Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

The Parable of the Jesus Creeders

posted by xscot mcknight

This post is from Peggy Brown. She gets to the very heart of what this blog is all about and we are grateful to her for this.
The Parable of The Jesus Creeders
By Peggy Brown (4/25/08)
Down in County Blodgom, there is a quaint little town called Scotsville. While it?s pretty much like any other town in the county, it gets more traffic than the rest of ?em. And I?m tellin? you this story to explain why I think that is. It?s on account of the One T Saloon and the Jesus Creeders.
Scot ?One T? McKnight, and his bride Kris, moved into town some three years ago and built them, well, just about the finest saloon imaginable. There?s somethin? for just about everyone there: the best tastin?, smellin? and soundin? coffee around; an amazin? variety of cold brews to wet your whistle (with an equally amazin? selection of glasses and mugs and cups to drink ?em out of!); mouth-waterin?, home made victuals; and a couple of the biggest dang poker tables you?ve ever seen?with more chairs than you?d ever want to have to polish!
If folks are a-comin? into town, they?re headin? for the One T to see who?s at the tables swappin? tales and playin? cards?and hopin? there?s a conversation that catches their fancy. If not, well ? the food and drink still makes it worthwhile. Some folks just enjoy sittin? a spell in one of the rockers out on the big ole porch, listenin? through the windows to the stories bein? told. And, believe me, there are lots of amazin? stories. Scot McK humbly says: “I may own this here establishment, but all I do is suggest topics and ask questions and mostly let folks have their say.? (And if you believe that, well ? lucky for you, we don?t take advantage of strangers!) Anyway, time spent at the One T is almost always time well spent?as long as you don?t run afoul of the Sheriff?s Deputies.
Now, the Sheriff, he don?t actually show his face much in town, but he?s got Deputies just about everywhere. And he don?t have lots of laws to enforce, neither?just one: Love God and Love Others. The folks who live in Scotsville, and especially them as frequent the One T Saloon, work hard at helpin? each other get this one law right. McK calls this law The Jesus Creed, and he?s serious about runnin? him a peaceable, law-abidin? establishment. Folk have taken to callin? his ?regulars? the Jesus Creeders.
On any given day, at any given time, the saloon is full of town folk relaxin? from a hard day?s work. Some are havin? coffee and a bite to eat, while others are at the bar lookin? for somethin? to wash down the dust of the trail. The ones who frequent this town in their travels usually sit down to a friendly hand of poker — to hear what’s goin? on in the world as much as to play. They welcome strangers to play because, well, they?re a right friendly group — although they?ve been known to get mighty serious about the game — and the conversation. But, best of all, everyone?s welcome: experts and novices alike! You never know who you?re gonna learn more from?there?s lots of surprises to be had, for those willin? to listen.
Well, every once in a while, the swingin? doors get shoved open by someone who has heard of this group of chattin? card players — or is drawn in by the sounds heard from out in the street. They make their way over to one of the tables and pull up a chair (they?re big tables, remember, with lots of chairs around). Everyone’s busy lookin? at their cards and ponderin? how they’re gonna to play ?em (and there?s usually a fair number of side conversations runnin? all at the same time) — when the new arrival leans in and mutters: “Well, if this don?t look like a bunch of them players who make up their own rules and take advantage of strangers — as likely to cheat as look at you. I bet this game ends up out in the street. Your bartender probably cuts the whiskey, too.”
Now, if he hears that kind of talk, McK leans over and tells the stranger, “Friend, we welcome you to this table. But I have to tell you that your tone of cynicism and despair, well, it disturbs me. Folks as come here to chat and play come to this table with a spirit of honesty and openness. I think, if you’re willin? to watch and listen and see how we play, you’ll find this an honest game.”
Sometimes the stranger apologizes and admits that he brought some baggage to the table from a previous conversation. Sometimes not. A number of hands and conversations go by and the talk takes a turn that requires some intense listenin? — one of our beloved (and every once in a while, someone who?s been out rockin? on the porch) is sharin? some deep pain or personal conflict.
And then it happens. Someone forgets the law and raises their voice, fixin? to call someone out for cheatin? or lyin? or talkin? too much or gettin? off topic! Criminitley!
And danged if things don?t pretty much goes down hill from there.
But not for long.
See, nobody at these tables is packin? iron, friend. Most of ?em are brothers and sisters in Christ. They work hard to listen and not jump down each other’s throats. Sometimes they do better ?n other times. But there?s plenty among ?em who have tender spots around some of McK?s topics. So, they?ve learned to try to approach each other with questions that are full of grace and mercy and love, not accusations about ?rhetoric? and ?invective? ? and other high falutin? words. You know?givin? each other the benefit of the doubt. Treatin? folk the same as they?re wantin? to be treated.
They?re a pretty mixed bunch, them Jesus Creeders, holdin? about as many different views as you can imagine on just about every topic McK tosses out! And you don’t have to agree with ?em, either (and that?s one of the best things about ?em, if you ask me). You do, however, have to listen with respect and respond with love. Because the law in this here town is The Jesus Creed. And John and I (among others) sometimes feel obliged to slip on our Deputy badge when McK is out playin? golf or teachin? or whatever. (I hear tell he?s got him another job besides the saloon, if you can believe it!)
Anyway, some Deputy may ask you to step outside for a spell, to remind you about our law?not to shoot you or haul you off to jail! Heaven?s no! And then you’re welcome to come on back and take your seat at the table. There?s a whole lot of helpful conversation takin? place ? and lots of fun and laughs, too ? and we don?t want anyone to miss out.
Jesus Creeders ? good folk enjoyin? good fellowship by lovin? God and lovin? others.

