What makes January such a good month for sports?
1. Nope, not because we have hour to hour college bowl games between teams I don’t follow.
2. Nope, not because the Bears are out of the playoffs and that means we can watch better teams.
3. Nope, not because we can start gearing up for the Super Bowl.
4. Nope, not because NCAA college basketball now picks up the pace.
5. Yep, because in this cold we can think that in about six weeks the boys of summer will begin to gather in Florida and Arizona for Spring Training and begin, yet once again, the long gentle journey toward October … the World Series. (Actually, the NLCS … when baseball climaxes and then slides into a series with the American league and their silly form of baseball.)