Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed Books of the Year 2008

posted by Scot McKnight

At Beliefnet I am participating with other bloggers in nominating my top books of the year and here are my top picks. I’ve chosen books I’ve reviewed here and ones that drew either strong affirmation and great discussions.

Klyne Snodgrass’ complete study of the parables: Stories With Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus.

Tom Wright’s wondrous and suggestive book on the resurrection: Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church.

Chris Wright’s thorough examination of the Bible through the lens of missional: The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible’s Grand Narrative.

EHG

posted December 19, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I would agree with Wright’s Surprised by Hope. By the way, is anyone coming to Chicago for the Intervarsity Conference in a couple weeks, where he will be a featured speaker? If so, it might be a good time for people who post here to meet (to put a face with the names).

Your Name

posted December 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Agree with Suprised By Hope. I would also suggest the Blue Parakeet. I can’t remember the author, but… Seriously, it’s one of the best this year!

Rob

posted December 19, 2008 at 2:36 pm

#2 – According to Borders.com, the author is Ron Martoia! Slight mistake there.

Scot McKnight

posted December 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Rob #3:
Help me … does Borders still have Martoia as author of Blue Parakeet?

Erik Leafblad

posted December 19, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Scot,
I just checked borders.com and they do indeed have this Ron Martoia as the author.

Sam Andress

posted December 19, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Yup, you nailed it Scot. All three of these are outstanding and a gift.

Jon

posted December 19, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Totally hands down winners to me. I’m glad i already got them. I was already nervous to see a post on books which would nudge me on to get books. I didn’t know there were two authors to the book “the Blue Parakeet”…haha. How did Ron Martoia’s name get mixed up there?

Karl

posted December 19, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Snodgrass’ volume really is wonderful, and while it is indeed a very thick book it is broken into intuitive and easily navigable sections on each parable. I found it an excellent resource for research, a great tool for teaching with, and even a great companion for devotional readings of the parables. He really opens up each parable in ways that allows the natural power of their stories to come alive more fully. If there is only one book to own on the parables I would have to say this is the one!

John

posted December 22, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I totally agree with your selections, Scot. I bought Snodgrass’ book to track along with the other Jesus Creeders and found that it is an indispensable resource for studying and preaching on the parables. NT Wright’s book has been the most transformational book I’ve read in the last five years. Maybe more. Both of these will be viewed as classics by the next generation of Christian thinkers.

Curtis Honeycutt

posted January 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I echo Surprised By Hope. That book rocked my world and made me really rethink heaven, eternity, and the mission of the church. A must read.

Michael W

posted January 7, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I just started reading Christopher Wright’s book, The Mission of God. I just finished the first chapter, and was blown away by what he said about Postmodernity and Christianity. I am really excited to get further into this book.