mike rucker

posted April 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

you wrote that in a Cracker Barrel restaurant, didn’t you…
peggy, i thoroughly enjoyed this piece. well done.
They?re a pretty mixed bunch…
an understatement … was that intentional?
i heard a U2 song on the radio y’day and the lyric that caught my ear was “when all the colors bleed into one.” you, miss peggy, have painted us in bright colors that reflect quite poetically off the Sheriff’s badge; thank you.
(and one more thing: thanks for calling us ‘pretty’.)
mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa

Diane

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:27 am

Nice job Peggy! Now I have to start visitin’ your “saloon” … or is it “salon?”

Jim Martin

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:36 am

What a great post. She captures the spirit and intent of this blog very well. I’m glad you posted this Scot.

Duane

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:46 am

Very clever–nice!

MatthewS

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:46 am

Nice story telling, Peggy!

My 2 Cents

posted April 28, 2008 at 6:33 am

Hey Miss Peggy, thanks a bunch!

John Frye

posted April 28, 2008 at 7:05 am

Well, Pardner Peggy, let’s mosey on into the saloon and toss back a few and chat. Them there vittles is good. And you done good, too. Old “One T” is mighty pleased. Why, he’s bustin’ his britches with glee over the goin’s on in Scotville. Them Jesus Creeders are a awful fine bunch of cowpokes. Yeehaaa!

Allie

posted April 28, 2008 at 7:21 am

That is really cool. Reading that made my day. Thanks for posting that. By the by, I don’t play poker.

Preacherman

posted April 28, 2008 at 8:12 am

Peggy you nail it.
Wonderful post! :-)
Keep it up!
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Heather

posted April 28, 2008 at 8:34 am

Shameless plug time!! Reading this post reminded me of the opera that we’re working on here at North Park, Carlisle Floyd’s “Susannah.” (The dialect, not the content!) If you’re not familiar with the opera, it’s set in a small town in Tennessee in the 1950’s. It should spark very interesting conversation if anyone is in the Chicagoland area this weekend (Friday@7:30 and Sunday@3:00).
Here’s the website: http://www.northpark.edu/home/index.cfm?northpark=RNews.RNews_Story&ID=2679
All of that business aside, this was a very enjoyable read, and I think Peggy’s story represents beautifully the community at Jesus Creed. Well done!

Heather

posted April 28, 2008 at 8:35 am

I don’t know why Sunday at 3:00 came up as a link. Please ignore that. The NPU link is good.

Richard

posted April 28, 2008 at 8:54 am

Hey, anybody know how to ride a horse :)?
Good stuff Peggy, my hat’s off to you.

