Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Spring Birding

posted by xscot mcknight

We’ve seen some old (bird) friends, some new ones … we’ve seen lots of birds this Spring:
…. no hummers at the feeders yet.
Horned Grebe (new one for me)
img_3060_horned_grebe.jpg
Eastern Bluebird
Ruby crowned Kinglet
Black-and-White Warbler
Magnolia Warbler

Andie Piehl

posted April 20, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Where are your pix, Scot? I know what a few of these are, but most of them are unfamiliar to this Texan.

Scot McKnight

posted April 20, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Andie,
There you go, I just up a horned grebe picture.

RJS

posted April 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm

No sparrows?

Michelle Van Loon

posted April 20, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Isn’t it amazing to hear birdsong this spring? It sounds like pure joy after this too-long winter.

Andie

posted April 21, 2008 at 11:38 am

Thanks, Scot. These are beautiful. As we were driving back from California, I saw many, many scissor tails. We used to have those in abundance around here, but I haven’t seen many for the last 5-8 years. Don’t know why.

RJS

posted April 21, 2008 at 11:58 am

Is a Northern Loon different from the Common Loon and if so – how? (I tried google first – and couldn’t find Northern Loon.)

Scot McKnight

posted April 21, 2008 at 1:40 pm

RJS,
You might have me there; I’ve always called them Northern Loons. From what I can tell they go by both names:
Great Northern Diver (Loon) or
Common Loon.
They are anything but common.

RJS

posted April 21, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Common Loons are great – when I was a kid and a teen I heard and saw them only up in or near the Boundary Waters area of Northern Minnesota at camp and just camping.
They have recovered to mate and spend the summers further south in MN these days – including Aitkin County where my parents spend the summer. Two or three mating pairs reside on the lake at my parents (oh and did I mention the Bald Eagle and the Great Blue Herons and … I saw the last several summers). Pollution/pesticide control works – none of these were on the lake when I spent summers there from ca. 1964-1981.

Ted M. Gossard

posted April 21, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Wonderful to hear the birds singing in the mornings here, and what great pics!