Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

A-Rod Takes a Hit but …

posted by Scot McKnight

A-Rod.jpgA-Rod has taken the hit of public suspicion that more than a couple baseball players have taken steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs. Today he openly confessed that he took such drugs during the 2001-2003 seasons. But …

If A-Rod really means business, he needs publicly to stand up and declare that the Player’s Union must support frequent and random drug-testing of all players. The only way to end the suspicion and clean up the players is for the Player’s Union to side with the fans. We want clean players and to put a stop to (what Dan Gutman once called) Baseball Babylon. A-Rod, stand up for the fans and announce that the Player’s Union must stop protecting the players.

Jim

posted February 9, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I wish someone would stand up to the Player’s Union. I’m tired of America’s pastime being slowly discredited by this drawn out process of muckraking. We all know baseball was (or is) ridden with steroids but we need someone willing to stand up and bring dignity back to the game. Is it A-Rod…..probably not, but I hope that a MLB messiah comes soon.

Mike Mangold

posted February 9, 2009 at 11:41 pm

“If A-Rod really means business, he needs publicly to stand up and declare that the Player’s Union must support frequent and random drug-testing of all players.”
Why? How is using steroids any different than using Nautilus instead of free weights? Of of using creatine which is found in red meat? Or of drinking coffee before a 10k race? What a player decides to do to his own body (and the risks) is his own business, not that of major league baseball or the government.

art

posted February 10, 2009 at 12:48 am

@Mike Mangold
The questions you ask are non sequiturs.
For one, neither nautilus nor free weights have ever been banned from baseball. Neither are illegal. Both are accessible for anyone.
Same with red meat. It’s never been a banned substance. Same with coffee. It’s never been a banned substance (and it also would not help you before a 10K race…ask any distance runner).
I agree, fundamentally, that MLB or the government should not control, outright, what someone does or does not do with their body.
But when someone uses an illegal or banned substance, it is wrong. The rules of MLB have been put in place for similar reasons that our government puts rules in place: so that the game of baseball is played fairly and no one can cheat in order to gain an advantage.
Your argument does not hold up. For instance, the government should be able to limit my use of my favorite fountain pen. But when I use said fountain pen to cheat on my taxes or commit fraud, then I am in the wrong.
It has nothing to do with impinging on my liberty to use my fountain pen…it has everything to do with me violating laws.
I agree with Scot: someone, A-Fraud or otherwise, needs to stand up for what is right and make sure that people are not cheating. The best way is to call for frequent and random drug-testing of all players. Corporations can do it; baseball should do it as well.

Tyler (Man of Depravity)

posted February 10, 2009 at 12:50 am

PREACH IT! :)

chad m

posted February 10, 2009 at 12:58 am

what i’m fed up with is players only apologizing or saying sorry once they’ve been caught. this is something we in the church need to start speaking about. confession. repentance. we don’t wait to get caught in order to repent. it seems that A-Rod was perfectly content keeping this hush-hush [tricking us all] until he got caught. ugh.

Mike M

posted February 10, 2009 at 1:18 am

Art (#3): you don’t make sense. How can it be legal for a 15 year old girl to kill her fetus and yet illegal for a 30 year old man to use performance-enhancing nutrients? What I do to my own body is my own business,not yours or the government’s. If you stab someone with your hypothetical pen is one thing. If you use it to write a letter is another.

Darren King

posted February 10, 2009 at 2:04 am

And to think, baseball players do all this and half of them aren’t even athletes – by normal parameters. This would never happen in hockey!! :)

Rick

posted February 10, 2009 at 6:33 am

Mike #2-
“What a player decides to do to his own body (and the risks) is his own business, not that of major league baseball or the government.”
It is MLB’s business when it gives that player a potential unfair (short-term) advantage over those who want to excel and compete the legal and healthy way. Those who want to take such unhealthy short-cuts should not be allowed that advantage.

Rusty

posted February 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

I wish Bud Selig and Donald Fehr would stand up and confess their wrong. They should say, “Steroids were not illegal and we knew player were using them but didn’t care. We were coming off a strike and we needed players to perform at a high level to win fans back. We were wrong, the owners, managers, trainers, and players were wrong. We are trying to get it out of the game today but we admit we didn’t and even encouraged it before.”
The only problem I have with A-rod and other like him is their lying. Just confess most of us understand and would forgive. If I could take a legal pill and go from making 2 million to 20 million I would. So we get it and understand why you did it.
Bud Selig and Donald Fehr are the one who needs to come clean and people should be calling for his resignation because they knew it, condoned it, and let it go on because it made them money.

Barb

posted February 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I love baseball too–and wish that it was as pure as we want it to be. But, remember, it only seems like a religion :). As for A-rod, the Mariners had their best year after he left.

art

posted February 10, 2009 at 2:54 pm

@Mike M (#6)
You said, “How can it be legal for a 15 year old girl to kill her fetus and yet illegal for a 30 year old man to use performance-enhancing nutrients?
It’s illegal because they are banned substances. You could make the same nonsensical argument many different ways: “How can it be legal for a 15 year old girl to kill her fetus, yet illegal for me to smoke weed?”…”How can it be illegal for a 15 year old girl to kill her fetus, yet illegal for me to inject heroine into my eyeballs?”
It’s illegal for A-Rod to do what he did because the rules of baseball said so.
The rules of baseball also state that a baserunner must stay within the baseline when running around the bases. But wait! Baseball doesn’t have the right to tell a player where he can or can not go with his body movements, does it??
Well, yes…yes it does. You forget that each baseball team is a business that is part of the larger business of MLB. Businesses have the right to impose rules on their employees, whether or not their employees agree with them. If they don’t, they have every right to be employed elsewhere. But if they choose to be employed by a business, then they are under contract to follow the rules of said business.
You are correct, though, that I should not go around stabbing people with my fountain pen because that would be wrong. But would it not also be wrong to “write a letter” with my fountain pen that is part of a con job to steal money from elderly people? “Writing a letter” is not always legal. Which supports my point that baseball does not have the right to tell a player what to do with their body, but they do have a right to impose rules on the game and their employees who play the game; just like the government does not have the right to control my fountain pen, but does have a right to impose rules on what would constitute illegal actions made by me and my fountain pen.
It’s about rules, Mike. A-Rod violated well known, highly publicize rules while lying about it years ago on 20/20. His story then was that he never used any form of performance enhancing drugs nor ever felt the pressure to do so. Now the story is completely flipped: he used the performance enhancing drugs because he felt pressure to perform because of his large contract with the Rangers.
You can keep hammering the ‘it’s his body, he can do what he wants with it’ drum all you want. But the argument simply does not make sense…not in real life (i.e., drug laws), not in business life (i.e., employers have the right to make rules for employees), and certainly not in baseball.

All Mi T

posted February 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Tom S.

posted February 10, 2009 at 11:28 pm

To clean up the game, MLB should follow the example of the Olympics which keeps blood samples for about seven years after the competition. This may help deter those who may be tempted to cheat using human growth hormones or other designer steroids that cannot currently be detected by drug tests.