Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Behind the Scenes (by PW)

posted by Scot McKnight

In the HBO series “John Adams,” Adams calls Abigail, his wife, My Friend. He says she was his number one ballast; she was his advisor; and friend.

What one word best describes your relationship to your ministry spouse? What one word would your ministry spouse use to describe your relationship?

Scot McKnight’s response: when it comes to ministry situations with us, Kris is (among other things) my soundingboard and I think she would see herself as (among other things) supporter/analyst. It is rare after I speak that Kris doesn’t say something like “on that one point… it could have been set up better.” Helps every time. Every time.

Peter

posted March 12, 2009 at 5:26 am

Debrale is my anchor – I can’t even imagine how far adrift I would be after all these years….
And she calls me her “knight in shining armor,” but I think it’s just because she likes to see me blush.

Ted M. Gossard

posted March 12, 2009 at 6:35 am

Deb is my best and closest friend. She definitely complements me well. I do well to listen well to her, because when we disagree, most of the time she’s right. And she’s a faithful and true prayer warrior.

Jim Rolf

posted March 12, 2009 at 9:10 am

I don’t have one word, but I do have two: “secret weapon.” I run most of the decisions I make by Ann. And when I teach, I always depend on her to help me refine what I say. When I shine, it’s almost always because Ann put the polish and buff on me.

Eleanor

posted March 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

My husband is a nominal Christian at best. Yet we are wonderfully compatible in every other way. His gift to me is that he’s put up with my devout nature, he never discouraged me when I was in seminary, and he never complains about my various roles in local church leadership.
I can’t imagine me being so patient, flexible and good natured were it the other way around.

Michelle Van Loon

posted March 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

I have often called my husband Bill my pastor. Though he doesn’t have the title “Pastor” in his current vocational life, he has pastored me for nearly 30 years – praying with and for me, teaching me (via lots of spirited dialogue), challenging me, and encouraging me in the ministry to which God has called me.

barb hungerford

posted March 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm

what about those of us who don’t have a spouse and are in ministry?

PW

posted March 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Barb, good question. Perhaps you could comment on someone who is a clutch person for you? Who is it? How do you depend on them?

Phil Niemi

posted March 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Partner.

barb hungerford

posted March 15, 2009 at 8:47 pm

It ends up being family and friends who will listen, encourage and pray when you need it. Just wanted you to be sensitive to the labels you use… not everybody has a spouse.