Anni

posted April 28, 2008 at 9:01 am

Great read, Peggy! It brought a smile to my face this morning. This porch sitter does enjoy listening in on the conversation inside the saloon. It is soothing to my weary soul without having to play at the table, but I’ve gotta tell you, the coffee on the porch is just fine.

sheryl

posted April 28, 2008 at 9:15 am

Great story Peggy! I too enjoy moseying up to the Saloon and listening in on the conversations, not always commenting. What I love about this “place” is that the rules are fair and the people really try to live the Creed. It’s a regular part of my day.

Matthew

posted April 28, 2008 at 9:16 am

You do have one of the best blogs in the blog world.

Bob Brague

posted April 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Peggy, great job! It reminded me a little of Garrison Keillor’s “The Lives of the Cowboys” and also, inexplicably, an old song called “Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott?” :)
Are we to assume that you and John are One-T’s deputies all the time or just while he is over there in Africa for a couple of weeks? Because I’m very particular about who I submit to. :) :)

Bob Brague

posted April 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I mean, about to whom I submit….

posted April 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Shucks, folks… 8) It was fun to do and I’m pleased as punch to have rustled up so many simley faces. :)
Mike #1, would you believe I’ve never been into a Cracker Barrel? I have, however, spent my fair share of time in the South and with Southern folk.
The first voice running through my head while I was writing was Wilford Brimley — in so many of the Louis L’Amor movies that my husband and I love and especially as the narrator in “Last of the Dogmen.”
The other was Pat Buttram from “Green Acres” — but especially as the Sheriff of Nottingham from Disney’s “Robin Hood” … that’s where I learned “criminetly” so many years ago.
…and this was about the most “intentionally” dense thing I’ve written in quite a while.
Diane #2, Hehehe…The Abbey has a bit of a different atmosphere — and accent! ;)
John #7 — 8) Boy howdy, indeed!
Allie #8, There’s usually a good game of “Go Fish” or “Crazy Eights” or, one of my favorites, “Dominoes” … you do have to watch out for those as like to bump the table, though…. ;)
Bob #17, Ole “One T” may own the saloon, but he ain’t the Sheriff, if you catch my drift. No, John and I aren’t the only ones — just the ones with the itchiest fingers, I reckon. I’ve seen Deputy badges show up out of lots of different pockets. We Jesus Creeders all submit to each other out of respect for the Sheriff…so you might just want to ponder that a spell and see if that makes it go down a bit smoother.

Charlotte

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Hehe, I loved this! So delightful.

John Frye

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Deputy Peggy (#18),
The characters I “hear” are Robert Duvall and Kevin Coster in *Open Range.* Well, I guess I’ll go “rustle up some grub.” :)

posted April 28, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Deputy John (#20),
Isn’t that fun how we have character voices we hear with? Speaking of which … I’m a-hearin’ some “grub rustlers” down in the kitchen, now that my young-uns is home from school … I best git down there afore they empty the cookie jar! :D

Ted M. Gossard

posted April 28, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Yeah. So true and well said, Peggy. I need to get back here more often. I can just smell the coffee now.

posted April 28, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Howdy, all!
In an e-mail to Scot about this post, I riffed a bit on the different characters — like we did a while back. Here’s what I said, just in case anyone else wants to ante up…. 8)
“I, of course, am envisioning an entirely new cartoon/T-shirt ? with the inside of the One T Saloon and all the tables and chairs and our regulars ? hehehe. I am also, of course, looking for folks to write in and place themselves in context with some town characterization ? barber, blacksmith, general store, laundry, doctor, dentist, seamstress/tailor, undertaker, banker, justice of the peace, parson, bartender, baker, butcher, handy-man, librarian, livery stable, the piano player and a few other musicians/singers/dancers, restaurant workers/cook/dish washer, school marm ? then there?s the settlers who live in the farms just outside of town, and the folks who come through regular-like on business, and those who drift through. Hehehe?.
I think of myself, don?t ya know, as ?Ma? Brown — who runs the Boarding House upstairs from the Saloon (no brothel to be found in Scotsville!) ? whose three young boys keep the floors and porch kept clean and see to the horses out front and run errands and hang on every word of the great stories. My husband ? well, y?all don?t know him, but he?s a Louis L?Amour man ? that ?tall, dark stranger of the prairie? who?s just minding his own business, taking care of his family, yet somehow manages to end up being around just when folks are needin? a helping hand.”
Any takers? Y’all probably have more important things to do … Nah! ;)

MatthewS

posted April 28, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Peggy,
I love it. If people were to tell their story or verbally draw their picture of this community, we would all benefit. From each person we would learn a different perspective, as well as learn about the author/artist him/herself. Each view is an interpretation affected by experience. It would be fascinating to see a collection of such interpretations.

