Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by Jesus Creed Admin

I wonder if this is a Chicagoan peering into the beauties of Liechtenstein… and this Chicagoan gets a feel from a Netherlands shot why it was that Rembrandt could paint so well.

liechtensteing1.jpgrembrandtnature.jpg

Centurion ministries — good story.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and read the two addresses by Tim Gombis on our Trinitarian life. Good stuff.

Psalms, the school of prayer. From another magazine, Wineskins, a piece on immigration.

Mart DeHaan, of Radio Bible Class, takes a gentle, listening approach to the emerging movement. And in his critique he continues his reasonable approach.

Out of Ur spoofs “Url” — one of the great things about blogging is this kind of fun. Bethany Hoang has an interesting post on what we can do besides pray. Michael Spencer’s thoughts on common sins. Dan Kimball … on defining “marriage” … in a California voting context. Jim Martin’s profound question about living in thoughtlessness. Bob Robinson continues his series on the election with why evangelicals could vote for Obama. David Fitch on the temptation to be pragmatic. Karen passes on a piece about Johnny Cash theology.

Tom Smith’s post on atheist advertising.

Forgiveness as the way forward. (HT: RJS)

Recently I was told that many pastors are worrying about budgets.

Emergent Village morphs into a new form: Tony Jones steps down as EV National Coordinator and there will be a continued focus on grass-roots level conversations. Tony’s blog moves to Beliefnet.com. We offer here a collective thanks to Tony.

Wonderful story.

I’ll be in Pittsburgh today and here’s a site that has some live blogging and twittering.

Here comes winter …

snowgoose.jpg

1. Baseball, statistics, and health-care improvements.
2. Two parties, three “tendencies,” and a nice analysis. David Brooks is always reasonable.
3. Science and faith: a review of recent books that argue evangelicals can be evolutionists. It’s too bad Daniel Harrell’s book didn’t get into the mix.
4. WWJB?

Mayor Daley, when asked what happened to the Cubs, said “So, you gave the playoffs and the Series to the Phillies. Why the Phillies?! Why not just give it to the Mets!”

daleycubs.jpg

5. Joe Sixth-Sense.
6. This isn’t a blog post; it’s a newspaper article!
7. The Vatican develops more screening for evaluating potential priests.
8. ?All you need is three guys and a little boat, and the next day you?re millionaires.”
9. I was reading a chp in a book on prophesying godlessness when a friend sent me the fictitious letter of Dobson. It reads like an apocalyptic scenario.
10. Days of King David rediscovered.
11. Mbeki.

Sports:

Scary good athletes.

Please hide the Cubs highlights!

panda.jpg

On the Phillies winning the World Series. To begin with, baseball season ended when the NLCS ended because those American leaguers refuse to play real baseball — when the pitcher bats, we’ve got real baseball.

On the Phillies … my brother-in-law, Ron, told us in July the Cubs would not make it to the World Series because the Phillies were the best team in baseball.

That Isiah Thomas story is one odd story and one that draws pity instead of criticism.

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 2:21 am

Scot,
Great to see you left Mart DeHaan’s links on that. It has been great to get to know him over at RBC Ministries where I work, and I wish everyone in your blog world would have that same opportunity. He is a true friend of “emergents” and of all of God’s people. And quite knowledgeable yet humble at the same time. He knows better than to think he knows-it-all. He is a good model in the Lord for me. (hopefully this is not flattery, because I sure don’t want or mean it to be; our goodness is in the Lord (Psalm 16).

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 2:24 am

Psalm 16:2-3 especially (but the whole psalm as well)!

brad brico

posted November 1, 2008 at 6:23 am

Another great article by David Brooks.

