted August 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Bill,
Ah – in essentials and in love … I would say that John 17:23 makes the case most strongly.

Dean Nelson

posted August 7, 2009 at 6:58 am

Ah, my first time blogging on the Jesus Creed website. I must admit I am a homodoxian whose temptation in this posting is the peccability of being nod-crafty inorder to be accepted as an emergent guru. But why not admit as a first time poster that I am a Fard? Lets face it, after a few postings you would begin to see my blemishes as a avidulous Bayard. So before trying to say something profound why not take the Ground out of my own eye before addressing the plank in my brother?s. I read this Jesus Creed blog daily, banter with the people in my congregation about insights I find on this web, but never blog for fear of baltering with fellow emergents. Why not get it out in the open, on this my first blog, that I am nothing but a minimifidian whose paracme as an emergent (lets face it I am 48 years old, went to Bethel Seminary, took Systematic Theology and belong to a denomination) and I am still recovering from the peccability of being a superfidel philodox? Top that off why not admit I am a Scandanavian who balters both on the dance floor and also in the techy web world? I guess my only hope for being accepted in this emergent world is that you are a sympatetic Kakistocracy before Jesus. So to you emergent blogging guru world, I feel like Barney Fife, a little redeless, wanting acceptance and the prize of best use of these words even though that may sound a little aviduluous.

Rog

posted August 7, 2009 at 7:34 am

Wake up call: realizing that most of the baltering bayards you know are also homodoxians!
New song title (apologies to Leonard Cohen): Balter Me to the Paracme of Philodox

Dean Nelson

posted August 7, 2009 at 10:25 am

exactly Rog, I agree with your opinion

MatthewS

posted August 7, 2009 at 11:16 am

In the health care debate, both sides accuse the other of redelessly baltering into a kakistocracy.

Dave Zimmerman

posted August 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm

“Blogging bayards given to homodoxian nod-craft, stroking their virtual chins in a balter of superfidel philodox, are, in my humble opinion, the seeds of kakistocracy.”
That was fun. Thanks, Scot!