MatthewS

posted April 28, 2008 at 7:07 pm

John #20,
Great movie. My wife and I laughed ourselves silly at the scene where Costner and Duvall can’t fit their fingers into the china teacups.

Michael W. Kruse

posted April 28, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Great post, Peggy! But when do you suppose the salon keeper is going to wise up and start serving Calvinus Beer? :)

Jonas Borntreger

posted April 28, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Peggy: Who was that grizzled character on Hee Haw that always came out, banged on some pot and announced ‘what’s for dinner?’ Collard greens and grits; good old down home vittles; the stikin to the ribs kind. Yah! Maybe that’s me.

My 2 Cents

posted April 28, 2008 at 9:49 pm

I was kind of thinking about how Marty McFly in Back to the Future III…
Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen: What’s your name, dude?
Marty McFly: Uh, Mar-, uh… Eastwood. Clint Eastwood.
Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen: What kind of stupid name is that?
or
Marty McFly: Listen, you got a back door to this place?
Bartender: Yeah, it’s in the back.

Mike Mangold

posted April 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Well done, Miss Peggy. Not medium rare.
No brothel? Shucks.
I’m the 3-legged dog who’s looking for the no good dirty varmin who shot my Paw!

posted April 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Michael #26,
I just run the Boarding House … you’ll have to find the bartender to get that question answered?
Is the bartender out there somewhere? 8)
Jonas #27,
An old pot? That’s only for wagon train “camping” — I bet McK will spring for a honest-to-goodness bell for you to ring out on the One T’s porch! :D
Mike #29,
Sorry about your Paw … is there a veternarian in town?
….about 30 years ago, just before I left for the mission field, my sister and I went to one of those old time photographers out in Rockford, MI … and I dressed up as a saloon girl with the feather boa and all … everyone calling me “Miss Peggy” here is making me think of that “Miss Kitty” picture and wishing I still had it. LOL!

Mike Mangold

posted April 28, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Peggy: you still can get those Miss Kitty pics at Great America. I’ll even sell you my discount Coke cans to get in! Oh, and Gurnee, IL is about halfway between me an Scot McKnight…

posted April 28, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Mike,
I’ve been to Gurnee, IL! Small world…but I’m out in the rugged Pacific Northwest … and I might just have to get me one of them old western family pictures of the whole Brown Clan … hmmm….

Mike Mangold

posted April 28, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Peggy: I’m so glad for your imaginative exercise. I’m sure it made Dr.McKnight smile and I appreciate that, especially since he spent most of Friday morning exercising his diplomatic muscles in the “Out of Africa” blog. I think you made his smile muscles stronger.
Please check out the “photography” link on the Rockford, MI website. Even if you don’t find a copy of your long lost Miss Kitty photos, you’ll be spendidly impressed by the love of Jesus attitude there.

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:14 am

Mike,
What Rockford, MI website with a photography link are you talking about?

Mike Mangold

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:22 am

Google “Rockford, MI”
Click on “Photography”
Be pleasantly surprised by the love of Jesus there!

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:38 am

Is this someone you know? Lovely site.

JoanieD

posted April 29, 2008 at 5:39 am

Wonderful, Peggy! I am not as much a regular here as some of you, but I always enjoy it here and I point it out to others to read. I am reading Scot’s book, “The Real Mary” right now and have read his online series on the Kingdom. Way to go, Scot!
Peggy, I love the “One T Saloon” name. Cute!
Joanie D.

Bob Brague

posted April 29, 2008 at 6:56 am

Miss Peggy (too much like saying Miss Piggy for my taste), re your #18 post, in which you say “Ole One-T may own the saloon but he ain’t the Sheriff, if you get my drift”:
Jesus as Sheriff and all of us as His Deputies is an image that just doesn’t resonate with me. Sorry. Too much law and not enough grace. But this thread is loads of fun nonetheless.