Ben Wheaton

posted November 1, 2008 at 8:46 am

Actually, I think the David Brooks article wasn’t that great at all. He wasn’t “reasonable;” he was partisan (not in terms of political parties, but in terms of ideology). He framed the tendencies he sees in politics in such biased terms that it’s clear which side he stands for: the “middle.” But of course, everyone claims to be in the “middle.” The fact that he decides to extrapolate his own preferences to all of American history hardly reflects well on his judgment.

brad brisco

posted November 1, 2008 at 9:19 am

Ben, Brook describe what I have been feeling the last few weeks in regards to an opportunity lost. I liked his concluding paragraph:
“McCain would be an outstanding president. In government, he has almost always had an instinct for the right cause. He has become an experienced legislative craftsman. He is stalwart against the country?s foes and cooperative with its friends. But he never escaped the straitjacket of a party that is ailing and a conservatism that is behind the times. And that?s what makes the final weeks of this campaign so unspeakably sad.”

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 9:33 am

Scot,
I am saddened (and probably angered inside, but I must watch that) over the fictitious letter from Focus on the Family. I see this played out a little among Christians. And this sort of thing is what made me post about when Christ is not the center. I don’t want to be judging others, but this can be an example of that, I’m afraid.

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 9:35 am

Here’s the correct link for when Christ is not the center. Sorry about that.

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 9:44 am

I don’t mean to be self-promoting at all, I hope, in the above link. But was just thinking on this. I’ve been troubled by it, thinking that we’re missing the point when we draw divisions which end up making Christ divided- I’m afraid (cf: 1 Corinthians).

Luke

posted November 1, 2008 at 11:22 am

Wow, Dobson’s letter was hilarious! I’m surprised the among such a “professional” organization there can be something to unprofessional. I honestly had thought that most of the “end times” rhetoric had died down after the Left Behind series kind of got exposed, debunked, and lost a lot of steam. Anyways, at least I got a good laugh, I suppose.
Adding on to that, I wonder what a “hypothetical” letter written in 2000 about the big bad evangelical George W. Bush would look like? I wonder if people would have voted for the “pro-life” Republican if they knew we would be involved in two wars, if they knew the largest attack on native soil would occur under his watch (there a question, why all the rhetoric about all the terrorist attacks under Obama when the largest attach in our history happened under the watch of Bush?), if they knew we would have an economic meltdown, etc.
Christian rhetoric about politics really frustrates me. I commend people that don’t get involved and don’t vote.

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 1, 2008 at 11:39 am

Luke, I’m getting overly full of thought on politics today, but I know Christians who defend Bush to this day, and the war. Puts a black eye on us, I’m afraid. (and it’s interesting to see the defense of FOF by commenters on that CT political blog- I know plenty who believe all that, so we have a divide- but what to do with that?)
And it makes me wonder if we just almost automatically go off center when we veer so hard into politics. Seems like this is easily the case, to me. It’s something we need to do, but how to do it, and remain grounded well in Jesus as believing individuals and communities, is my question.
(sorry for all these comments today; I’ll cease for now)

Diane

posted November 1, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I loved Eugene Cho’s post on abortion; I’ve seldom read anything so thorough (It’s number 6: this isn’t a blog; it’s a newspaper article.) Michael Spenser on common sins was great too. I will read the Dobson piece now.

Diane

posted November 1, 2008 at 3:01 pm

As for the Dobson letter, glad you could get a good laugh out of it Luke, but unf. I couldn’t. Sounds more like what a Focus on the Family administration would bring to pass: jail sentences, ruined reputations, etc! I guess Dobson fears that what he would do in power is what will be done to him and his org. Bottom line, however: It’s the typical Dobson sleaze, which is my chief objection to Dobson. Not his religious or political beliefs but the sleazy way his organization operates. Why does he for a second allow things like that letter to come out under his name? Does he feel no shame at its sliminess? I guess we need to thank divine providence that Dobson’s not running for president. And how does FoF keep it’s tax exempt status? Is he going to get on his radio show once again and say without a pause that the org. was not trying to influence how its followers vote?

Dianne P

posted November 1, 2008 at 4:15 pm

The video of Johnny Cash performing Trent Reznor’s “Hurt”. Powerful message. No question in my mind – Cash “got it”.