Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

The Facebook Generation

posted by Scot McKnight

Here are the characteristics of the Facebook Generation (via Fr Rob). What do you think?

1. All ideas compete on an equal footing.

2. Contribution counts for more than credentials.

3. Hierarchies are natural, not prescribed.

4. Leaders serve rather than preside.

5. Tasks are chosen, not assigned.

6. Groups are self-defining and -organizing.

7. Resources get attracted, not allocated.

8. Power comes from sharing information, not hoarding it.

9. Opinions compound and decisions are peer-reviewed.

10. Users can veto most policy decisions.

11. Intrinsic rewards matter most.

12. Hackers are heroes.

Peggy

posted March 30, 2009 at 4:45 pm

#12 makes me a little sad: hackers as heroes can have its place, but it is such a negative and destructive term — talk about baggage!
Other than that, I like most of the list … although I tend to move away from words like “all”….

adam lehman

posted March 30, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I’d join that church.
wait. is that a church? sounds like it ought to be.

Kacie

posted March 30, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Hmm.. I question the first one. All ideas are on equal footing? I guess I’d say we are willing to discuss any idea, but we are just as opinioned as any other generation about what we DO NOT accept.

Mark Baker-Wright

posted March 30, 2009 at 5:02 pm

This sounds accurate enough to my experience. I think there’s room for debate as whether it’s all universally a good thing….

RJS

posted March 30, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Opinion – some of it is true, some not – and I wish that some that is wasn’t and some that isn’t was.

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

RJS,
Have you been reading the grammar of Romans 7?

Dave Leigh

posted March 30, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I’d go to a church like that–for the most part. But I too have some discomfort with #12. The original article’s explanation helps a little:
12. Hackers are heroes.
Large organizations tend to make life uncomfortable for activists and rabble-rousers?however constructive they may be. In contrast, online communities frequently embrace those with strong anti-authoritarian views. On the Web, muckraking malcontents are frequently celebrated as champions of the Internet?s democratic values?particularly if they?ve managed to hack a piece of code that has been interfering with what others regard as their inalienable digital rights.

I think the church already has its share of power struggles. Even so, every institution should have some kind of fair and honest mechanism for the equitable treatment of the concerns of minority views. Rather than promoting coup-seeking mentalities, I would rather see an appropriate process in place for “malcontents” to be heard and helpfully addressed. Turning hackers into heroes seems to promote vigilante justice and the potential for policto-socio imbalance.

Rod

posted March 30, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I wonder what a theology of facebook.com would look like.

Matt

posted March 30, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hackers are only heroes if they allow you to steal other people’s intellectual property. If they steal your stuff or mess up your computer then they are villains. Maybe this is a symptom of the Facebook generation’s overall dislike of large corporations.

Joseph

posted March 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm

You can buy an iPod or an iPhone, but play with the hardware or software and see if you own it. If you figure out how to install an application you created on an iPhone you own, their position is what you’re doing is illegal. Hacking.
Anyway, the implications to organized religion of points 1-11 are way more interesting. Any church that isn’t on Facebook needs to wake up and smell the coffee. To me, the last remaining piece of the puzzle is how to administer the sacraments virtually.

Tim Bailey

posted March 30, 2009 at 7:55 pm

When I was a kid, I used to be able to get away with a church life, a school life, a sports team life, a party life….
Not anymore. Facebook wall and pictures make all worlds collide. Forced “integrity”. Now that I have teenagers in my home, I love it! ;)

RJS

posted March 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Scot (#6)
No – I haven’t gotten past Romans 5:12-21 yet. But as Wright claims this is one of the hardest passages to translate with some sentence having neither subject nor verb nor object … perhaps I’ve been corrupted.

RJS

posted March 30, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Tim,
Oh so true.

Kyle Nolan

posted March 31, 2009 at 12:55 am

“In the new company headquarters, there is little external discipline. Former hackers who dominate the scene work long hours and enjoy free drinks in green surroundings. A crucial feature of Gates as icon is that he is perceived as the ex-hacker who made it. One needs to confer on the term “hacker” all its subversive/marginal/anti-establishment connotations. Hackers want to disturb the smooth functioning of large bureaucratic corporations. At the fantasmatic level, the underlying notion here is that Gates is a subversive, marginal hooligan who has taken over and dressed himself up as a respectable chairman.”
-Zizek, Violence
Thought that was interesting.

Diane

posted March 31, 2009 at 8:34 am

Peggy,
Like you, I like most of this list–but also not hackers as heroes!

Karl

posted March 31, 2009 at 9:25 am

Interesting list. I agree with Kacie in #3 though, that the Facebook generation isn’t truly open to all ideas on an equal footing. Certain ideas that didn’t used to be open for discussion and debate now are, but others aren’t – or at least aren’t treated on an equal footing. Each generation or subculture has its own set of non-negotiables, whether they realize and acknowledge it or not. I would agree with a general statement that *more* ideas are treated as if they are on an equal footing than in most previous generations. At times that is good; at other times it is bad and even a little ridiculous.
I agree also that “hacker as hero” has some troubling implications unless significantly qualified and nuanced.

Flimm

posted April 6, 2009 at 11:36 am

When I saw the last item on the list, I smiled, because I did think that the list sounded awfully like the open source movement in software industry. (By the way, hacker here means programmer, not someone who tries to access other people’s computers illegally).

Maurice Lacroix

posted June 30, 2010 at 2:22 am

To be a noble lenient being is to be enduring a amiable of openness to the mankind, an cleverness to trusteeship undeterminable things beyond your own pilot, that can front you to be shattered in uncommonly outermost circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something very impressive thither the get of the honest autobiography: that it is based on a corporation in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it’s based on being more like a spy than like a sparkler, something fairly feeble, but whose extremely item attraction is inseparable from that fragility.