Allie

posted April 29, 2008 at 7:06 am

Well, Pardner Peggy, I reckon I’ll go join me a game of Go Fish. Just watch out–I’m a mean cuss when playing hearts–meaner than a rattlesnake mama watching her babies.

mike rucker

posted April 29, 2008 at 7:51 am

scot – you got me blocked or something? i’ve been tryin’ ta slap up somethin’ i was thinkin’ but it keeps disappearin’…
this thing takes html b’s and i’s, don’t it?

mike rucker

posted April 29, 2008 at 7:57 am

SCOT – TURN THESE COMMENTS OFF BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE – PLEASE!!!!
they’re goin’ ta lock us all up for …
ADD – Apostrophe Danglin’ Disorder!!!!
this guy’s cussin’ and them gals is fussin’ and i just know someone is somewhere a-rustlin’ up some cracklin’ bread (actually, i don’t think you have to “rustle up” that treat, but it fits… [watch it – cheap pun coming…] so shoot me).
and my kids are comin’ home from schoolin’ where they bin learnin’ their readin’ and writin’ and AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
(sounds of guy gettin’ thrown thru saloon openin’)
(pause)
so … is the role of town drunk still available?
you know, what’s so funny is that in all the commotion i forgot what it was that i was fixin’ ta do…
mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Criminetley, Mike … when you remember what you was gonna say, come on back! Sometimes extra long posts get stuck in Scot’s spam filter … so there’s still hope he’ll find it.
Bob,
You can always call me Ma Brown ;) … I’ve had way too much “Miss Piggy” in my lifetime, I can assure you. 8)
And I was actually suggesting that the Holy Spirit is the Sherrif, not Jesus (don’t want to split Trinitarian hairs too close, now) — because it is the Holy Spirit who confronts and convicts us of sin in our hearts. Hope that makes better sense.
Come to think of it, I don’t even think that Scotsville has a jail….

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Hey, JoanieD #37!
I just got my copy of “The Real Mary” yesterday. Looking forward to reading it.
Allie #39,
Hehehe … I’ll just mosey on back to the Hearts table now and again to make sure you’re all rattle and no venom, now, sister. ;)

Christopher Cottingham

posted April 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm

That saloon sounds, well, pretty heavenly. Wish it were physical as well as virtual…I’d enjoy playing (sorry, playin’) some cards with you folks and letting (lettin’, that’s hard!) y’all teach me about brews. :)

Bob Brague

posted April 29, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Ah’m a-hankerin’ fer a good game o’ Mexican Train Dominos, or is that Dominoes, myself. Hearts is fer sissies.

posted April 29, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Bob … careful now with the name calling … 8)
I’ll meet you for that Dominoes game … just as long as you can play at a decent clip. My sister used to take so long to decide what to lay down we’d forget whose turn it was ….
Christopher … hehehe … we all have to find ways to bring the virtual to life in our circumstances, don’t we?

posted April 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Bob … careful now with the name calling … 8)
….if this posts twice, please forgive me!

Bob Brague

posted April 29, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I forgive you. I forgive you. Dang!

posted April 29, 2008 at 3:39 pm

… 8)

John Frye

posted April 29, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Sittin’ over thar in that dark corner of the One T with his cowboy hat down over his eyes is Judd Frye (before he died in the musical “Oklahoma”). He might seem like he’s asleepin’, sittin’ thar all peaceful and unconcerned like, but don’t let’m fool ya. He’s got a sharp eye on the place and a itchy finger on the trigger of his squirt gun. You get too big for yore britches and hot under the collar at the old One T and old Judd’ll cool you down right quick like with a few pulls on the trigger. (music from “The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly fades as comment ends). :)

Dianne P

posted April 29, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Peggy,
I am currently patting myself on the back (and throwing my shoulder out in the process) for recognizing this as a “classic” on your original post.
My joy here is to see that Scot has given this great writing an even more public viewing in our fine town.
May I (oh so) humbly point out to Scot that this is one fine story (yes indeed, a fictional story!) that brings forth many enjoyable truths.
Congrats for a “great story” sister,

posted April 29, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Dianne P … oh, stop … I’m blushing and your shoulder needs a rest! 8)
…and, John, I’ll be sure to steer clear of “Judd” and his water pistol!