Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

North Point

posted by Jesus Creed Admin

Saturday afternoon, about 3pm, Kris and I were sitting in the front row at North Point Church in Atlanta. I was mulling over what I was about to say when I realized that Bill Willits, a leader at North Point, was calling to the stage three friends of ours: Norton Herbst, Steven Redden, and Jason Malec. Three excellent, gifted, young leaders — and they have come together in a decision to plant a church in Denver. Bill barely managed to keep himself together … and we too … and yet it was a good moment. The kind of moment that many of you know — the commissioning of those you love to leave and strike up a new work somewhere else.

We were at North Point for another reason.

Bill Willits had invited me down to speak to small group leaders — and it’s pretty cool when the leaders number more than a thousand — about the The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
and the missional life that the Jesus Creed can create. So, in the morning I did a talk on the Jesus Creed and the need for us to develop a sacred rhythm of reciting the Jesus Creed at least twice a day. In the afternoon we did one on how the Jesus Creed can teach us to welcome (what I call) “blue parakeets” into our neighborhood. I’m persuaded that to become missional-minded we need to become more love-shaped. The habit of reciting the Jesus Creed can help. Wonderful people; great questions; challenging.

Between our sessions we attended Norton Herbst’s session on how to deal with serious theological problems in small groups — and I thought he did a marvelous job of teaching us to focus on the essentials and discerning when and where and how to diffuse heat. It was a good session. Then we got to chat with Jason and Norton and Brian and Bill and Terry over lunch. (By the way, Bill and Terry and Kris and I went out the night before to Wisteria when we learned that we have a common love of Italy.)

We think the world of North Point and these fine leaders … and so we got on the plane with thankful hearts that we were able to experience briefly God’s work at North Point and for the opportunity to participate in this wonderful work of God in Atlanta.

Terry Dischinger

posted November 11, 2008 at 4:32 am

Scot,
Thanks so much for sharing this post about your experience at North Point. I have had to privilege of visiting the church and meeting with their mission leaders a couple of times now. We, at the mission organization TEAM, are continuing to work together with North Point to forge a partnership in mission. Partnering together in mission with the local church being central to the work of mission is so important to the ongoing work of the gospel around the world. North Point understands this. They also have been a great encouragement to us for many other reasons as well. One is that they work hard at trying to raise up and mentor new missionaries right out of their congregation. They seem to truly desire to see some of their best and brightest enter into the work of overseas missions. Another is that the church is highly committed to missions work overseas. In the church landscape today, very few “mega-churches” place a strong emphasis on missions work and on the planting of new churches around the world. North Point is committed to this task as well as training national leaders to do the same. Also, North Point is such a great example of a church that is balanced in its approach of being outward focused upon the lost and the needs of the world and upon helping believers to be transformed in their walks with the Lord. I hope that more churches will look to the example of North Point in how local church can and should be involved in missions.
Terry Dischinger

Rick

posted November 11, 2008 at 6:38 am

Good to hear you got to spend some time with Bill (and deal with his unique sense of humor). He has given me valuable advice and assistance over the years which I have always appreciated.
It is a joy to watch those pastors who began Northpoint (Andy Stanley, Bill, Reggie Joiner, Lane Jones, etc…) at a young age really impacting the next generation of leaders through that church and the ministries it helped birth.

Norton

posted November 11, 2008 at 7:09 am

Thanks for your very kind words Scot. The honor was truly ours!

Stephen

posted November 11, 2008 at 7:44 am

Hey Scot,
Ditto to what Norton said. Jason, Norton, and I are really grateful for you and for this blog community. I can’t count the number of great and formative discussions we’ve had that were launched by a topic on your blog, and those discussions have both deepened our relationships personally and shaped our thinking. We are really excited about this new season of ministry ahead of us, and we look forward to continue learning from you and this community to inform how we minister to the community in Denver.
Also, may I say, that you were great on Saturday at our event. I have heard so many positive comments from our leaders about your contribution to the day. Having had the chance to watch you communicate on several occasions over the years, it is cool to see how your excellence as a communicator in that context has grown over the years. You are not only a gifted teacher but an excellent preacher as well. Thanks for making time to share with us and with our leaders.
-Stephen

Derek Leman

posted November 11, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Tips on how to diffuse heat might be useful. Any chance you might share a few of the tips? Did you take notes?

Steve Bradley

posted November 11, 2008 at 1:38 pm

As a North Point group leader, I wanted to thank you for coming down and spending time with us.
I especially appreciate your challenge to work the Jesus Creed into our daily rhythms — it’s such a simple, yet profound call to engage our hearts/heads/hands, and our whole being to love and connect with God and others. You’ve given me much to reflect upon, not to mention serving as the inspiration for several blog posts of my own :-)
Blessings

Jason

posted November 11, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Sweet story, I am just a little bugged that to read it I had to be asked how I am doing in my battle with menopause.

Jason

posted November 11, 2008 at 4:39 pm

It’s a bit personal, but I am doing fine. Thank you for asking. Love your stuff Scott, just still grumpy about this form of commercialism with the gospel.

Tony Stiff

posted November 11, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Scot wish I had known I would have tried to get a visitor pass. 1,000 small group leaders, quite a powerful tool of leaders and a sign of the vitality of the small group church mentality.
Blessings, Tony