Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

What to do with …

posted by Scot McKnight

Chipmunk.jpgOur chipmunks? We’ve got them everywhere. I wonder at times if we don’t have the ideal conditions for a chipmunk breeding ground: a porch under which they can burrow, birds who knock gobs of bird seed onto the ground, and a garage in which there is a bucket of bird seed which these little critters have discovered — and out of which they sometimes jump and startle us when we walk into the garage.

The other day I counted six under our bird feeder — and they fill their mouths and go put the seeds in their pantry and return to do the same all over again — all day long!

Well, what to do with them? Any advice?

Heath White

posted June 10, 2009 at 2:45 pm

In my last house, I had a chipmunk infestation. I bought a have-a-heart trap, trapped 27 of the critters, and deported them to the woods a few miles away. You are going to have to keep your spare birdseed in a sealed container, though.

JPLakin

posted June 10, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Get a cat. Ha. Just kidding, really. They actually make pretty good pets. I had one in high school until my mom finally made me get rid of it. It kept running up the curtains…. Good luck.

dopderbeck

posted June 10, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Not a cat. A big, slobbering dog. My dog loves to chase chipmunks. Someday she’ll catch one, and then we’ll all be in for a surprise.

pds

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm

peelingdragonskin.wordpress.com
Preach to them like St. Francis?
In addition, you may need to seal the areas where they are a problem.
If they don’t respond to your preaching, I can think of some other options, of which St. Francis might not approve . . .

Bob Young

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Rotisserie.

RJS

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Feed them, watch them, enjoy them.

JPLakin

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Black snakes will do the job as well…. they will go down in the hole after them… Then you will have to look at it as helping the snakes to prosper, not of killing chipmunks.

K. Paris

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I cannot believe that someone hasn’t suggested that you use them as inspiration for a new book! There has got to be a book about following Jesus in their example somewhere. ;-)
Seriously though, I’m with RJS on this one.

Travis Greene

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Kenton

posted June 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Teach three of them to sing?

Peggy

posted June 10, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I’m also with RJS on this one: appreciate them.
Now, you can appreciate them a little more (or less, as it were) by sealing your bird seed supply.
My cats would have a very good time “playing” with them. They only “hunt” species that are really annoying — like obnoxious jays that harangue them for days on end by yelling and swooping and taunting them.
Of course, if we are late with their breakfast or dinner, we are likely to find a puff of blue (non-Parakeet, of course) feathers around….

Jay Wermuth

posted June 10, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Chipmunks are more fun than half the birds out there. I would rather watch them scurry around collecting the seeds than some boring sparrow or crow. Enjoy them.

Mark Baker-Wright

posted June 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Can they sing a passable verse of “Witch Doctor”?

E.G.

posted June 10, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Thank the Lord for His wonderful (and often quite cute) creations, and post more pictures of the lovable little beasts.
(P.S., are any of them making friends with the blue parakeet at your feeder? I see a book title for a sequel…)

Sue

posted June 10, 2009 at 6:37 pm

If they are Presbyterian or Lutheran chipmunks, you could put them through confirmation class. According to the joke, they won’t show up again at least until graduation Sunday… ;)

Gary Feister

posted June 10, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Love them. God is teaching you how to pastor charismatics. :)

Mark Eb.

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm

We’ve had to trapped them because of where they burrowed and take them out of the city. Picked up a small animal trap for $6 at Harbor
Freight. We use peanut butter bread.
We also have had to hang bird feeders in such a way that the squirrels did eat all the feed.
In Christ,
Mark Eb

Alex McKnight

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I trapped 21 one summer and dumped them up the street. Probably some came back the second time. I used apples for bait.

Norm

posted June 10, 2009 at 11:53 pm

My father in-law has a similar problem. Peanut butter in a plain mouse trap or rat trap depending on their size. Or, I’ve heard it said using a five gallon bucket filled half full of water with some sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. Lean a 2×4 so they can climb up it and they’ll fall in the water and drown. Of course, a 22 cal. works nicely if you have a scope and agreeable neighbors – or not.

Peter

posted June 11, 2009 at 1:38 am

Yes, it’s true, we should be thankful for all God’s creatures.
But remember: Predators need to eat, too.
:-)

Burly

posted June 11, 2009 at 7:22 am

Get yourself a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time. Or just let ‘em run free …

JW

posted June 11, 2009 at 8:36 am

And does anyone have a suggestion for Woodchucks? We have both the chipmunk and chucks under the deck.

David

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Get a Jack Russell terrier. Jack’s find chipmunks (and squirrels, and moles, and rats) tasty snacks.

Jjoe

posted June 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I need to rent out my Weeniedor. It’s half lab and half dachshund. It’s a mutation that combines the relentlessness of a weenie dog with the intelligence of a lab.
I’ve had a lot of dogs, and this is the most cuddly, loving, sweet one ever. She’s so ugly, it’s cute. If someone broke in our house, they’d be rubbing her tummy before they loaded up the TV.
But — despite not even being knee-high, nothing is safe from it. It hunts every waking hour. Opossums, raccoons, snakes (3 this year alone), voles, squirrels, birds, turtles, rabbits, frogs, lizards, it doesn’t matter. You’ll see her in the yard with a foot of snake on each side of her snout, just shaking it like a polaroid picture. The largest rat I have ever seen in my life, the size of a rabbit I swear, lasted about 2 seconds. She’s not much larger than a big cat, but she’s gotten two of them that I know of (and she carries the scars).
She would eat 20 chipmunks and sit by the hole for hours in the rain, ignoring our calls and waiting for more.

Chris

posted June 12, 2009 at 7:26 am

I had a chipmunk problem once.
It can easily be taken care of with a 5 gallon bucket, a 2X4, and some sunflower seeds.
Fill the 5 gallon bucket half way with water. Cover the water with the seeds, lean the 2X4 up as a ramp. They will jump in, but cannot get out.