Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

Come to Chicago’s friendly skies:
chicago-plane2.jpg
A friend and well-known New Testament scholar, David Scholer, has passed away. Peace be to his memory, his family, his colleagues and students, and upon all those who have been touched by this wondrous man. Erika’s reflections on David Scholer.
One of my former students, a former homeless young woman who is a brilliant musician and who was lifted from that life by a music teacher who cared, is now participating in this “missional” music work. Her name is Deborah Wanderley Dos Santos.
E-Church in South Africa. Check this site out.
Brian McLaren and Richard Land vlog. Eugene Cho has some careful reflections on the recent decision by the LPGA to push Korean women, who are more and more present on the tour, to learn English or else. Congrats to Don and Martha. Another must-read from Michael Kruse. David Fitch’s reflections on using Constantinian liturgy in a post-Constantinian world. Ed Gilbreath’s collection of webstuff on the historic Obama speech. Tom’s thoughts on roads and paths. Tamara’s experience of fellowship.
Check out Karen’s column.
Blue Parakeet reviews:
Nick Fox
David Phillips
NPU goes tray-less.
1.Happy Marriages.
2. The Amish opportunity.
3. Public schools and evolution and creation.
4. Brooks thinks Biden’s the right person for the VP.
5. Fukuyama on the world’s bullies.
6. Unclever McDonalds.
7. Wind turbines and grid-lock.
8. CT on Obama and the DNC.
9. Obama and writing his speeches.
10. Drumroll please … THEY DID IT!
Sports:
Here’s the great Cubs site!
womensbball.jpg

Mike Bird

posted August 30, 2008 at 3:47 am

Scot,
I think there is a mistake in the Olympic photo at the bottom. Surely the Australian flag should be in the middle!

Tom Smith

posted August 30, 2008 at 4:55 am

Thanks for your links Scot. I appreciate it – and also for keeping a South African presence on your blog!

Katherine

posted August 30, 2008 at 6:49 am

I had the pleasure of reading some of David Scholer’s work on women in the church in my research for an exegesis paper on 1 Timothy 2. His work played an appreciable part in helping me form and articulate to myself what I actually believed in this area, and I am grateful to him for that. I never met him, but even his writings exuded warmth and graciousness.

Diane

posted August 30, 2008 at 8:35 am

I found it interesting that the Amish population in the U.S. has almost doubled in 16 years and happy to see an alternative Christian lifestyle thriving. That’s a different kind of diversity than what we usually hear about.
I recently read a good book about the Schwartzentruber Amish of northern Ohio called Plain Secrets. Has anyone else read it?
For those on the blog who “know” me, I’ve been out of circulation recently because of a move to rural southern Ohio. I’m am glad to be settled enough to be able to participate in JC again.

RJS

posted August 30, 2008 at 9:00 am

Diane,
Welcome back.
I found it interesting that the article claims that 4 of 5 children remain in the Amish community. A higher retention rate than evangelical churches seem to claim.

Diane

posted August 30, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Thanks RSJ,
I don’t know much about the Amish, but Plain Secrets illustrated that it can be hard to leave their culture for ours, especially with only an eighth-grade education.

Michael W. Kruse

posted August 31, 2008 at 7:02 am

Thanks for the link.

Doug Allen

posted August 31, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for the good links, Scot. A wonderful biking accomplishment, an article on teaching biology that reminds me of some of my teacher friends and associates in Colorado, and political links that can be positive without putting any one down.