Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

A Bird’s Eye View of Paul

posted by xscot mcknight

Michael Bird, an excellent young professor, gives us something we really need: a readable, up-to-date, avoid-the-fads approach to the apostle Paul. The book is for students, college and seminary and adult classes. Cleverly, Mike Bird calls his book A Bird’s Eye View of Paul. The wit of the title is matched by the wit in the book. It’s fun, it’s readable, and I hope you buy it. And I hope if you teach Paul that you will use this book.
I’ve got a backlog of books and I thought I’d use the month of June to get some of these in. I’ll be reviewing more books than usual, but you take your pick. We’ve got a bumper crop of some good, new books.
Well, what’s in Bird’s Bird’s-eye? Good question.
He has a nice panorama of how we approach Paul: persecutor, missionary, theologian, pastor and martyr. Then he has a nice chp on Paul’s conversion, the various stories that come to play in Paul’s own story and theology, a sketch of Paul’s letters (just the right length, too), a wonderful summary of Paul’s gospel and his eschatology and his christology, and then two nice chps on ethics and spirituality.
This is a book that I will be recommending all the time.

Michael W. Kruse

posted June 5, 2008 at 4:21 am

I bought this book a few weeks ago but haven’t quite gotten to it yet. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Brad Cooper

posted June 5, 2008 at 6:55 am

Now on my Amazon Wish List….Thanks, Scot! :)

Rob

posted June 5, 2008 at 7:56 am

If anyone has read this book, I’m curious what level of treatment is given to the New Perspective? Hopefully a good amount?

Scot McKnight

posted June 5, 2008 at 7:57 am

Rob,
A nice sketch of the NPP; Mike wrote another book that tossed peace into the NPP discussion.

Dan Reid

posted June 5, 2008 at 9:30 am

I agree, this is an excellent introduction to Paul! IVP-USA will be publishing it next spring (2009), and (despite Scot’s enthusiasm for the U.K. title) under a different title: Introducing Paul.
Dan Reid
IVP Academic

Nick Mackison

posted June 5, 2008 at 9:33 am

Agreed Scot. It’s a peach of a book. I’m reading it just now and have put all other projects aside. He seems to have a remarkable balance in that he walks a fine line between the NPP and a Reformed perspective. Bird seems to draw the good stuff from both viewpoints without fully endorsing either and in so doing gives a fresh and satisfying read.
Shame the title is changing for the US version. How about: “Bird Eye for the Lay Guy”? ;)

Scot McKnight

posted June 5, 2008 at 9:37 am

Dan,
Where’s the humor in IVP? This is a memorable title; Introducing Paul is bland. How about this for a title?
If You Want to Walk with Paul, You Better Have Good Balance!

Ted M. Gossard

posted June 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I should have been a teacher somewhere with a budget that allows myself to buy this book and use it for the students.
But hopefully many will do so. And I hope I get to read it, as well.

Dianne P

posted June 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm

it’s out of stock at amazon ;-( but on my wish list there ;-)

Matt Walsh