Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Now Brewing: Waialua Coffee

posted by xscot mcknight

A very kind reader of Jesus Creed sent Kris and me a package of Waialua Coffee from Hawaii (north shore), and we are now brewing and drinking it. [I couldn't find the home site; this site sells Waialua.]
Waialua is a smaller bean, but it pulls a wonderful, rich crema; it has great Nachgeschmack; the aroma in the kitchen is pleasant.

Steph

posted March 30, 2008 at 11:44 am

i’m heading there for a fast trip in may for a wedding. i’ll try to find some!

Kacie

posted March 30, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Scott, I have a question. I love coffee, particularly some of my favorite Chicago brands. However, I react strongly to caffeine and am generally trying to stay away from it. Do you have any suggestions for great decaf? I’d like to order some online.
Kacie

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Kacie,
This might need a medical doctor. Don’t most of these brands of coffee — say, Intelligentsia — have a decaf variety? That’s where I’d begin.
Anyone out there know?

AaronJ

posted March 30, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Kacie,
You know, I’ve only been impressed with one companies’ decaf – Seattle’s Best. They have a chemical free/swiss water decaf called Organic Twilight. Haven’t tried it, but good chance it is as good or better than their other stuff.
I’m not sure how sensitive you are to the caffeine, but most decaf can have up to about 2.5% caffeine still present in it.

Kacie

posted March 30, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, most companies have a decaf variety, but like Aaron said, I’ve heard a lot of people say they are unimpressed with the decaf brews. I can’t handle 2.5% caffeine… that’s enough to wake me up a little, but not make me jittery!

Christine

posted March 30, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Nachgeschmack?? :-)

Scot McKnight

posted March 30, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Christine,
German for “after taste.”

Luke

posted March 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm

NT scholars are amazing. Not only do they know Hebrew and Greek (both very well), but they also know French and German as well. Add English on top of that, that’s 5 friggin languages. How in the world do you do it Scot?

Sarah

posted March 31, 2008 at 7:50 am

Thanks for the Hawaiian (manually ground) latte. Even the Hawaiian foam was delish. – Sarah and TK

chris

posted March 31, 2008 at 9:17 am

Sorry about the busted website, I think they no longer sell the coffee direct hence they took down their website.